How did you start the college process with your kids?

Mini is only in 8th grade but asking lots of questions as her sports team is pushing college.

Last night they had night practice at a college campus downtown and she came home saying - I do not want to go to college in a city.

So I’m curious how people started socializing the idea of big vs small, urban vs rural and finding a school that’s a good fit.

All of her softball friends want to go to OU or UCLA and all of her school friends want to go to Ivy League Schools. I’d like to point her in a more practical direction since it’s on her mind.

How did you distill the available colleges to where your kids applied to where they went?

Tell her to have really good grades and an outstanding CV and she can go to whatever type of school she wants…

Tell her to have really good grades and an outstanding CV and she can go to whatever type of school she wants…

The question is about helping her learn to find what she wants.

She’s got the best grades possible for all of middle school- so no reason to harp on that.

You could ask whatever high school she is going to for a list of the colleges selected by previous students. My old school kept track of how many kids went to which schools each year. Number one by a wide margin was the local community college. That was followed by nearby state schools.

But 8th grade is probably not a time to worry about being practical. Healthy motivation isn’t a bad thing. Her (and her friends) thoughts on college desires will shift a lot over the next few years.

She’s got the best grades possible for all of middle school- so no reason to harp on that.

What she wants now will be different in four years. Take her to sporting events at different schools. Drop by on vacations. Have her travel the country.

8th grade. She probably wants ice cream. You are way overthinking this.

8th grade. She probably wants ice cream. You are way overthinking this.

So are the sports coaches that push it really hard. Just trying to balance the messages she’s hearing. (Maybe I’m a little cautious due to my D1 sports experience.)

There’s pretty strong messaging that if you don’t want to play sports in college you might as well not bother trying your best now. Which I highly disagree with. (Coach told them if all you want to do is play in high-school you can quit now - you’re good enough).
Just want her to know they can be independent experiences.

I was in a gifted and talented program in 8th grade that made us research colleges and fake apply based on a profile the teacher created for us predicting our class rank and SAT scores. Then he played admissions dept and told us which schools we got into. I think the motivation was for us to know what we had to do if we wanted to go to X place, and to get people thinking about the financial part of it, because this was a part of the project.

A lot of this was the root of many of my current very, very serious psych issues. So, while it sounds like you are WAY more balanced in approach than that - you’re talking about this because SHE is interested - just know that pressure from outside forces (like a sports team) can have both positive and devastating impacts.

When it came to actual applications, my parents supported me in applying wherever I wanted to go and we visited the four out-of-state schools that I was seriously interested in (Stanford, CalTech, UCLA and Ithaca; I’m from Maine) on overnight trips. Stanford we saw when I was a junior and Ithaca early in my freshman year. I applied to two other out of state (Harvard and Purdue); Purdue I wasn’t interested in visiting and Harvard we’d visited when I was a freshman, I think, because we were in Boston and I wanted to see it. And that would have been easy enough to see once I’d been accepted, if that happened (it didn’t, and Stanford rejected me too, which is their loss). I applied to two in-state. One was 20 min down the road, one 60 min down the road, I’d been on both a lot growing up so only visited the latter because my mom had to be up there for work one day and asked if I wanted to tag along.

I was adamant that if I got into Stanford that’s where I was going, and because of the aforementioned project, that and Harvard were on my list from 8th grade on. I’m willful enough that my parents knew to just let things play out. They may or may not have known that a city school wouldn’t have been a good fit for me (I know now I’d never want to live in a city) but I think it was wise of them to not say anything. We knew if I graduated valedictorian, which was a goal of mine (in part because of 8th grade teacher), I’d have a full scholarship to the state university. So when (a) Stanford rejected me (b) Harvard rejected me and I was choosing between Purdue, Ithaca, UCLA, Colby, and U Maine, my parents laid out the financials and when we looked at that it was an easy choice.

If I were in your shoes I’d try to bridge from “it’s great to have the insight about yourself that you don’t want to go to college in a city. What do you think is unappealing? What is appealing about more rural schools?” and I think you can maybe have a really natural conversation. And please please please tell her she doesn’t have to play a sport in college if she doesn’t want to. I don’t think you would, you seem like a good and not overbearing parent.

By the way, Stanford’s PhD program also rejected me. I think I maybe finally fell out of love with them :wink: but there’s a lot I remember about that trip… that my dad took me to visit those CA schools had a big impact. I think there’s value in taking your kid’s aspirations seriously if you have the means to do that. Certainly not everyone has the money to visit schools that require plane rides to.

I really appreciate your insight!

I think she’s questioning it a little because she had 2 babysitters that 1 went to an athletic dream school and 1 went to an academic dream school and both transferred back close to home after two years recently. Add in Jordy Bahl too and she’s seeing a weird dynamic.

I want her to know that she doesn’t have to play sports in college and the best school in the US News rankings she can get into is not necessarily the best school for her. That there are tons of great universities where she can get a great education and hopefully have a great time- because that matters too.

the best school in the US News rankings she can get into is not necessarily the best school for her.

omg, schools totally know how to manipulate stuff here to get themselves up in those rankings. Those rankings are BS in many ways and are lots about people figuring out how to count things cleverly so certain numbers get inputted into the algorithm.

example of related manipulation: Colby College, awhile ago, made their application free to all Maine students. Sounds great, right? Allow kids who don’t have $50 (I’m sure it’s now more) for a reach school to apply to a reach school. How kind! What a good way to help kids with less privilege than the average Colby-goer (the average Colby student is from a wealthy family). Do you know what this allowed Colby to do? In the fraction accepted/applied, it increased the denominator, and made them look even more elite and selective. And in terms of actual low-income Maine kids who got in as a result of the change… probably not many.

As you know, she won’t look back her junior year and think “I’m so glad I’m at a school that was ranked 7.8th in 2027!”. I’d forgotten all about rankings, and the people here who have “think about rankings” as part of their job, until you mentioned it.

The thing to look at is the specific program for her major. Is THAT well known and well respected? What’s the job placement like? Program prestige matters a lot more than total university prestige. U Maine at Orono engineering, for instance, is very well respected. That matters more than the school’s general reputation (but U Maine > Canoe U, which is what we call Maine Maritime…) and when you’re looking at programs, you want to ask current students to dish on the professors and TAs who teach, because getting into the right section is going to matter a ton. I say that as someone who spends a lot of time supervising grad student teaching (and I can tell you my colleagues’ reputations for teaching, too).

probably not a lot of that is new info to you, except for maybe the US News ranking game schools play.

She’s smart to notice people transferring back. Boy did I watch a lot of my friends go away and then transfer back. And because I’m a b*tch sometimes I thought “ha, and when we were graduating you thought you were superior because you weren’t going to the state university. Welcome back.”

The best school is the one that is a combination of happiness, good education, and financial considerations. It is about fit. Same method I picked for the university I wanted to work at, now that I think about it, but replace education w career development.

Visit colleges! You can usually eat in their cafeteria and visit the bookstore and freely wander around. I buy merchandise at the bookstores for my kids from colleges they like. Last summer we made appointments with an admissions office, the honors college, and music department for my son. He loved it! I didn’t go to the meetings, and he said it was better that way. He said the kids with parents didn’t talk at all—their parents did all the talking. He said kids who went on their own were more engaged. When we drove away, he said he could see himself at the school.

Assuming little Miss Moonrocket isn’t looking at a full ride athletic scholarship you as the parents need to set financial parameters. Public vs Private vs Out of State Public.

GMAN Jr. applied to 10 schools. Only one public, three privates, and six out of state publics. Full sticker price for direct fixed costs for tuition and room/board was $20K for the public, $50-$81K for privates, and $42-$50K for Out of State publics.

GMAN Jr.’s #1 choice was the one public and thankfully he was accepted. Our bill was about $13,500 for Fall 23/Spring 24. The scholarships offered by the other schools were in the $10K to $18K range. Most OoS publics ended up in the low to mid $30s, as did the one “cheaper” private school. The two privates that cost over $80K weren’t a consideration.

Assuming four years of undergrad for GMAN Jr. that’s mid $50s for the public vs $125-$150K for OoS publics vs nearly $300K for high priced private schools.

Unless money is no object than you need to start at price and then worry about the other factors second, third, fourth, and so on. Higher Ed is so expensive these days that I’m not sure how it’s not the primary factor in initial school selection.

1. what type of school can you afford.
  2. is she a good/great/top standardized test taker.
  3. how good is she at sports.

She is old enough to have a discussion about around where she can play, get into, and afford.

At some point I wanted to play basketball at duke. I had the grades. But my parents couldn’t afford it and coach K sure has hell didn’t want me.

She is old enough to have a discussion about around where she can play, get into, and afford.

At some point I wanted to play basketball at duke. I had the grades. But my parents couldn’t afford it and coach K sure has hell didn’t want me.

I’ve mentioned this before but I was accepted to Cornell. My parents exact words were “Congratulations, son. That’s an amazing accomplishment and we are so proud. How are YOU going to pay for it?”

I have a degree from a public school. 😁

I’ve mentioned this before but I was accepted to Cornell. My parents exact words were “Congratulations, son. That’s an amazing accomplishment and we are so proud. How are YOU going to pay for it?”

I have a degree from a public school. 😁

Ha ha- I got a bunch of scholarships from my state school. My dad asked Do you really want to go to Cornell 26 times as much (cost differential)? Here’s how loans work. I went to my state school too.

She knows we’re in for any of our public state schools - but beyond that she needs to get crafty with scholarships etc.

I have no idea how good she will be at her sport in three years (when recruiting opens). She’s pretty good now- but I’m not fully convinced her current academic desires are highly compatible with scholarship level sports. And the schools with D3 programs are all incredibly expensive.

My older daughter is a sophomore in college and my younger daughter is a junior in high school so my experiences with the college process is recent and ongoing. As others have said visit some schools. Even it’s just an informal self-guided tour you can walk around campus, walk in and out of buildings, visit the bookstore, tour the surrounding area, etc. Visit schools of different sizes, urban and rural schools, etc. Also, a college campus on a weekday can look much much different than the same campus on a weekend. We’re fortunate that we are in New England, close to Boston, and there are something like 300 colleges/universities of all shapes and sizes in New England so you can get a pretty good taste of the various different options that exist out there. We did plenty of formal college tours but I thought the balance of doing our own informal tours with the formal tours gave a pretty look at some of the schools. The formal tours show you what the school wants you to see, so there is definitely some bias towards the “cooler” aspects of the campus and college life.

My older daughter thought she wanted to go to a small private school so we visited a handful. She quickly realized it wasn’t what she wanted for various reasons. Then she thought she wanted to be in a big city, and some visits changed that. She knew she didn’t want to be too far from home, and she ultimately landed in a state university, about 2 hours from home, near but not in a small city with a lot of good restaurants, shops, attractions, etc., and a really good vibe. She is thriving there, is super involved in a bunch of different activities and has made some great friends, while many of her friends from high school transferred to schools very close to home after their freshman year, or even after their first semester last year.

Daughter number 2 is in the process of starting to look at colleges. We’re doing the same process, just driving/walking around some campuses, setting up some formal tours, etc. She also wants to tour some schools farther from home, which my older daughter didn’t really want to do, so we’ll be setting up some tours for some of the schools she wants to see.

One thing that seems strange to me is starting the process for an 8th grader. My kids had absolutely no idea what they would want out of a college at that age, what they wanted to study, whether they wanted to be near or close to home, whether they’d try to play college sports, etc. It just seemed too far in the future to even enter their consciousness. I know some kids are more focused at an earlier age and already know what they want by then, but that definitely wasn’t the case with my kids. Maybe your daughter is one of those driven kids, or maybe the coaches are just convincing her she needs to be. If it’s the former that’s great. If it’s the latter, be really careful that they aren’t pushed so hard at this stage that they go off the rails. Let her be an 8th grader if that’s what she wants to be.

I’ll qualify all of the above with the caveat that everyone’s experience in this process is different, and the above advice may be worth exactly what you paid for it.

I have a freshman at an out of state, state school. She is extremely happy, and I don’t think we could be more pleased with how it all played out.

My best advice is honesty throughout the process. And since it is a process, the wants and desires are subject to change. What does your daughter want or not want? What type of student is she, and what environment does she thrive in? Big fish in small pond, small fish in an ocean with lots of opportunities. Intense and rigorous classmates to motivate her? Does she love sports enough to have it be priority #1 of her college experience? What can you and can’t you afford?

As a quick story. My kid has played Viola has one of her extra-curricular activities. She loves it and was self-motivated all throughout her school career. Was selected for regional orchestras. She did not go to college for music, but was very excited her school has a big program. She auditioned within first few weeks, and was accepted into the university orchestra. This automatically put her into the music Minor program. She dropped a fluff class and is now getting credit for her class/lesson. She is over the moon, will be traveling and playing some big venues! A few of her close friends landed at uber competitive schools, and did not make their orchestras.

My point is, balanced and well rounded experience suits my kid best. Name recognition was not most important to her, and she found a place where she could thrive based on her personality.

Sharing a couple of thoughts from looking back… (One of mine is through college, the other is a Jr)

Beware of youth sport coaches pushing college… Seems it’s more about coach pushing their youth sports program (i.e. “With your kid on our team/program it’ll put them on a path to play in college”. And it gets parents to start thinking college scholarship and therefore college costs are covered. And of course kiddo will land a pro contract so the ROI is great. Lots of families believed this in 8th grade.

Does your mini have a liking for various subjects? STEM or other? 8th grade is early, but not if you think about Jr year (HS). Lots of schools have programs for HS Juniors for their summer. That can give the kid a feel for the school too. And a bit of an inside track on the college application there. Worked for my kid. She knew it was where she wanted to go, and did the early-decision application and it all worked out well. No stress…

How did you distill the available colleges to where your kids applied to where they went?

My oldest is a college sophomore and my youngest is a high school junior.

We ask a lot of questions…like:

1. What do you want to study? (let them know it’s ok if they don’t know and ok if they change their mind)
  2. How far do you want to be from home?
  3. Do you want to run? (both my kids are runners, my oldest could have run at a slower D1 school, youngest isn’t at that level)
  4. If yes to #3, do you know what being on a D1 team entails from a time and energy commitment?
  5. What size school?
  6. What locations do you think you’d like or wouldn’t like?
  7. Is having good sports teams important? Here in the south football is a big deal.

etc, etc. It gets my kids thinking and talking and allows us to add input and reality to the conversation. We then went and visited the colleges on his list before he decided.

Hope this helps!

Mini is only in 8th grade but asking lots of questions as her sports team is pushing college.

Last night they had night practice at a college campus downtown and she came home saying - I do not want to go to college in a city.

So I’m curious how people started socializing the idea of big vs small, urban vs rural and finding a school that’s a good fit.

All of her softball friends want to go to OU or UCLA and all of her school friends want to go to Ivy League Schools. I’d like to point her in a more practical direction since it’s on her mind.

Both of my kids were heavily into sports in the 8th grade. Neither were involved their senior year. Perspectives change.

Both of my kids went to a community college for 2 years - that was my requirement for me paying for the education, and neither balked. Both then went to local state schools. One is a Director of Operations, not working in her studied field but doing very well, the other is a union electrician. He may actually use his business degree someday if he decides to go out on his own. Neither borrowed money to go to school - I was able to pay for everything, and did so willingly.

My son-in-law studied at a state school and paid off his student loans before they got married. His parents helped some, but where he went was expensive. He is doing very well and working in his field.

My daughter-in-law has a masters and came from a family that made no plans to pay for college, so she borrowed heavily. She is carrying that debt and just recently landed a job that is on par with her education. They have been paying that through the pause and will be done in a few years if all goes well, but it is making them delay buying a house.

4 people in my family that took different approaches to college and life after college. There isn’t really a one answer fits everyone type of answer. It comes down to risk and reward - how much risk, and the potential reward.

On the other hand, I came from a family that scoffed at me doing anything but staying on the farm. I joined the Navy to escape, got a BS at 37, and a masters at 45. My wife left college after 2 years and married me, and never went back. She has no regrets.