Help with Shimano Di2 setup on Speedmax CF SLX

Does anyone have any good tips for an app to configure the Di2 Shifting in a Canyon Speedmax SLX. I didn’t realize this but is the first time I have a Shimano Di2 build and works quite different to the SRAM AXS that i have in my other bike. Shimano app does not work really well, while the SRAM app is great. It looks like the Etube app should work for these settings but i’m having a hard time connecting the bike to it, any tips?

Basically what i’m trying to do is switch the shifting configuration to do two things. Tap on aerobars or handle bar once for shifting up or down (and being able to configure what buttons shift up or down), and setup the bike so a double tap on both buttons at the same time shifts rings (this is the setup that i have in my SRAM build so i’m simply trying to replicate it).

Thanks a lot for the help :slight_smile:

12speed?

You can’t configure the SRAM shifting of both buttons on Shimano. 12 speed you can only have syncro shift*

Best resource I found was www.bettershifting.com

Specifically Set up synchronized shifting using Di2 E-Tube mobile apps (bettershifting.com) and
Build a 12-speed Di2 Time Trial / Triathlon bike (bettershifting.com)

*unless you add additional buttons, you can’t use just the 2 extension and 2 base bar to manually control the front mech.

There should be an update coming for 12-speed Di2 this week that’ll let you tweak the shifting behaviour to slightly improve this.

It still won’t allow for double tapping, but it does make front shifting a bit simpler…
(I think that’s about all I can say right now, sorry… :))

Yes… 12 Speed. This is the groupset: Ultegra Di2 R850, 12sp. Any idea on how to update firmware? Does the app (etube) work for you?

Yes… 12 Speed. This is the groupset: Ultegra Di2 R850, 12sp. Any idea on how to update firmware? Does the app (etube) work for you?

Download the E-TUBE app on your phone. Once you connect the bike (RD only), you’ll be able to:
view manualsupdate firmwareexecute micro-adjustmentssetup synchronised shiftingsetup multi shifting
As of today, you cannot configure the 12s DI2 to do double tap for changing the front ring. On your Speedmax you have 4 buttons (left front, left base, right front, right base) and each individually can be configured to do one of the 4 possibilities (shift up back, shift down back, shift up front, shift down front).

I’m currently riding 1x, but for a 2x I have it configured the way that I only control the RD. The FD shifts automatically following the synchronised shifting configuration.

There should be an update coming for 12-speed Di2 this week that’ll let you tweak the shifting behaviour to slightly improve this.

It still won’t allow for double tapping,** but it does make front shifting a bit simpler… **

So will it actually allow manual control of the FD on 12 speed? This would be nice!!! I hate syncro…

So maybe the dumbest question but how do i connect the bike. I have been opening the etube app and tapping the buttons but on handlebar and aero bars but no luck in connecting

For 12 speed I believe it is via the rear derailleur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ4EaPB9IfY

SBRcanuck is correct. The function button near the charge port is what is used to pair with the app.

The bettershifting links provided are a solid resource as well.

I’m fine with Synchro shifting handling the front derailleur on all of my bikes. Even on my road bike that has a dual action lever I rarely use it at all. It’s nice that I can unlike my Speedmax, but the head unit will beep and let you know when the next shift will be the front and that works for me.

One thing that caught me out is that there are 2 synchro shift modes on 12sp TT. Essentially both the same, but you can configure different shift points for the FD in each. So when I first started setting it up on the app I only changed one of the modes, but couldn’t understand why the bike was still changeing at the default change point. And then I thought I’d broken it all as the FD never changed, but it turned out that despite the app not showing it, I’d put the RD/System into manual mode, and of course had no front shifters.

It’s all explained on Bettershifting pages (why does shimano rely on 3rd parties to do this!!). But in summary, the button on rear mech cycles through 3 modes. Manual (that is no use on a typical TT setup), Syncro 1 and syncro 2. Both the latter two are full syncro but you can have the shift point differently between the modes on the app.

For the record I have found what works best on the road isn’t what works best for me on Zwift in erg mode. Hence having the 2 syncro profiles is actually handy, just need to remember to change that mode.

just need to remember to change that mode.

Just add it to the computer screen. It will show shift mode S1 or S2.

just need to remember to change that mode.

Just add it to the computer screen. It will show shift mode S1 or S2.

With my age/eyesight then that still doesn’t help - remembering which is indoor and outdoor as well as being able to read on my ickle 530 screen it’s easier to pedal and then change :wink: And this is why I run mechanical on all my other bikes, although a couple of years ago I did begrudgingly move one to 10speed from 9speed…

I updated the firmware for base bar 11 speed shifters to 12 speed yesterday using the e tube app. It worked perfectly. Every YouTube video I watched said you couldn’t do this. Maybe Shimano tweaked the app.

It still won’t allow for double tapping, but it does make front shifting a bit simpler…

I’m still not sure how I would adjust the four buttons I have to take advantage of this, but, it’s OFFICIAL!!!
https://gravel.shimano.com/...ano-front-shift-next

https://youtu.be/...Xe3UgzVRpq&t=147

I updated the firmware for base bar 11 speed shifters to 12 speed yesterday using the e tube app. It worked perfectly. Every YouTube video I watched said you couldn’t do this. Maybe Shimano tweaked the app.

The references you mention are for the 12 sp wireless brifters. Because the TT install requires the shifters be connected by wires, the e-tube app update works.

The workaround for those with wireless brifters and no PCE-02 is to temporarily connect the shifters from the FD e-tube wire to a brifter port.

I’m still not sure how I would adjust the four buttons I have to take advantage of this, but, it’s OFFICIAL!!!
https://gravel.shimano.com/...ano-front-shift-next

https://youtu.be/...Xe3UgzVRpq&t=147

Yeah… “front shift next” lets you shift the front derailleur using a single button.

I’m not sure how I would use that with 4 already installed TT/tri shifters… but personally I’d probably install one SW-R9150 to the bike and use that to shift the FD in case of emergency :slight_smile:

I think this does mean you can add one sprint button on extension and another on base bar then you get full control. Many may say you only need one on the extension as could reach for that from base bar if needed. Honestly though I don’t see that this changes anything for me in TT land.