How short does a course have to be to not count as a PB?

Today at my local tri, my Garmin measured what was supposed to be a 70.3 swim as 1,549m. I left the water more than 4 mins faster than any other 70.3 distance swim I’ve ever done. Most everyone I talked to had it around that distance as well.

I don’t think I’ll count this as a swim PB, but since the bike was 2km long, I think it’s fair game to count towards an overall race PB (maybe even if it wasn’t long).

Anyway, it got me thinking - at what point would you count a short race towards a PB? Obviously Garmin isn’t necessarily the sole measure of truth - but at what point do you stop counting a race as a PB because it’s obviously so short?

For the swim, I’d say 1800m is probably my line. 87km on the bike and 20km on the run, though would depend on elevation.

Who are you trying to impress?? If you want a true PB, then add in the time the extra distance would take you to do, and be generous as it certainly would have been a slower pace overall if you had swam the advertised distance. Otherwise you just have a course time and place, which is what matters anyway…

2 Likes

There are no records in triathlon, is my thinking. I do think about fastest times and add time in my head when the course is short or the swim downstream, and subtract time from a long course, but don’t dwell on them. There is a big asterisk next to each and every one of my “PBs”.

2 Likes

Resolve never to tell anyone what your ‘PB’ is, unless they specifically ask. If you are forced to reveal it (whatever figure(s) you choose), caveat your answer (which only you really care about) by noting that distances are not accurate.

2 Likes

No such thing as a PB in triathlon. Every course is unique.

3 Likes

Yeah due to so many variables between courses, all times are relative to the course. Placing in your AG overtime is a better metric. That said, I do find it very disingenuous and a weird form of narcissism when people will do a race like Salem 70.3 and say they had a PB swim for example. Don’t be that guy or gal.

1 Like

Mostly myself, really. More as a useful metric of how I did relative to myself historically than anything else.

If it’s the fastest race I’ve done it’s a PB, regardless. Theres so many variables race-to-race; from swim conditions to elevation to weather. Just take your win. The only time I wouldn’t consider it would be if the swim got canceled or something like that.

Yes there are a lot of variables to consider when evaluating your performance on a given day. But distance should not be one of them, that’s just silly. So if you did half the ride and swim it is a PB for you? At least if you figure out the distance part of the equation first, then you can narrow things down to reasonable metrics for race to race comparisons…