I know nothing about baseball

But why is Atlanta great in regular season? But the Phillies beat them in the postseason. In other sports it feels like regular season predicts post season.

But why is Atlanta great in regular season? But the Phillies beat them in the postseason. In other sports it feels like regular season predicts post season.

I feel like you’re wrong

For starters, fewer teams make the playoffs in baseball. So the gap between the teams is less noticeable. Also in baseball playoffs you can go with a 2 or 3 man starting rotation. Every team in the playoffs should have at least two good starters.

All that is to say… it’s a crapshoot.

Also see Bruins, Boston and Maple Leafs, Toronto.

I feel like you’re wrong

How so?

1. Atlanta wasn’t good?
  2. In other sports regular season doesn’t predict?
  3. Something else?

It’s a 5 game series. I can’t think of another sport where a 5 season series wouldn’t be predictive. Basketball? Football or soccer, 5 game series the better team would be well favored.

For starters, fewer teams make the playoffs in baseball. So the gap between the teams is less noticeable. Also in baseball playoffs you can go with a 2 or 3 man starting rotation. Every team in the playoffs should have at least two good starters.

So regular season rewards depth more?

I think it’s partly because baseball is an everyday sport. You play pretty much everyday without big baps in the schedule, but then you get a bunch of time off as the post season starts. It ruins the momentum for a lot of good regular season teams.

I feel like you’re wrong

How so?

1. Atlanta wasn’t good?
  2. In other sports regular season doesn’t predict?
  3. Something else?

It’s a 5 game series. I can’t think of another sport where a 5 season series wouldn’t be predictive. Basketball? Football or soccer, 5 game series the better team would be well favored.

Regular season doesn’t really predict

This thread is a disappointment. I thought it might be a celebration thread about knowing nothing about baseball.

I had an epiphany at the last baseball game I attended.

I don’t have to watch that boring bullshit. I walked out! Ha! Fuck that!

So regular season rewards depth more?

I don’t know that it’s that. Baseball is very much a momentum sport. Hitters and pitchers really get into a groove, or into ruts. It’s easier to keep your rhythm playing everyday. If you take a big break, that rhythm goes away and it’s harder to get back. That puts teams that maybe look like they shouldn’t be evenly matched on more equal footing as the playoffs start. Add in the strategy around managing your starting pitchers, and teams can look much different in the post season.

This thread is a disappointment. I thought it might be a celebration thread about knowing nothing about baseball.

Don’t despair. Maybe we can still turn the thread around!

I too know and care SFA about baseball and was underwhelmed by the first and forever last game that I attended.

Like the day I inadvertently attended mass at the Church of San Salvatore al Monte in Florence, I’ll write it off as one of those bizarrely unfamiliar cultural travel experiences, where you walk away totally unenlightened and bewildered by its attraction and devotion that lures the regular attendees.

I too know and care SFA about baseball and was underwhelmed by the first and forever last game that I attended.

Like the day I inadvertently attended mass at the Church of San Salvatore al Monte in Florence, I’ll write it off as one of those bizarrely unfamiliar cultural travel experiences, where you walk away totally unenlightened and bewildered by its attraction and devotion that lures the regular attendees.

Basically the same thing!

It’s so great when you can walk away. You can say, “no thank you. I choose to NOT waste my precious time with that nonsense.”

There are so many great things that are interesting! I started a new job this week. The building where I work hires a falcon guy to fly his falcon around to menace pigeons and annoying small birds. I love that’s his job! My building is right next to CAA, the talent agency in LA. That falcon guy gets to fly his bird when celebrities pay their visits. He’s living the dream!! Ha ha!

Basically the same thing!

It’s so great when you can walk away. You can say, “no thank you. I choose to NOT waste my precious time with that nonsense.”

There are so many great things that are interesting! I started a new job this week. The building where I work hires a falcon guy to fly his falcon around to menace pigeons and annoying small birds. I love that’s his job! My building is right next to CAA, the talent agency in LA. That falcon guy gets to fly his bird when celebrities pay their visits. He’s living the dream!! Ha ha!

Falcons are decidedly cool.

I’ve had colleagues who train and fly birds, from magpies and parrots to owls and raptors as large as an Andean Condor. It’s a magic moment when you’re training a bird and the bird “get’s it”, and that moment of communication with another a species is established.

You just prompted me to check out the 24 hour live cam of a pair of Peregrines that nest each year atop one of Melbourne CBD’s high rises.

Sadly, they’ve had an unsuccessful breeding season, failing to incubate their eggs this year, resulting in the cameras being turned off earlier today. :frowning:

(5) Peregrine Falcons Melbourne | Facebook
367 Collins by Mirvac | Peregrine Falcons

Check them when breeding season recommences next August. Promises to be more exciting than baseball. :slight_smile:

In the 90’s it was a lot of choking and bad luck. Not sure about this year.

Another big piece not mentioned is pitching. You have a 5 man rotation in the regular season. Those last 2 spots have to be decent. In the post season you use 3. And if the top 2 are on for a series you are golden. With extra rest will never see the dregs of the bullpen in the postseason so you can get away with a thin bullpen that will kill you in the regular season. Most hitters feast on bad pitching and may not see any of that in the playoffs.

Even in the regular season teams are closer than say football or basketball. The A’s sucked on an historical level but won 30% of their games. A really good team wins 100 games, a .620 clip. When was the last time the worst NFL team won 5 games while the best won 10 or 11? All really good teams in the NBA win 75% plus of their games. No MLB team ever has.

Even the worst teams can take a series from the best. When it is another good team it is a crapshoot.

It was mentioned, you post stealing freak. I mentioned it.

Go to hell.

It was mentioned, you post stealing freak. I mentioned it.

Go to hell.

I did it better, you man-baby.

I’ve watched 3 innings of baseball so far this year, which prior to last year would be an all-time record. :wink:

The stadium in SD is very nice, I will say that

I like to say " I know nothing about baseball; I follow the Phillies"

It’s odd that the Phillies don’t usually get good until Eagles season starts; I think it is ENTIRELY due to the shared fan base

Another big piece not mentioned is pitching. You have a 5 man rotation in the regular season. Those last 2 spots have to be decent. In the post season you use 3. And if the top 2 are on for a series you are golden. With extra rest will never see the dregs of the bullpen in the postseason so you can get away with a thin bullpen that will kill you in the regular season. Most hitters feast on bad pitching and may not see any of that in the playoffs.

This!

This is why the Astros have been so tough in the playoffs over the last six years. Their three man playoff starting rotation leaves very little margin for error for opposing teams.

Big reason why the 90s Braves teams were such massive underachievers. They had three HoF starting pitchers in their prime and managed to only win one World Series. It’s frankly fucking embarrassing.

Look at the 2001 World Series. The Yankees were a better team than the Diamondbacks but that 1-2 punch of Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling was just brutal. Even then it took Mariano Rivera becoming human for one inning for the Diamondbacks to win.

I think you might not understand how awesome Philly is at everything. And I mean everything. Would you like me to tell you about it?

Also, we are awesome.

I am sure people have discussed this but:

1. atlanta won 64% of their games during the regular season, philly won 55%. I am sure you do any regression theory and it makes sense that philly would win the series 35-40% of the time.
  2. baseball is very different than other sports because it relies on pitchers who can only pitch 1 or 2 times in a series. Other than the royals 5 years or so ago (who used an awesome bullpen), the pitchers matter MUCH much more in the post season. This is because if you have 2 stud pitchers you have studs in 60%ish of the games. You can win a series even if you throw me out in the other 3 games. 2 Aces in the post season is better than 1 Ace + 3 all stars pitchers.