IM Canada Penticton and 70.3 Swim

IM tracker update this morning: Due to cool water temperatures the swim for both races has been shortened to 900 meters with a 55 minute cutoff and is wetsuit mandatory. Start is also delayed an hour.

IM tracker update this morning: Swim for both races has been shortened to 900 meters with a 55 minute cutoff and is wetsuit mandatory. Start is also delayed an hour.

Yep, should be interesting. 7:30 pro men 7:35 pro women. Half starts at 9 am now.

Maurice

IM tracker update this morning: Due to cool water temperatures the swim for both races has been shortened to 900 meters with a 55 minute cutoff and is wetsuit mandatory. Start is also delayed an hour.

Yeah, I am in penticton and just about to do the 70.3 and saw the notice. I swam on Friday for 30 min with NO WETSUIT. I know the lake is cold and it can turn over, but that seems extreme to the point that all races are shortened? I can’t imagine water is any colder than say Oceanside or St. George?

Looks like Lionel will have to face one of his big challenges, a cold swim.

Looks like Lionel will have to face one of his big challenges, a cold swim.

Talking to one of the guys onsite, the lake had an inversion (it is a north south lake and a north wind all day last two days). Or it was just about 10C much of the last day so if they took temp close to shore in shallow water, it may be colder there than further out. In any case it will be what it will be.

Its the cold water + air temperature 1 hour before race start.when we did IMAZ it was just doable as it was 12c outside when water was like 55F.

Today air temp was 10C 1hr before pro start with a 13.9C water temp. Reading the tribc chart if the air temperature was 9C the swim would be cancelled! See page12

http://www.tribc.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/PSO-Rules-APPENDIX-X-2023-booklet-Final-2.pdf

Same for everyone . I am quite disappointed of course as swimming is a strength but c’est la vie. Its as if this event is cursed.

Rhys are you in the full IM?

For me swim is a relative strength so dissappointed when swim gets short, but cold is cold and if this is safer, then I’ll roll with it (doing 70.3)

Yes full. Registered a week ago! Want to say thanks for 25 yrs of craziness and introduction to our forever home. Lots of friends on course. It will be a fun afternoon

Good luck out there

Swim now cancelled

Do the points in this race go towards next years series championship?
I think Lionel will be disappointed he didn’t get his full IM simulation in before Kona this year.

Swim now cancelled

That sucks…quite often I get a 8-10 min swim leg advantage on guys who smoke me on the run, but you roll with format!!! Maybe I will go do a 2km swim tonight afterwards haha !!!

Do the points in this race go towards next years series championship?
I think Lionel will be disappointed he didn’t get his full IM simulation in before Kona this year.

This is not an Ironman series race and there are no points to be had. It is a qualifier for Nice for the boys and Kona for the girls next year.

Is it a run bike run now?

Is it a run bike run now?

No it is a bike-run . TT bike, leaving in race number order every 5 seconds.

Ok thanks for all the info, boy am I out of the loop. :slight_smile:

Swim now cancelled

The race is cursed. LOL.

Actually, it’s mostly climate change, but I like to think that taking the race away from Graham Fraser doomed it…

The question now is Lionel gonna shut it down at 13.1 or 20 into the run. Not sure how much useful data he’ll get, conditions can’t be more different than Kona.

Swim now cancelledThe race is cursed. LOL.Correct, race started later with rolling start at bike out!
were they heading out at 5 second intervals, or . . .?Reported as “a time trial start for the bike, with 30 seconds between each rider and athletes going off in an order decided by a blind draw.”
https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/ironman-canada-2024-swim-cancelled

The lake went from 82 degrees to 57 degrees since Friday. I can appreciate it was big change. However, that’s the temp at Oceanside, and the swim doesn’t get canceled there. Shouldn’t have been a big deal. However Ironman is now erring on the side of caution, as they don’t want any more bad press, which is understandable. It turned out to be another beautiful day in Penticton. A significant portion of the bike course has also been repaved in the last 2 years. Again, too bad that this is the last edition. So much history here, and spectacular performances. The volunteers are awesome and it is such a beautiful and challenging course.

Swim now cancelledThe race is cursed. LOL.Correct, race started later with rolling start at bike out!
were they heading out at 5 second intervals, or . . .?Reported as “a time trial start for the bike, with 30 seconds between each rider and athletes going off in an order decided by a blind draw.”
https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/ironman-canada-2024-swim-cancelled

It was 2 athletes every 5 seconds. Blind draw was for pro men a women only. AG was in numerical order.