Hoka, I give up. What shoe now?

Hi all. I’m a competitive 50-54 age grouper with dicey knees. Hoka shoes helped. When they released the Rocket X2, it was a game changer. It was easy on my knees and fast AF. I think Hoka has completely lost their way. A new model every week, but nothing geared to sprint/oly distances at a fast pace. The X2 is a GREAT shoe. Mine are near their end of life and I can’t find another pair in my size anywhere. How they can take a winner of a shoe like this and let it die on the vine is beyond me.

Where do y’all think I should look for something that’s as fast of the X2, 5mm drop, relatively plush, and is available? I’m not married to the 5mm, but it’s working for me. Vaporfly? Metaspeed?

I haven’t run in the X2 but had a pair of the original Rocket’s which, to be fair were underwhelming. I too am 50+ and I like plenty of soft cushioning. I ran my last iron distance marathon in the Asics Metaspeed Sky, which for me fit the bill perfectly, plush enough for the marathon distance, stable and yet light enough to race a standalone 10k in. I also have a pair of Vapor Fly’s which are undoubtedly fast but not stable enough for me. The reviews for the new Metaspeed Sky Paris are very good and I will probably look to get some later in the year.

I defected to the Adidas Pro 3. I tried Nike Vaporfly 3 but my knees rebelled. My old knees do very well with the Adidas.

I was reading similar comments about Hoka and the endless new models appearing - and one comment summed it up well…

“The Bondi and Clifton are being co-opted by non-runners and the market for those two shoes has been moving toward lifestyle/comfort.
You don’t want your brand to be caught between lifestyle and serious sport. You wind up making both camps unhappy.
So they’re introducing the Skyflow to be their midline running shoe and they can let the Clifton and Bondi continue to drift into comfort/fashion.”

Even as someone who follows trainer reviews and tech - I’m baffled by all the Hoka’s now as well.

But I digress, I’m still getting through my Hoka’s (Mach X is my daily runner and the Rocket x2 is my race shoe - but its destroying my second toe on every race…) and have a selection of Asic’s too

I have some Asic’s Metaspeed Sky’s II waiting for the next race, some MagicSpeed’s for tempo work, and at work I have some NoosaTri’s for lunch running - which fit like a glove, but are let down by the old tech foam - and at this point I won’t be buying any more Hoka’s

Agree on x2. I have one new pair in box. Let us know if you find a good replacement. Being a geezer who broke little toe year or so ago, the Rocket really helped with the situation compared to other shoes.

X2 is pretty good but not quiet there yet. Heel area is so damn flimsy, I have hard time putting them on. And no loops in the back and on the tongue?? Who designs shoes like this. If I were in the development team, I would say No right away on those. Some dumb people in that team for sure. No common sense.

Rocket X2 continues in to 2025

New color should launch soon.

So they’re introducing the Skyflow to be their midline running shoe and they can let the Clifton and Bondi continue to drift into comfort/fashion."

Even as someone who follows trainer reviews and tech - I’m baffled by all the Hoka’s now as well.

They moved the Rincon out of specialty running & into the big box stores.

We are seeing a lot of people coming in asking for Hokas still, a lot.

We’re not seeing a lot of repeat customers sticking with Hoka. The #1 complaint is they’re not getting enough miles out of the shoe.

IMO the Skyward X is the plushest shoe on the market. The weirdest thing on the Univ of Arizona campus the kids are wearing Hokas. There are a lot of cliftons, rincons, machs and Bondis in the gym. Some mornings it’s the number 1 brand of footwear on everyone waiting to get into the gym right before it opens.

Yeah, i keep seeing references to a new upper and colorways “soon”. What’s your source?

Hi all. I’m a competitive 50-54 age grouper with dicey knees. Hoka shoes helped. When they released the Rocket X2, it was a game changer. It was easy on my knees and fast AF. I think Hoka has completely lost their way. A new model every week, but nothing geared to sprint/oly distances at a fast pace. The X2 is a GREAT shoe. Mine are near their end of life and I can’t find another pair in my size anywhere. How they can take a winner of a shoe like this and let it die on the vine is beyond me.

Where do y’all think I should look for something that’s as fast of the X2, 5mm drop, relatively plush, and is available? I’m not married to the 5mm, but it’s working for me. Vaporfly? Metaspeed?

The X2 hasn’t been a big seller for many running shops that I’m aware of.

Some shoes to try:
Asics Noosa Tri -5mm drop should be on sale as the new model is going to drop soon. You could also try the Asics carbon plated racers
saucony Kinvara -4mm drop
Hoka Rincon - 4 or 5mm can’t remember

What size rocket 2 are you? PM me. I’ll check the stock later today or call The Running Shop in Tucson (520) 325-5097. opens 10am Tucson time.

I’d toss in the Saucony Speed 4 as well. One of the best shoes on the market for a lot of reasons…

My source would be that I own 3 run specialty stores, I’m one of the earliest Hoka dealers in the US and just looked at the 2025 line last week.

Thanks for that. Any idea what soon means? Also - what is your perspective on Hoka lineup and direction? Curious to know what an industry insider thinks about this?

I’m not in office today and can’t remember exact date for next color.

Rocket x2 should be dropped as Cielo is the focus going forward. I assumed fall ‘24 would be the end of it but it continues for spring ‘25.

Like most brands Hoka has too many models overall but when you focus them down most fit a consumer, whether that is comfort, performance or fashion.

While fashion trends change, comfort and performance isn’t going anywhere and that is what Hoka does best.

I found that Nordstrom Rack has a decent size run of the Carbon X3. https://www.nordstromrack.com/s/carbon-x-3-running-shoe-men/6142064?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FAll%20Results&color=450

I’m in the same boat as you. I love my Carbon X2 but they are getting long in the tooth. For those of you guys that know, is the X3 pretty much the same shoe and with the same sizing as the X2?

I found that Nordstrom Rack has a decent size run of the Carbon X3. https://www.nordstromrack.com/...esults&color=450

I’m in the same boat as you. I love my Carbon X2 but they are getting long in the tooth. For those of you guys that know, is the X3 pretty much the same shoe and with the same sizing as the X2?

Carbon X and Rocket X are totally different shoes. Carbon X is absolutely atrocious! Terrible foam, one piece top so bad fit for many…run from that shoe at any price!

Pretty sure there are no shoes geared towards sprint or olympic distances with plates. I guess you could go for this:
https://www.hoka.com/en/us/all-gender-footwear/cielo-road/196565845719.html?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0_WyBhDMARIsAL1Vz8vs8pz26XSTuEgR9Rrr3xhCI7G0gPg0vroaS4B_Mx6XOpGmOg0A0egaAt7zEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&utm_medium=ppc_brand&utm_source=google

And this is the only plated thing that would fit that you could still get your hands:
https://www.runningwarehouse.com/NB_SC_Pacer/descpage-NBPCM1D.html?from=gshop&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0_WyBhDMARIsAL1Vz8tDJMHSK1yyZge36s5za6fJgpL_OZJGtHF2PRFH1oDIVQ28PGuPWIwaAot8EALw_wcB

But New Balance has completely moved out of the low stack plated shoe bit as they seemed to not sell. And the Rebel which v1 was a great shoe seems to have a completely different purpose.

I found that Nordstrom Rack has a decent size run of the Carbon X3. https://www.nordstromrack.com/...esults&color=450

Carbon X and Rocket X are totally different shoes. Carbon X is absolutely atrocious! Terrible foam, one piece top so bad fit for many…run from that shoe at any price!

Wow you are right. I have the Rocket X not the Carbon X. Hoka makes too many different shoes.

RIGHT! ?!?!?!

And if they orphan the good ones, wtf are they thinking? I get that the brand is creeping heavily into the ‘active leisure’ market, but why bother putting out a super-shoe in the first place. What gets me about that shoe is that the sole is amazing (for me anyways - I pick up at least 10sec/km on them), but the upper is flimsy AF. Mate that sole with a clifton or bondi upper and you’ve got a freaking amazing tri shoe. Someone above mentioned that there are no super-shoes that are geared to 10K distances. I completely disagree. This shoe is a 10K weapon. Love it… at least until the upper gives out on me.

Wow you are right. I have the Rocket X not the Carbon X. Hoka makes too many different shoes.

We have a few Rocket X left as they really didn’t sell well at all. Saucony Speed and Pro far outdid them when both were tested. For me the Rocket heel seemed far too mushy; with the Speed I seldom feel the heel with the speed roll.