Green bean casserole

Yay or nay?

I just made it tonight since it’s not part of our Thanksgiving spread- but mini heard all about it at softball practice- so really wanted to try it. I am still conflicted after just eating it.

It’s my favorite thing at Thanksgiving. If that’s all there was, I would be happy.

A definite yea if done right.

Growing up in the Midwest taught me that you can casserole anything.

This should go in the “Most dangerous item in your household” thread.

Hard nay.

I wouldn’t call it an abomination, but it’s close.

One of my brothers insists on it at holiday time. I love him, but he’s a weirdo on this point.

If done well it’s good. Most people don’t do it well

A definite yea if done right.

Growing up in the Midwest taught me that you can casserole anything.

I saw a pierogi casserole on a recipe search recently…

One of my brothers insists on it at holiday time. I love him, but he’s a weirdo on this point.

You’ve lost your way and become an elitist New Englander…next you’re going to want oyster dressing

You’ve lost your way and become an elitist New Englander…next you’re going to want oyster dressing

Nah, I’m still down for some good old fashioned Lutheran-church-potluck-style jello salad, and I perturb the in-laws by insisting on pickled herring as an appetizer. I know where I’m from.

There are also spirited discussions on the merits of Wisconsin vs Massachusetts cranberries.

This should go in the “Most dangerous item in your household” thread.

Hard nay.
agreed

Nah, I’m still down for some good old fashioned Lutheran-church-potluck-style jello salad, and I perturb the in-laws by insisting on pickled herring as an appetizer. I know where I’m from.

There are also spirited discussions on the merits of Wisconsin vs Massachusetts cranberries.

At least you don’t insist on cannibal tea sandwiches

https://media.tenor.com/RVOFx1kcs9YAAAAC/schmidt-gag.gif

My mother and grandmother’s have always made this forever.

I have had it precisely once that it was enjoyable; was not made by any of my relatives.

Hard pass… normally: my niece is making it this year, so I may try it just to see how she does.

• Jeff

It isn’t horrible, just pointless. My family always makes it, some green jello whip cream pineapple or some shit dessert, and tater tot casserole for Thanksgiving. All just stupid and pointless.

It isn’t horrible, just pointless. My family always makes it, some green jello whip cream pineapple or some shit dessert, and tater tot casserole for Thanksgiving. All just stupid and pointless.

Snob

I’m in. Gotta get the solid/liquid ratio right but it’s a generous range.

The woman who invented it was from Haddonfield

https://apnews.com/article/2ee627f3dab64cbaa019d5f16d0557d5

I went to HS with her daughter, then later, worked at Campbell’s myself

My Grandmom would make it the traditional (“garbage”) way, but - if asked to - I would NOT make it with canned soup, dried onions, or frozen beans though - there must be better ways, right?

Yay. Love it.

Used fresh green beans, but braised them in a little stock. Make a white sauce instead of the can of soup. Mushrooms are a choice. I may try and make some with a mix of different mushrooms because I love mushrooms.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/13/dining/thanksgiving-green-bean-casserole.html?unlocked_article_code=1.AU0.4ITz.-xr6VQ9EY9Sg&smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Snob

Working tastebuds and not old enough to only be able to eat mush.