If your child was going to take up a trade

…what would you recommend and why?

Oldest (who effectively dropped out of school around 15) has been sitting around doing nothing but going to the gym. Initially he tried convincing us he was going to join the armed forces but that seems to have fallen by the wayside. Now apparently he wants to became a mechanic.

I think he’s reached this conclusion with very little thought other than ‘a friend is doing an apprenticeship and said…’ I’m worried about what opportunities await him in years to come. For example, will such work become more or less important with the significant changes in vehicles in recent times? I’m wondering whether there may be better opportunities with a different trade such as an electrician, a plumber, a carpenter etc.

Welcome any insight.

Oldest (who effectively dropped out of school around 15) has been sitting around doing nothing but going to the gym. Initially he tried convincing us he was going to join the armed forces but that seems to have fallen by the wayside. Now apparently he wants to became a mechanic.

I think he’s reached this conclusion with very little thought other than ‘a friend is doing an apprenticeship and said…’ I’m worried about what opportunities await him in years to come. For example, will such work become more or less important with the significant changes in vehicles in recent times? I’m wondering whether there may be better opportunities with a different trade such as an electrician, a plumber, a carpenter etc.

Welcome any insight.

No way mechanic-as you said the landscape is changing too much and to proprietary. Classic electrician if he doesn’t want to get dirty or plumber if he doesn’t mind getting dirty. Huge dollars to be made. And when he starts to complain about apprentice wages just remind him he is ‘getting paid’ to learn while the schmucks that go to uni ‘PAY’ to learn and will be paying off their debts for years to come.

Auto mech, is a changing field, but still in demand. The EV move will change the job, and the right to repair laws and heavy computer controls if they continue will make it a different job, probably one that will drive people to mechanics (dealer or otherwise) as it gets more complex. Becoming less of a physically demanding job, but flexability and small hands will become more important to reach into and around shit. Not sure why people think “propriety” is an issue, Dealerships higher lots of mechanics and pay them very well.

The thing with trades, most long term “successful” people become owners… Its hard to be 50 and still laying brick. Gotta think about what will automation bring. But also new tech.

Look at plumbers now, most seem to have moved off of sweating pipe, crimping is the new thing, cause its so much faster and time is money.

Would be interesting, and I’ll try here, to list all the “trades” more than confident I will miss many. Then think about automation, level of physics.

Auto Mech
Welder
Plumber
Electrician
Construction
Drywaller
Concrete
Brick paver
landscaping.
Trucker

Not sure its a trade, but they seem to be busy and no clue what the requirements are… Tow Truck driver… Cars will continue to break down and need a tow, not really something automation can do, could do for a long time, I think? Could go into your own business.

I don’t have any practical wisdom to offer from that side of the labor force but I think if I had it to do over I’d have done an apprenticeship in a trade with the goal of business ownership. Probably general contracting, woodworking, electrical, or plumbing (in that order). Medicine is stimulating for the brain but it’s a soul sucking grind most days in critical care. The ability to build a business and reputation, and invaluable skill set, and a launch pad for kids who want to follow in the family tradition is something I regret not having at this point in life. I’ve always loved working with my hands and having something to show for my efforts, and that’s few and far between in this line of work.

If you know anyone in the trades that would be willing to have him shadow for a week or so, take that opportunity. Local community colleges might be a good resource for finding those kinds of opportunities.

electrician or plumber. If he works hard and has decent business sense, he can do quite well. Seems like it’s harder to make decent money as a carpenter.

I’d also get his ass back in school. I think the future does not portend well for the uneducated. Not just for financial reasons.

In my area, there is a shortage of electricians and plumbers so it is relatively easy to get into once the initial training/education is done.

Personally I would learn welding and then specialize from that basic skill set. But I also really enjoy welding.

You said he considered armed forces/service. Is that still on the table, and might he revisit?

Finding a trade is a great path, and will provide independence and self-sufficiency. But based on things you have mentioned previously, it seems like he still has some maturing to do? I am very pro the structure and discipline the military provides. It will also work well with his commitment to physical fitness and going to the gym. He will learn all sorts of skills, and may find he then gravitates toward a trade as a natural progression as opposed to something to do now to get everyone off his back.

Personally I would learn welding and then specialize from that basic skill set. But I also really enjoy welding.

Welder, just seems like an awesome trade to learn. I mean you can become an artist and make piles of metal and people pay way to much money for it.

My own ignorance though, I don’t know where you start, or what business’s hire you. I mean auto shops need stuff welded, maybe bigger ones have dedicated welders, do the small shops hire it out when needed? But I mean, really turning metal to a liquid to join a few pieces of solid metal so cool. I mean if I had a kid looking at trades, I would be researching welders and what that looks like… I have a very nice woodshop, and do wood working, but I look at those metal guys in awe… Okay I can sweat pipes and soldier electronics, (which is turning metal to liquid to join metal pieces but its not the same)

We had a local guy make a steel gate that matched the steel railing our homes builder had installed. He charged me $800 installed, it probably cost him $50-$75 in materials and maybe 2hrs of work. So probably made $400ish on that small job.

I’d probably start with people like him, local metal/fabrication shops that need willing bodies to learn from the bottom. Then over time I’d go after my certs and try to get into more specialized welding that’s higher dollar.

Two come to mind,

Welder - nephew had been doing it a few years and loves it. I heard he was also getting some plumbing experience, to learn something new. Very sharp kid that didn’t feel the college route was for him and he wanted to use his hands.

Electrician. - I’m a controls engineer and work with them a lot. Good ones quickly become job leads and move up the ranks. If they can learn control wiring, there’s even more demand.

I’d skip welding. It’s not great for your longterm health.

Neither is a super high comp stressful corporate job.

Welding is perfectly fine, like most trades, with proper safety and ventilation/filter equipment.

HVAC technician, plumber, electrician. Average age for most construction trades is in the 50’s. Less people going into it, plenty of opportunity, good wages.

. Tow Truck driver… Cars will continue to break down and need a tow, not really something automation can do, could do for a long time, I think? Could go into your own business.

As a long as it’s being a tow truck driver specializing in “altruistic” towing and roadside assistance, not punitive towing like parking violations. Those kind of tow truck drivers get screamed at. Higher stress.

I do like the mechanic idea. Particularly with more EVs coming, there’ll be a need for increased skills in higher tech cars.

Welcome any insight.

I’ve worked in a vocational high school the past 15 years so I know 1000’s of kids who have pursued trades. We have 22-23 different trades at our school.

Some thoughts off the top of my head:
-My top 3 would probably be electrical, HVAC, plumbing
-Lately HVAC seems to be in demand due to a lot of people upgrading to more efficient systems/minisplits etc
-these 3 you can learn on the job, most of the training is working alongside someone licensed but also include some night school
-Trades are HARD. You have to work your ass off, but if you are willing to you can make a lot of money.
-Many of the trades instructors at our school have gone into teaching because their bodies were starting to break down or they were getting tired of working all the time or wanted to settle down with their family
-Welding can be great but it seems more boom and bust compared to my top 3. I work with the welders at my school. Up until a few years ago shops were calling us weekly begging for workers. The past 2 years kids have had to work a lot harder to get a job. Depending on where you are it can be hard to find a school for welding
-Automotive-It involves going to school, so if your son isn’t into school this might not be a good fit. I also do worry about the switch over to electric cars for mechanics. There is definitely a lot of uncertainty

Electrical…tons of new growth in the future I think. People adding solar, EV chargers, natural disasters wiping out entire areas. Less people are moving now and instead doing additions or home upgrades. All of these require an electrician.

Good luck and feel free to PM me!

I have a daughter - 24, pretty fit, loves music

Does stripper count?

When I was younger, I wanted to be a long-haul truck driver, taking 18-wheelers cross-country, here & there; adventures!!!

It was closest thing I could think of to being a cowboy

Any chance you have a vocational high school in your area? That would allow him to finish high school while also exploring some different trade options and getting a jump start on hands-on learning. Most of them have co-op programs as well where he could get a job while still in school. They are generally tough to get into though, so it may take some extra work on his part to get caught up.

I agree with others that MEP trades (plumbing, HVAC, electrical, sprinkler fitting, etc.) have some of the best earning and growth potential. And definitely speciality electrical trades like building automation and controls, fire alarm, security, etc. Although in the US I think elevator mechanics are probably the highest paid.

Just wanted to jump in quickly and say a huge thanks.

So many detailed responses in such a short period of time. Will read more when home.

What a great place!

Electrician. Super high need with new constraints with AI requirements, EV park etc.

Also culinary school, and music instrument maker.

Should the title be “child” or “son?”

I know women are being more welcomed into trades and trade schools, but still … unless Dad or a Brother is already there, is there any acceptance?

The Art School I went to, was basically a trade school “you have a certain, marketable talent. We can give you the basic skills to gain reasonable employment”

We actually called it “The Art VoTech” among ourselves