IM Lake Placid 2024

Couldn’t find a thread to discuss all things for this years race.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the water has been above the wetsuit cut off (76.1F) in the past? Anyone local to LP who may have insight into the current/expected temp? How much time am I losing if I don’t have a swim skin? Thanks.

The pro list is good: Lionel, Foley, Currie, Skipper, Pohl, Metz, Jackson on the men’s side

When is the last time IMLP has had a pro field that good? Potts won a number of years without my competition. Prior to that, Lessing and Bolton were the last two winners I can think of where Placid had exciting pro races. This should be good! such a good course.

I don’t think you need to worry about it being too warm for wetsuits. Mirror lake hardly ever gets that warm, as far as I know.

I’ve been watching the temps. Seems to fluctuate a lot. 72 now.

No need to worry, IMLP will be wet suit legal. I’ve done the race every year and if my memory is correct, there was only 1 year that it was too warm and if you wore a wetsuit, you were not eligible for a Kona slot.

I’m actually up in LP training on the course and did a swim yesterday. I’m not sure of the official water temp in Mirror Lake, but it’s cool/comfortable. Looking at the weather for the next couple of weeks, the high is in the 70’s or 80’s (Fahrenheit), which means that the water temperature will remain below the wet suit limit. In the evenings, the temps are in the 50’s, which really cools the air and water down.

The challenging part is going to be the new bike section from Jay on Stickney Bridge Road. My HR jumped up into Zone 4 during the ride today.

It’s been a “wetsuit optional” swim precisely once.

Unless you’re harboring Kona dreams: plan on wearing the wetsuit, period.

Can folks weigh in on lodging for the race? How’s that situation this year? Looking to perhaps race in 2025 and if I did I’d want one of the hotels in town, and interested to hear from folks staying in town their experiences booking and stuff.

There is still availability for hotels in LP in 2024, and it’s less than 3 weeks before the race.

Right in town are the Hampton Inn ($550 per night) and the Crown Plaza ($370). About 1/2 mile out is the Courtyard Marriott ($500). Also, near the start/finish is the Devlin (it normally sells out) and the Golden Arrow (it normally sells out). There are a ton of AirBNB. If you have family with kids, older parents, etc., you probably want to stay in the downtown LP. Otherwise, there are cheaper options on Saranac Lake Road in LP. You can also go to Saranc Lake and the hotels are even cheaper. The hardest thing to figure out is the race day logistics (if you have others joining you in LP).

The Hampton Inn, Crown Plaza and Courtyard are available for the race weekend.

The challenging part is going to be the new bike section from Jay on Stickney Bridge Road. My HR jumped up into Zone 4 during the ride today.

No more Hazelton out and back!?!?! That was my one of my favorite sections of the course.

Great. Thanks for the info!

No more Hazelton out and back!?!?! That was my one of my favorite sections of the course.

Yeah… from what I’ve heard the replacement loop adds some elevation and in a punchy way.

i would add a few names who should be at the front : Marquardt, Rodriguez, Guilloux

Killed the long out and back. New replacement loop in Jay (new out, same return as the old 9N out and back); then a very short downhill on Bilhuber and a left onto Haselton for mileage.

On the plus side, means you’re not into the wind for 25 miles straight anymore…just 16 :wink:

According to the Life Guard’s sign, today’s water temperature is 77 degrees.

Hopefully, the evening rain and cooler temps will lower it below 76.1 degrees before race day.

Pulling this across from the ‘special one’ thread.
I’m hoping that Lionel can have a very controlled run at Lake Placid to secure the Kona spot and then get back into his solid training without risking injury or a hard “crash” (emotional or physical) after having to dig TOO deep.
. . . . I’d rather see him do a controlled 2:47 and look good doing it, than having to unleash a 2:42 in order to secure the victory or the Kona spot, etcThe catch to that is that there are 4 x MPRO IMWC Qs on offer. Besides Sanders the following do not have a KQ:
Skipper, Laundry, Szuch, Riele, Amberger, Foley, Aernouts
These have: Hanson, Marquardt, Currie, Leiferman, Weiss, Appleton
Start list:
https://proseries.ironman.com/…-ironman-lake-placidNone of those should be any competition to Sanders, or maybe 1 or 2 but that leaves plenty of slots for him, but of course he also wants to win.

Weather forecast looks pretty warm leading up to the race…

It’s in the mid 60s and pouring rain up there now.

I’m also bringing a large ice truck to dump in there.

It’s in the mid 60s and pouring rain up there now.

I’m also bringing a large ice truck to dump in there.

Men’s race should be fire if everyone shows up healthy.

According to the Life Guard’s sign, today’s water temperature is 77 degrees.

Hopefully, the evening rain and cooler temps will lower it below 76.1 degrees before race day.

When I was in Mirror Lake last month, I did a number of swims no wetsuit and it was already close to the 76 cut off. Having said that, the body of water is not big and it can lose heat reasonably fast if you all want a wetsuit swim.

That section of NY got somewhere around 4" of rain yesterday.

According to the river foundation it shed around 4 degrees (F, because freedom units) of temp in 24 hours.