I'm getting to that age

…where I am perfectly happy buying things in multiples and keeping them stocked away in the closet or a drawer because I know the assholes at whatever company makes those things are going to arbitrarily change them in a year, and I won’t be able to find the exact ones I like anymore, and I’ll have to try out new stuff to find something acceptable again.

Now off to Amazon to put in an order for about 2 dozen toothbrushes before those fuckheads at Oral B change the bristle design again…

I hear you. When I found out my favorite bath soap was going o be re-formulated, I bought a huge amount. That was ten years ago and I’ve got plenty left.

Costco is also a good bet for that plan. Sometimes you go back and the stuff has disappeared. I’ve got four extra pairs of the sweats I like in a drawer.

It took me about 25 years to go through the stash of climbing shoes I bought when my favorite shoes were being discontinued. Luckily, my shoe size held steady over those years.

Back when I still used to run a fair bit, I did that with running shoes. I’d buy 6 or 8 pairs at a time.

Now I do it with middle-aged/suburban supplies like dress socks with the preferred color/pattern/height/thickness.

Getting older sucks, but some of the core concepts stay the same, I suppose.

Underwear … I recently needed some, and found out that my preferred boxers were no longer of the same quality. A long painful search ensued before I found something acceptable. Now I’m tempted to buy about 20 pairs and squirrel them away in the closet.

I’m 62.

If I start doing any of the things listed above, I hope someone will just shoot me.

Amen.

My wife has ‘hoarding’ tendencies. I’ve never lived anywhere longer than 5-6 years, so the idea of accumulating shit terrifies me. I once left a 5 year shift with just two duffel bags, and could look back fondly on the time…

@slowguy Embrace change - I mean, FFS, how disorientating can a change of toothbrush be? However, if that’s the peak of one’s concerns, then you’re living a pretty good life… Have you thought about a mistress, or developing a drug problem, to introduce some real problems? :wink:

It took me about 25 years to go through the stash of climbing shoes I bought when my favorite shoes were being discontinued. Luckily, my shoe size held steady over those years.

I was size 8.5 from about 16 y/o to 46. Now I am
Consistently a 9.

Consistently a 9.

I had that happen in my 40s too - feet grew about 1/2 a size. Somehow it’s related to needing reading glasses.

Don’t go on a 9 month tour of a 3rd world country like the USA then. All the food tastes weird ( too sweet), many things are called different names, you can’t buy well fitted underwear and you can’t buy Vegemite!

Don’t go on a 9 month tour of a 3rd world country like the USA then. All the food tastes weird ( too sweet), many things are called different names, you can’t buy well fitted underwear and you can’t buy Vegemite!
You can definitely buy Vegemite

I think Costco just rearranges the store on a regular basis to make you walk around and look for what you went there for.

Consistently a 9.

I had that happen in my 40s too - feet grew about 1/2 a size. Somehow it’s related to needing reading glasses.

That is the nature of aging. Everything droops. Except your feet can’t droop any lower. So they spread out.

I think Costco just rearranges the store on a regular basis to make you walk around and look for what you went there for.

I’ve never been to Costco in my life, and I swear that I never will. But honestly, I’m not trying to be some kind of retail snob. Confession: I go to Walmart often! (It’s complicated.)

That’s genius what Costco did: Membership required!! Wow!! It must be so special!!

Doesn’t the 5th extra large jar of peanut butter (so you could save $8) get rather hard/stale by the time you get around to using it?

Don’t go on a 9 month tour of a 3rd world country like the USA then. All the food tastes weird ( too sweet), many things are called different names, **you can’t buy well fitted underwear **and you can’t buy Vegemite!

You might want to stop asking for a budgie smuggler.

Where???

a chain called World Market carries it.

They have it at Walmart and at our local grocery store Publix.

Where???

Ask any LEO; Standard issue for every police officer there. More effective at disabling Americans than pepper spray.

Amen.

My wife has ‘hoarding’ tendencies. I’ve never lived anywhere longer than 5-6 years, so the idea of accumulating shit terrifies me. I once left a 5 year shift with just two duffel bags, and could look back fondly on the time…

@slowguy Embrace change - I mean, FFS, how disorientating can a change of toothbrush be? However, if that’s the peak of one’s concerns, then you’re living a pretty good life… Have you thought about a mistress, or developing a drug problem, to introduce some real problems? :wink:

We’re not talking about hoarding. That implies holding onto items that no longer have a purpose. I’m talking about stocking up ahead of time so that when you’re ready to throw something away, you have a replacement. I spent the last 30 years of my life never living in one place for more than 3-4 years (if I was lucky) as the Navy moved me from job to ob every 18-24 months. I’ve had more than my fair share of “embracing change.”

And it’s not about “disorienting.” It’s about knowing what you like, and not being interested in having to try a bunch of options to find an acceptable replacement when the thing you like wears out.

Lastly, I didn’t say this was the “peak” of my concerns, or that it was a problem of any kind, nor was this a tale of woe. It was just an observation.