I need a reliable truck that doesn’t cost a fortune

Does such a unicorn exist?

I was looking at a 2016 ram w/ 3.0 eco diesel v6. Any good?

I won’t likely be putting on a ton of kms, it’s mostly going to be for short trips around town when my wife is using the other car, or towing the trailer to go camping.

Tundra

Not sure your price range or how big your trailer is but I got a Honda Ridgeline last year and it is an awesome vehicle.

Tundra

Yeah, but $$$

Even used are beyond what I want to spend. Trying to keep under $25k

Not sure your price range or how big your trailer is but I got a Honda Ridgeline last year and it is an awesome vehicle.

If I can find one, I do like them. Trailer isn’t huge, around 3000lbs. The old minivan could tow it, but was unhappy doing so.

If I can find one, I do like them. Trailer isn’t huge, around 3000lbs. The old minivan could tow it, but was unhappy doing so.

Tacoma can pull between 3500 lbs and 6500 lbs. depending on which engine it has.

Tacoma can pull between 3500 lbs and 6500 lbs. depending on which engine it has.

Same issue as the tundra. Those bastards don’t depreciate.

Does anyone know anything about the ram with the v6 diesel?

Tundra

Yeah, but $$$

Even used are beyond what I want to spend. Trying to keep under $25k

https://www.cargurus.ca/.../NATIONWIDE_SHIPPING

ETA sorry that one appears to be a delivery option. Maybe the below.

https://www.cargurus.ca/Cars/l-Used-Toyota-Tundra-Halifax-d313_L383216#listing=377202304/NONE/DEFAULT

I’d probably look for a Tundra or an F150 with the V8.

Same issue as the tundra. Those bastards don’t depreciate

Then look at the Honda.

Same issue as the tundra. Those bastards don’t depreciate.

Does anyone know anything about the ram with the v6 diesel?
Buddy of mine has one, absolutely loves it! Ride is great, gets great mileage, and he hasn’t had any issues whatsoever.

He’s had it around a year, I think? About 70k freedoms on it, if I remember correctly, so 115km, ish? He’s in the hills outside Park City, Utah, and has no problems at all.

Ifnyou can find onenin your price range, you should be Ok. Although, I cannot tell you how they are out over 100k miles, nevermind 2
150k or 200k miles. That may be more a function of the original owner, however.

Hopefully that’s at least somewhat helpful…

• Jeff

Search Dodge/Chrysler 3.0L Ecodiesel rear bearing failures and rod bearing failures before you think about buying one.

Constant short trips are also not great for a turbo charged diesel engine. You will likely over dilute your oil with fuel overtime. Just something to watch out for. It really isn’t great for any high compression turbo engine, but that is the direction all manufacturers have gone. Some have just figured out how to burn fuel more thoroughly when the engine is cold.

Just get the Hemi V-8 gas engine, I had a 2014 Ram 1500 like this… Super reliable, tows a house, and when you factor in the higher cost of diesel fuel, not that big of a savings there either…And the resale is really good as most want that bigger gas engine for the tow factor… And not like the old days where those gas engines were done between 80 to 100k miles either, get a good 150 to 200k if you take care of them…

That little diesel is not the greatest from what I hear, if you go that route go up to the 2500 and get a proper Cummings. Those are good for 300 to 500k miles, so older models are fine…

I won’t likely be putting on a ton of kms, it’s mostly going to be for short trips around town when my wife is using the other car, or towing the trailer to go camping.

Similar, went with 2019 Tundra (really wanted pre-pandemic production line) and had/has no outstanding recalls. Was a little more than you looking to spend, but totally worth it and I expect it to go 10 years easy. Still look for fun, and see good deals on 2017, 2018’s. The late second generations were all pretty good based on forums I have looked at.

Original Land Rover.

Oh wait, you said reliable. How much is a ‘fortune’? The Landy will need constant parts… 😜

can you buy a toyota hilux in canada? if so, do that. and then never need another truck again.

when i bought my hilux the toyota garage gave it a quick once over and said, “oh, it’s only got 125 000km. you’ll probably want it looked at once it hits 300k.”

If it’s not a deal breaker look for 2wd/RWD models- much cheaper in my area, especially used. Good tires get you a long ways in the winter.

can you buy a toyota hilux in canada? if so, do that. and then never need another truck again.

when i bought my hilux the toyota garage gave it a quick once over and said, “oh, it’s only got 125 000km. you’ll probably want it looked at once it hits 300k.”

This is the correct answer. Unfortunately I don’t think you can get those in North America.

This is the correct answer. Unfortunately I don’t think you can get those in North America.

It’s the Tacoma in North America

True, same basic truck but the Tacoma is much fancier trim and features and cost $7-10K more.

True, same basic truck but the Tacoma is much fancier trim and features and cost $7-10K more.

And again, they don’t depreciate. The only one I can see under $25k is an ‘07 with +300k on it.