How do you prove you do not have something?

Okay, yes I understand you can’t prove a negative.

Daughter told Financial aide department Dad does not work anymore. They asked her to prove I don’t have a job. She told them you can’t prove a negative. They said ask your parent. She got a kick out of my reply to her and said yeah dad I told them that.

So how do I prove I don’t have a job. I might be able to get (or have somewhere) a letter saying I don’t work for my past employer, but how the heck do I show them I don’t have a job?

I think what they care about is your income, not job? Income is pretty easy to prove, right?

If they really want to know about a job, maybe you can write a declaration and sign it under penalty of perjury.

You can also ask the school what evidence they accept as proof you don’t have a job.

Sit in a recliner with a beer and chips with nothing on but boxers and a wife beater. Be sure you have a clock in the background showing 2:00 in the afternoon. Take a picture and have your daughter send that to admissions.

Show them your tax return forms.

See that part that says Income?

I think what they care about is your income, not job? Income is pretty easy to prove, right?

If they really want to know about a job, maybe you can write a declaration and sign it under penalty of perjury.

You can also ask the school what evidence they accept as proof you don’t have a job.

Okay How do I prove I have had no income since Last July?

Easiest would be to get a note from your previous employer with termination date.

But to really prove it, you could share all of your recent bank statements. Show the income check no longer appearing and nothing replacing it.

Sit in a recliner with a beer and chips with nothing on but boxers and a wife beater. Be sure you have a clock in the background showing 2:00 in the afternoon. Take a picture and have your daughter send that to admissions.

I said I don’t have a job. That’s what WFH looked like.

Hmm, not sure about you, but I have not filed my 2024 taxes yet.

But yes if she were doing this next year, could not pull from IRA and show zero income for the year, easy enough. But she Grad. next summer so this wont matter, by the time I have a legal document showing I have no income.

Easiest would be to get a note from your previous employer with termination date.

But to really prove it, you could share all of your recent bank statements. Show the income check no longer appearing and nothing replacing it.

Yes I can show I left previous employer, doesn’t mean I didn’t start somewhere else.

How do they know that is all of my bank accounts? I could just have the paycheck going to another unreported bank account.

Point to your posting history on slowtwitch as proof you’re not “working” a formal job.

But yes if she were doing this next year, could not pull from IRA and show zero income for the year, easy enough. But she Grad. next summer so this wont matter, by the time I have a legal document showing I have no income. Did you file an extension? If so why and yes ask what proof they require. I had to file an extension due to trusty issues on a very complicated Estate. Still had to file and pay an estimated tax.

Bank statements, affidavit, retirement paperwork, ST posting history (apparently none of us work)

Point to your posting history on slowtwitch as proof you’re not “working” a formal job.

Well if you asked any of my former co-workers I think many would say it had been decades since I was “working”

I always said when you love your job its not work… that was just to cover my tracks :slight_smile:

I said I don’t have a job. That’s what WFH looked like.

Then you need a pic of you drinking beer at a dive bar watching Price is Right.

But yes if she were doing this next year, could not pull from IRA and show zero income for the year, easy enough. But she Grad. next summer so this wont matter, by the time I have a legal document showing I have no income. Did you file an extension? If so why and yes ask what proof they require. I had to file an extension due to trusty issues on a very complicated Estate. Still had to file and pay an estimated tax.

Why would I file an extension for taxes do April 15th 2025?

I filed my 2023 taxes and my income shows very large, cause I got my severance package. So there is a large Jump in income from 2022 to 2023, with a large increase in my Portfolio (all of which they have) its just they want something to show I am not working in 2024. She is setting up a meeting with them.

Actually want to comment on your sig line… I prefer ’ there are 2 types of people, those who can infer things. ’

Why don’t you ask them? They’ll have a specific requirement. Arguing with them that you can’t prove it won’t get you anywhere.

Perhaps their request to prove a negative should result in a refund for the education they attempted to provide your daughter.

Daughter told Financial aide department Dad does not work anymore. They asked her to prove I don’t have a job. She told them you can’t prove a negative. They said ask your parent. She got a kick out of my reply to her and said yeah dad I told them that.

So how do I prove I don’t have a job. I might be able to get (or have somewhere) a letter saying I don’t work for my past employer, but how the heck do I show them I don’t have a job?

Why waste time trying to figure it out when you could just contact the financial aid department and ask them what type of document or letter would suffice as proof? It might just be a letter from you stating that you left your last job on X date and are no longer employed. Or it might be something from your last employer. Or it might be something else entirely. But they should certainly be able to tell you.

Why waste time trying to figure it out when you could just contact the financial aid department and ask them what type of document or letter would suffice as proof? It might just be a letter from you stating that you left your last job on X date and are no longer employed. Or it might be something from your last employer. Or it might be something else entirely. But they should certainly be able to tell you.

He is retired - he needs something to do other than to yell at the kids to get off his lawn.