How do you make child care more affordable?

So sayeth Trump in a speech today.

Donald Trump was asked today if he would commit to prioritizing legislation to make childcare affordable, and if so, what specific legislation he would advance.

This is an unedited transcript of his response:

Well, I would do that, and we’re sitting down, and I was, somebody, we had Senator Marco Rubio, and my daughter Ivanka was so, uh, impactful on that issue. It’s a very important issue. But I think when you talk about the kind of numbers that I’m talking about, that, because, look, child care is child care is. Couldn’t, you know, there’s something, you have to have it – in this country you have to have it.

But when you talk about those numbers compared to the kind of numbers that I’m talking about by taxing foreign nations at levels that they’re not used to — but they’ll get used to it very quickly – and it’s not gonna stop them from doing business with us, but they’ll have a very substantial tax when they send product into our country. Uh, those numbers are so much bigger than any numbers that we’re talking about, including child care, that it’s going to take care.

We’re gonna have - I, I look forward to having no deficits within a fairly short period of time, coupled with, uh, the reductions that I told you about on waste and fraud and all of the other things that are going on in our country, because I have to stay with child care. I want to stay with child care, but those numbers are small relative to the kind of economic numbers that I’m talking about, including growth, but growth also headed up by what the plan is that I just, uh, that I just told you about.

We’re gonna be taking in trillions of dollars, and as much as child care, uh, is talked about as being expensive, it’s, relatively speaking, not very expensive compared to the kind of numbers we’ll be taking in. We’re going to make this into an incredible country that can afford to take care of its people, and then we’ll worry about the rest of the world. Let’s help other people, but we’re going to take care of our country first. This is about America first. It’s about Make America Great Again, we have to do it because right now we’re a failing nation, so we’ll take care of it. Thank you. Very good question. Thank you.

I mean, compared to a new NG B-21 Raider, child care is quite affordable.

Apparently Trump has a binder on childcare, I guess? Details in 2 weeks.

Trump’s discussion on childcare is no better than JD Vance’s discussion, when he suggested that families who need childcare should use the grandparents or an aunt.

Apparently relying on extended family to provide free childcare services is the MAGA plan.

They like forced labor— whether it’s unwanted childbirth or free childcare.

I like the tone of the opinion below:

2 Likes

JD’s comments reminded me of my wife’s ex husband’s argument in court: she has parents nearby who can help with child care, so his financial liability for child care should be reduced accordingly.

Again, not that they do but that they can.

It’s wild how some people’s brains work.

1 Like

Our provincial government ran on bringing $10/day childcare to the people.

That was like 7 or 8 years ago. We are still paying $1000/mth per kid. There have been, I believe, a handful of centers that are on the $10/day program, and getting in to one is about the same odds as winning the lottery.

That is relatively cheap from my understanding

How do you make child care more affordable - have less kids

3 Likes

And the edited version, as best as I can tell: Tariffs and taking care of waste fraud and abuse will bring in so much money that we will somehow distribute it back to all those parents so that they will then be able to afford even the most expensive day care or whatever JR has to replace a kid. Or how about just putting a chicken in every pot?

I object to your application of “best interpretation” to Trump word-salad.

At this time, there is no reason that any rational person can identify to support giving Trump a “best interpretation” reading.

For instance, there are no good results that can be traced back to one of his word-salads so that we might say, “aha! His nonsense only seemed nonsensical. In fact, in was a coherent plan”

The only coherent plan Trump had was for Jan 6. And I would bet that he didn’t make that plan because he didn’t employ word salad to effectuate that plan.

He was asked for specifics. He offered unrelated gibberish.

I thought that his speech on Nuclear was good. This is even better.

I was curious what he meant by Ivanka being so impactful.

Apparently she did try to advance paid family leave and child care support through Federal legislation. But it didn’t go anywhere, mostly because Republicans didn’t like raising taxes to pay for it.

Some of the specifics:

dependent care savings accounts that allow up to $2,000 in tax-free contributions annually for qualified child care and elderly care expenses, with a 50 percent federal match on the first $1,000 in contributions for low-income earners.

But given I don’t think any of is passed, not sure how “impactful” she was.

At the risk again of being objected to, Trump knows the leprechaun at the end of the magical rainbow bridge with the pot of gold. Affordable child care—done and dusted. Daughter becomes impactful.

This is how the New York Times described the incoherent nonsense:

I hear all the time about the media having a left wing bias, but rarely do you hear those people talking about the obvious right wing bias of the media where they sanewash trump’s rambling nonsense.

2 Likes

Well at least he has JD to balance out the vague nothingness with ironclad specifics on the issue, like putting 75 year oldMimi and Papaw back to work, and training more child care workers/not expecting health care workers to be properly trained as child care professionals…

He still keeps talking about tariffs like they are a tax on other countries.

Anyone who would vote for him is a fucking moron.

Nuh uh, I heard he’s only going to have the best and brightest tariffs.

At the same event Trump said “I don’t see people voting for him” clearly referring to Biden as his challenger.

Then he nearly said Biden name and finally caught himself and said Harris.

But uh, his brain is fine.

Seems like an even more insane idea when you remember JD’s grandma had loaded guns stashed all over the house. Clearly he must understand this isn’t a reasonable solution for many people.

“sanewash” is a great term.

is it right wing bias or just improperly applied notions of ‘balance’?

reporters are trained to boil down complex ideas/situations. They’re applying that to a would-be president, as if his utterances are some arcane or foreign concept. Mentioning word count/duration of the non-responsiveness to the question might help. Also give more space to the verbatim response, in all its ludicrous deflection.