Hey Windy, didn't we discuss the fed rate cut?

didn’t i argue for and predict a half-point cut a month or two ago? and didn’t you say no way, quarter-point cut? just trying to remember. (if we had that righteous search we used to have on the old forum i could find it.)

Yes, Windy said no way. I said probably 25bp. You were right. I was less right. Windy was dead wrong.

i don’t care about being right. i only care about windy being wrong :wink:

4 Likes

I don’t recall but I probably would have said no cut and then 50 immediately after the election to avoid appearing to goose the economy ahead of the election (the most recent numbers justify 25bps so what they’re privvy to and we aren’t is probably ungood)

Trump is going to go on a tirade about this which should be treated in the same vein as the tirades about SCOTUS

Sooo…what’s that mean for us? Realistically. I might as well try to learn Mandarin when it comes to the chips falling after the Fed works their uh…magic.

The soft landing is about to hit

1 Like

you’re taking your whippin’ like a man and i salute you for that. as i recall i wrote that the fed had been behind a bit in increasing interest rates to stave off inflation and they don’t want to be caught behind again on the way down. hence my prediction of a half-point. powell disagreed today, an i’m quoting from The Hill:

"Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell pushed back Wednesday against assertions that the Fed’s larger interest rate cuts signaled the bank was behind the curve of the inflation trajectory, given downward revisions to recent employment data.

“We don’t think we’re behind,” he said. “We think this is timely, but I think you can take this as a sign of our commitment not to get behind.”

either way, 'sall good.

1 Like

Well it happens so frequently I’m surprised you care!

Whipping?

I bought bonds starting in July…figured worst case would be opportunity cost. Should have bought more!

As it is rare event it can be noted

1 Like

What do us ignorant sluts do? No offense, Dan.

Live your life. If you have excess money you can still lock in decent rates on treasuries. Also this in theory good for stocks

1 Like

you did, it was following my posting about the 818,000 revision down of jobs added. The post where you and KS bashed me for posting news without comment, which then spurred some really worthwhile comments

I think I’ll try again…

It means buy DJT.

Buying a house might get cheaper. Or not given more people will now be in the mood to buy one.

I am getting quite close to retirement so the opportunity to buy annuities at better rates was good. As Windy says bonds are good.

It would increase demand, yes, but also would increase supply. High mortgage rates have suppressed supply because people with low, fixed-rate mortgages are reluctant to sell, because they’d have a much higher rate on the new place. There is a lot of potential supply out there, once rates come down enough.

I’m in a 30 year close to 2% …I ain’t moving

I have no idea what psychology will be. Is there a lot of potential supply? Where are all the people who are now going to sell going to move to? Or are we just moving chairs around? The situation here in Canada is such that it looks like for a few decades supply won’t meet demand.

15 fixed, also close to 2%. Mortgage will be paid when I retire and next house will be someplace different and mortgage free.

The rate cut saves about $4/month on 10k. Doesn’t really move the needle for those using LOC’s to finance relatively small purchases.

Don’t know the stats, but my impression is that, yes, a lot of the housing market is just moving chairs around. Someone gets a raise and wants a bigger house. Someone else has the kids move out and now wants a smaller house.