How often do you upgrade your watch?

Debating on upgrading my current Garmin 735XT. Probably a 955, 965, 255, fenix series…to many different watches to look at honestly. Anyone notice a significant difference in moving beyond the old 735xt? I get its old tech, but current watch still works fine.

For me main uses are running workouts, biking, xc sking, hiking etc. Battery life is a non issue as I don’t need extended capabilities.

I went from…

FR101

FR305

FR735xt

FR955

Big upgrade each time. Form factor and features the first 2 times, and features the last 2 times (although the form factor has improved slightly)

The day the next generation is released.

Yes, there is a massive leap up from the 735XT. The 735 uses taller fonts, so it can be a little easier to read for some. But the screen size and clarity is so much better in the 965 and 955 that they are worth it. And all the tracking and analytics features of the new ones are way better. Oh, and the battery is way better.

For basic activity workout tracking, they are almost identical. The biggest things you may notice are quicker GPS lock and GPS accuracy in areas with signal interference. And I don’t think the 735XT connects to a bike power meter, but I cannot remember.

My watch progression:
305XT735XT945955965

You notice a big difference between the 955 and 965? 955 looks to be a bit cheaper being prior model. 735xt does connect to a powermeter but I don’t have one yet, so there is that.

You notice a big difference between the 955 and 965? 955 looks to be a bit cheaper being prior model. 735xt does connect to a powermeter but I don’t have one yet, so there is that.The 965’s major difference is its screen. It is much brighter & higher contrast (AMOLED), sharper (very high resolution), and a little bigger than the 955. If you have presbyopia, it’s a game changer.

Last: Garmin 920XT
Current: Garmin 920XT
Next: Garmin 920XT

Does 99% of what I need it to do, and if it doesn’t do it, I probably don’t need the feature.

I upgrade just as soon as the old watch stops working :wink:
Have a 735 which does everything I need.
Coros 3 is what I’d buy now if the Garmin gives up - better battery, HR tracking, and turn-by-turn navigation which is helpful for backcountry runs and hunting.

Debating on upgrading my current Garmin 735XT. Probably a 955, 965, 255, fenix series…to many different watches to look at honestly. Anyone notice a significant difference in moving beyond the old 735xt? I get its old tech, but current watch still works fine.

For me main uses are running workouts, biking, xc sking, hiking etc. Battery life is a non issue as I don’t need extended capabilities.

I upgrade stuff when it breaks or is no longer functioning.

I upgrade just as soon as the old watch stops working :wink:
Have a 735 which does everything I need.
Coros 3 is what I’d buy now if the Garmin gives up - better battery, HR tracking, and turn-by-turn navigation which is helpful for backcountry runs and hunting.
Same, except I’m using a Fenix 2.

Pretty much upgrade when the current watch starts giving me issues, a lot of time I’m almost to the end of the new watch’s cycle, which usually means I can get a good sale. Loved my 945, and only upgraded because I started having issues with accuracy in the pool (swimming is my most used profile). I love the screen and look of the 965 for everyday use, but personally I hate the AMOLED when swimming and when running on a sunny day, can’t see anything in the screen. If I could go back in time, I would just buy another 945 on sale (I don’t like the thickness of the 955vs945)
Watches:

If I could go back in time, I would just buy another 945 on sale (I don’t like the thickness of the 955vs945)You could get a 945 LTE now. It’s basically the same guts as the 965 in a tight little package.

Last: Garmin 920XT
Current: Garmin 920XT
Next: Garmin 920XT

Does 99% of what I need it to do, and if it doesn’t do it, I probably don’t need the feature.

100000%

My 920 died and looking at new watches i don’t understand why I’d need more than what the 910/920 offer

I upgrade stuff when it breaks or is no longer functioning.

Me too.

Another vote here for “when it stops working”. And even then, I rarely upgrade…pretty much just get a new one of whatever it was.

Whenever the previous one stops working. Currently on a 920XT & bought when it was released. No signs of it dying any time soon. Works like a champ.

Was using a 645 for years, that broke last month.
Just got a 2nd hand 935 for £70 and no complaints to be honest.
The only missing feature I would be interested in is HRV.
Like most things in life, having the latest model is more about status symbol.

I’m a Apple Fanboy so I have had every generation of the iWatch. I also have a Garmin Venu 2s plus that I use for wrist heart rate since I like that verses a strap. Yes at times I wear two watches. There was an app I tried for the iWatch that broadcasts heart rate. It worked but you had to set it up every time you wanted toi broadcast heart rate.

Apple finally put the shortcut keys on the new Magickey board but it’s not backwards compatible so I have to upgrade my perfectly fine 11” iPad Pro Gen 3 to the new OLED one. Can’t say I see a huge difference in the screen but it is much faster and the new keyboard it totally awesome!

I upgraded from a 920XT to a 955, but I still use my 920xt as my bike computer as I love the quick release setup. I actually have 2 920XTs that are 10 years old, and they are both still going strong.

• 1 on the ‘when it’s broken front’

Still using the Suunto Ambit 3S i bought in 2015. I look at reviews but find it hard to justify the expense when i do not see much point in buying a new one. Sure i would like to have a watch more reliable on OW distances and sleeping metrics could be fun but i feel that even a great watch needs some work in order to really use the metrics.

And any sport expense is weighted on ‘do i really need it’. Do i really need it NOW. Or do i just want it. Then most of the time i do not buy and feel better on not spending for selfish hobby rather for the family. Still using my Spec Allez from 2017. Sure i could buy something better but i still would not win races. It often makes me smile when i see most wheels in transitions areas way more expensive than my whole kit. The price of the sport does not make it very welcoming for people on a budget or not wishing to spend thousands for a hobby… And as much as i like DC Rainmaker review and the work he puts into it, i feel that he never tackles the emptiness of this crazy trend. Garmin is putting out so many watches that it gets hard to even understand their line up.

Sorry for the rant. Feel that i would buy a Coros if my watch breaks or even a Decathlon Coros one. 139 €, yeah I’m cheap. Or poor by the average slowtwitch metric ! Thinking about it, as a previous post, watches are also a status thing. Some guy at my club laughed about this watch as a ‘Lidl watch’…

About every 4-5 years for me, but usually I end up with the trailing edge of the latest model on sale

920XT → 735XT → 945 → Epix2

Screen and better OHR are the biggest jumps (OHR for the 945 and screen for the Epix2) - I’m sure there will continue to be new things (e.g., the EKG feature with the Epix2 Pro) but those are the biggest jumps I’ve seen. On watch mapping is nice for hiking. My 735xt is still kicking as a bike computer for my commuter bike (most for the Varia support).