If you protest, you get suspended

Columbia University students, and now girls protesting a trans competitor

https://westvirginiawatch.com/2024/04/29/morrisey-files-brief-supporting-wv-students-who-protested-competing-with-transgender-athlete/#:~:text=West%20Virginia%20Attorney%20General%20Patrick,recent%20federal%20appeals%20court%20ruling

Columbia is private University, so I guess it can be understood on limiting “free” speech, but this is a public school. But also it seems all platforms where speech happens is private owned, take Facebook. Seems like time to create laws having a threshold before private domains can limit speech

Columbia University students, and now girls protesting a trans competitorhttps://westvirginiawatch.com/2024/04/29/morrisey-files-brief-supporting-wv-students-who-protested-competing-with-transgender-athlete/#:~:text=West%20Virginia%20Attorney%20General%20Patrick,recent%20federal%20appeals%20court%20ruling

Columbia is private University, so I guess it can be understood on limiting “free” speech, but this is a public school. But also it seems all platforms where speech happens is private owned, take Facebook. Seems like time to create laws having a threshold before private domains can limit speech

The concept of “free speech” has no context in private domains, does it?

I would need a little more context about the WV protest to understand your points around private vs public.

Seems reasonable that people can protest in a public way that isn’t disruptive. Disruptive protest is not allowed but sometimes tolerated. However, there is no guarantee of free speech at private events or using private media. I am open to some regulation of private media that have access to public resources or protections.

Columbia University students, and now girls protesting a trans competitorhttps://westvirginiawatch.com/…ansgender-athlete/#:~:text=West%20Virginia%20Attorney%20General%20Patrick,recent%20federal%20appeals%20court%20ruling

The protests against the trans athlete can happen in any number of places. The decision was made they don’t happen at a track meet. I can agee with that. This is not unusual that athletic events are deemed to be a “protest free” zone. Case in point the kneeling NFL players having been mostly beaten down. Tommie Smith and John Carlos were hammered for their act. The Russian gymnast who decided to wear a small Russian “Z” emblem to a podium presentation.

They were not suspended from school. They were barred from participating in the next track meet. Just pointing it out because it’s very different from being barred from campus.

Also, soybean oil isn’t bad for you. You have an amazing ability to pick the wrong side of just about any issue!

I can agree with it because having been the organizer of various scholastic sports events, I wouldn’t want that headache, wouldn’t want to put the athletes or my volunteer officials through that stress. Gonna do protest politics at my meet, I’ll kick you the F out of my meet.

It’s pretty funny (and ironic) that they banned the girls from competing against girls but not the boy.

I applaud them for standing up for what’s right. More girls need to do the same.

I think we should protest your inability to effectively post a link and you should be suspended until you figure it out.

It’s pretty funny (and ironic) that they banned the girls from competing against girls but not the boy.

I applaud them for standing up for what’s right. More girls need to do the same.

Nah, go after the adults who made the decision. Trying to humiliate a young girl with gender dysphoria at a track meet is just cruel and stupid. This is not an adult like Lia Thomas. I may disagree with the decision, as an event organizer, being forced to accept her as an athlete in the women’s field, but once she’s accepted, she’s on my watch. Try to humiliate her I’ll march you and anyone else out of my meet personally. Want to hold up signs on a public street outside my meet, I can’t do anything about that…

Nah, go after the adults who made the decision. Trying to humiliate a young girl with gender dysphoria at a track meet is just cruel and stupid. This is not an adult like Lia Thomas. I may disagree with the decision, as an event organizer, being forced to accept her as an athlete in the women’s field, but once she’s accepted, she’s on my watch. Try to humiliate her I’ll march you and anyone else out of my meet personally. Want to hold up signs on a public street outside my meet, I can’t do anything about that…

For some people harassing trans kids is the only time they care about women’s sport

I respect your opinion.

I’d still be proud of my daughter if she protested.

If this child has gender dysphoria you get them help and treatment. You don’t affirm it buy letting them compete against girls, IMO.

Also, soybean oil isn’t bad for you. You have an amazing ability to pick the wrong side of just about any issue!

Crisco is made out of soybean oil, used to fry many foods. So you are saying French fries are not bad for you. Thanks for trying to derail the thread

Crisco is made out of soybean oil, used to fry many foods. So you are saying French fries are not bad for you. Thanks for trying to derail the thread

Wow, that was just some astoundingly bad application of poor logic. Well done.

Wow, that was just some astoundingly bad application of poor logic. Well done.

I have an awesome rock that I found on the beach, and I’ve never been attacked by a tiger. slowguy, I’ll sell you my tiger-repelling rock for the low, low price of $100. Don’t miss out on this deal. The logic is impeccable.

For some people harassing trans kids is the only time they care about women’s sport

It’s ironic in shot put/discus. Those women are frequently - maybe usually - social outcasts. The “big girls.”

Cruelty is boundless. I remember on a long team bus trip, I got “stuck” sharing a row with our women’s 'put/discus person, who had to be over 250lb. There was already sniggering among the rest of the bus. But then apparently at some point we both fell asleep, and in such a way that her head was resting on my shoulder. Pictures were taken and posted in the dawn of the social media era. Didn’t affect me - I was a “cool guy” just being roasted. It was cruel to the woman.

But yeah, now we have guys “standing with” the women’s 'put/discus athletes. Heh.

From an AP article on the subject:

“Transgender women are women, period,” Jarvis said. “If you want to support women, you need to support all women. Becky and all of the other trans youth across our state deserve to fully participate in school activities and athletic events.”

What percentage of the US population actually believes that “transgender women are women, period”? I thought “period” was a bit ironic given the topic…

I can’t imagine it’s very many people. Even if you believe transwomen deserve to participate in women’s sport or use women’s bathrooms, do you believe that transwomen ARE women?

Woman is defined as an adult human female, and there’s no question that transwomen are not female.

It makes me wonder what would happen if you put some activist “transwomen are women” type of people through a lie detector test what the results might indicate…

They’re not being suspended for protesting, they’re being suspended from taking over a building and damaging property.

I think we should protest your inability to effectively post a link and you should be suspended until you figure it out.

The explanation around the link was fairly nonsensical as well. I didn’t have the energy to try to decipher the point of the post. Maybe we can combine this with the “SDG is a liar, and crappy troll” protest? Two birds, one stone.

The explanation around the link was fairly nonsensical as well. I didn’t have the energy to try to decipher the point of the post. Maybe we can combine this with the “SDG is a liar, and crappy troll” protest? Two birds, one stone.

fixed, was posting from my phone. much easier to do on the laptop

Columbia University students, and now girls protesting a trans competitor

https://westvirginiawatch.com/...als%20court%20ruling

America never fails to amaze me. The issue of a transgender person trying to compete in shot put made its way all the way to the federal appeals court and now the state AG is involved and it may go to the Supreme Court. Maybe this is why more lawyers per capita than anywhere else it seems

America never fails to amaze me. The issue of a transgender person trying to compete in shot put made its way all the way to the federal appeals court and now the state AG is involved and it may go to the Supreme Court. Maybe this is why more lawyers per capita than anywhere else it seems

Agree. Completely idiotic.

Agree. Completely idiotic.

Agree, the law passed by West Virginia was completely idiotic. The fact that it was so quickly blocked by the courts confirmed, yet again, that big government regulation is not the answer.

It is also idiotic that a M2F trans person is competing in the shot put.