How can I find out the result of a court case in Stillwater today? Longhorn frat related

The 4 frat members who put the longhorn on another frat lawn were supposed to appear in court today, per a January news article. The news doesn’t have anything yet, and my campus word of mouth doesn’t have anything, either.

Googling “Payne County Court docket” isn’t getting me what I want. Presumably there’s some way to find out if they appeared and the outcome?

Thank you for the help.

Do you know any of the Party names?

Start here:

.https://www.oscn.net/dockets/Search.aspx

https://www.newson6.com/story/65aacc6033297f06561a88a2/4-osu-fraternity-members-arrested-charged-in-dead-longhorn-investigation

I found it I think! Thanks! The link above I’m saving for my own purposes

https:// www.newson6.com/story/65aacc6033297f06561a88a2/4-osu-fraternity-members-arrested-charged-in-dead-longhorn-investigation

your post got lost :frowning:

It did not. He was doing us the public service of linking the URL.

Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

oh :slight_smile: one day I’ll figure out how to do that. Today’s forum learning was posting pics on imagur

Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

This is correct.

the docket update is “continued April 8”
what might have happened yesterday that the outcome is “continue April 8”?

Can you post a link to the docket entry? Might be able to decipher.

Lots of games attorneys on both sides could play to extend it. The simplest thing is for one side (usually the defense) could ask for more time for research (aka “discovery”) to build a case.

TEXT
JUDGE VAUGHAN: THE DEFENDANT APPEARS IN PERSON AND WITH ATTORNEY CHARLES MEYERS. THE STATE APPEARS BY ATTORNEY ERICA GARUCCIO AND INTERN ALEX SLOAN. BY AGREEMENT OF THE PARTIES, THE COURT CONTINUES THIS MATTER UNTIL APRIL 8, 2024, AT 9:00 A.M. ON THE MISDEMEANOR DOCKET.

here it is. Thanks for any interpretive help!

I found records for all four of the defendants. They all share a lawyer and all had the same continuance. Tough to infer much. If they share a lawyer, then their defense can’t be blaming each other. It looks like they will sink or swim together. One possibility is that they are discussing a plea deal and need more time to work it out. A judge would grant a continuance for that. It is also possible that they are busy putting together a defense, such as working with witnesses, gathering facts, and just need more time to be ready for the next stage in the case. Without being in the courtroom — and maybe even then — I’d just be guessing whether the continuance signals a potential plea, an aggressive defense, or something else. The case is quite new and continuances are common.

I found records for all four of the defendants. They all share a lawyer and all had the same continuance. Tough to infer much. If they share a lawyer, then their defense can’t be blaming each other. It looks like they will sink or swim together. One possibility is that they are discussing a plea deal and need more time to work it out. A judge would grant a continuance for that. It is also possible that they are busy putting together a defense, such as working with witnesses, gathering facts, and just need more time to be ready for the next stage in the case. Without being in the courtroom — and maybe even then — I’d just be guessing whether the continuance signals a potential plea, an aggressive defense, or something else. The case is quite new and continuances are common.

Next time I will do the work to find the records for all four. I looked all four up, noticed they were the same, and only posted one.

I appreciate your info. Thank you very much.

Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

oh :slight_smile: one day I’ll figure out how to do that. Today’s forum learning was posting pics on imagur

I am going to guess you use apple products, cause in Windows, both of these are pretty straight forward thing, interestingly the icons are next to each other.

I am indeed on a mac

Given there is video (i’ll make the bad assumption its clear enough to identify the 4) and this being the statue Link to statue I can’t imagine what kind of defense they could put up? UPDATE-- found actual statue, and now have an legal question, in the penelty section 1224. it says anyone who violates the two proceeding sections… which to me implies you must violate both, not either or… Is this a loophole big enough to drive a pickup truck with longhorn through or just some legal english I don’t get?

Given this has a 2020 date stamp I assume its the most recent version.

I am indeed on a mac

ah well here is a screen grab, using windows and opera circled the 2 icons, cool part about opera, I dont even need to save the screen grab can upload as file straight from windows screen grab tool.

image_2024-03-12_203224190.png

I learned a few days ago this is not Texas longhorn. Its an Ankole-Watusi learned this from a FB post when cousin posted and my sister said something about being a longhorn. It didn’t look like one to me, so I googled for the record this is not the picture she posted her’s did go out more horizontally. But I could tell from how it left head and hair line it didn’t look right… Ankole-Watusi have a V shape at head and horns and the hair goes down the horn a bit from head.

https://livestockconservancy.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Watusi-800x600.jpg

And it looks like at least two of them are not unknown to the Oklahoma court system. Only driving related, but at least they have seen the inside of a courtroom.