I think my PowerTap P1 pedal (left) died. Help

My left PowerTap P1 pedal (purchased 2016, have been working great until now) won’t wake up. Tried new batteries… no green light. Any other tricks to try? Since PowerTap was bought my SRAM, I’m assuming that I’m going to get zero customer support. Worth reaching out to them? Suggestions on replacement pedals? My bike is older so I should probably stay with power in my pedals instead of investing in cranks or something else.

A few things to try:
if you haven’t already, buy the newer battery caps. (amazon.com) I believe there was some sort of problem with the v1.make sure you’re using lithium batteries.install the Powertap (probably now some sort of SRAM mobile app) mobile appif you can get the left pedal to wake up, use the mobile app to check the firmware version of the left and right pedals. Update firmware as needed.
If and when my P1 pedals fail completely, I’m going with the Favero Assioma Duo pedals.

Good luck!

Pretty high likelihood that you need a bearing service. After about 5,000 miles, you are on borrowed time.

My left PowerTap P1 pedal (purchased 2016, have been working great until now) won’t wake up. Tried new batteries… no green light. Any other tricks to try? Since PowerTap was bought my SRAM, I’m assuming that I’m going to get zero customer support. Worth reaching out to them? Suggestions on replacement pedals? My bike is older so I should probably stay with power in my pedals instead of investing in cranks or something else.

I contacted quarq and had great customer service when my right powertap P2 pedal died. We did some troubleshooting, I sent it in, and they confirmed it was trashed. They gave me a great deal on a quarq and I couldn’t be happier with the service they gave me.

I contacted quarq and had great customer service when my right powertap P2 pedal died. We did some troubleshooting, I sent it in, and they confirmed it was trashed. They gave me a great deal on a quarq and I couldn’t be happier with the service they gave me.

Unfortunately my experience with Quarq was exactly the opposite. They literally told me “sorry mate, we don’t deal with power tap, nothing we can do”. I was pretty disappointed with that attitude and won’t ever buy a Quarq product as a result (there’s a thread on here somewhere about it). Anyway, I ended up sending my pedals to the UK to cyclepowermeters.com who replaced my damaged pedal and paired them back up. Wasn’t cheap, and took a while due to postage but was cheaper, and more environmentally friendly than throwing them away and buying a replacement.

I also use cyclepowermeters.com in the UK for regular servicing of my P1’s. Always excellent service and these guys really know their stuff. Issues at the moment with spare part availability, but that is normal in these crazy times.

Unfortunately my experience with Quarq was exactly the opposite. They literally told me “sorry mate, we don’t deal with power tap, nothing we can do”. I was pretty disappointed with that attitude and won’t ever buy a Quarq product as a result (there’s a thread on here somewhere about it). Anyway, I ended up sending my pedals to the UK to cyclepowermeters.com who replaced my damaged pedal and paired them back up. Wasn’t cheap, and took a while due to postage but was cheaper, and more environmentally friendly than throwing them away and buying a replacement.

Oh wow. Do you think this might be because it sounds like you are outside the US?

I contacted them this past Summer and was impressed with how fast they emailed me and called me. They also turned around the testing and bearing repair quickly as well.

Just got mine back from SRAM. Support was awesome. Look perfect.

UPDATE: SRAM emailed be back pretty quickly, saying that I’d have to book an appointment to come in and have the pedal evaluated. I’m guessing it’s dead (based on my evaluation, I’m an engineer). Thinking that I’ll have to get different pedals since my bike is all Shimano and my crank length is 155.

When my PowerTap hub died last week SRAM customer support was fantastic. Sent it in and they did their magic. I’m in the US if it matters.

Yeah, could well be that as it sounds like I’m in the minority. I did offer to cover all shipping and cost of repair as I just wanted to get the pedals fixed and they just weren’t interested. It wasn’t long after they had bought out Powertap so maybe things have changed?

Repeat above… it’s probably the bearings. That is the symptom. They have a finite and relatively short life. I’ve worn out 2 sets of P1 bearings.

If you jump to a different pedal set, the Assioma are king. And they have owner-serviceable bearings.

Update: Correspondence with Sram on 2/23 said that I could get my pedal looked (at an in person shop) at in January and then determine a path forward. Two weeks of nothing, I sent them a request for an update. They changed their response to say that I had to ship my pedals to them for evaluation, but due to supply issues, and even if the pedal is fixable, they won’t have the parts in to fix it until July. And the CS Rep thought that was an acceptable response… Kinda pissed b/c I missed the year end sales on other brands of pedals (like Assioma). Due to the unique build of my TT bike (155 cranks, BB86 bottom bracket) pedals are the best option. But I’m going to play dumb and see if Sram will offer me a deal on a different power meter that I can use on my gravel bike.

You mentioned you’re an engineer so you might be comfortable with self servicing the pedals. I have not tried this but have seen this pop up in my YouTube recommends.

My p1 pedals are still working so far. Hopefully I don’t have to try this anytime soon… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLwe3vm4FM

I have same problem, was also told that parts won’t be available till July. But not convinced that waiting till then is a good idea. Looks very much like SRAM are phasing out this product and any servicing that goes with it.

In case you’re still having issues with your pedals or need servicing, I had great luck with SRAM servicing my pedals. I contacted them a couple weeks ago, they got back to me within 2 days. They sent me the shipping info, and once I mailed them off, they reached with a quote for necessary service within a couple days of receiving the pedals. Should be back here 2 weeks after they left. Not bad going from Ontario to South Dakota and back!
I had troubles fining a link to a form for submitting initially but just submitted a service request form here https://support.sram.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Dave was great to deal with!

You mentioned you’re an engineer so you might be comfortable with self servicing the pedals. I have not tried this but have seen this pop up in my YouTube recommends.

My p1 pedals are still working so far. Hopefully I don’t have to try this anytime soon… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLwe3vm4FM

My company - Cyclepowermeters - operates the European P1 service center. Please dont follow this video. I am not saying the because we want to make money. It is because:

We have had a number of people try to follow it and damage the allen key/wrench bolt which holds the axle into the pedal. Once that is damaged the axle can only be removed my machining the head off which is expensive.
If people have removed the axle then you don’t have the right tools to remove the bearings (they are custom tools not just a blind bearing puller). People removing them with the wrong tools has left part of the cage stuck in the pedal. While we have tools specifically for this they arent 100% effective and sometimes this means they are unserviceable.
If you manage to get the bearings and axle out safely you cant get the bearings. We tried when SRAM ran out during last year and even knowing the manufacturer and part codes we couldn’t buy them.
Finally, if you somehow manage to get some bearings to fit once you assemble it the pedal needs calibration. Removing the bearings is quite a violent process so we have a very expensive machine which checks the diagnostics, rezeros the stain gauges and then applies a know load throughout the pedal cycle to check the calibration in the X and Y planes.

So you might think you are saving yourself a few $€£ but you chances of screwing it up are high.

Bob