Go with my free Conti 5000's?

Hey all! I purchased a set of used DT Swiss Dicut 1400’s and they came with barely used Conti 5000’s, tubeless, 25mm. They’re in really nice condition. I have lots of experience with Conti clinchers, but not with their tubeless tires. I ride 28mm Pirelli P-Zero TLR’s on my road bike and really like them. I prefer 28mm tires, but I wonder if tire width/make will make any real difference to me for my Tri purposes. I’ve only done a couple of sprints, plan on an Olympic in September, and may want to try a 70.3 within the year. I’m not a super competitor, but I want to be competitive. With that in mind, is it worth spending the cabbage for a wider, maybe “faster” tire, or will the Conti I have serve my purposes?

I would think that a 25mm tire would be faster.

I would think that a 25mm tire would be faster.

Thanks. You know, me too. But I’ve been reading about how riders are moving to 28’s (I did on my roadie), so I think that’s there’s got to be a good reason. I’d like to get as fast as I can, but if switching to 28’s will make minimal gains, then I’d be disinterested.

Do you have any opinions on various tubeless makes?

no, it’s not worth spending money on new tires.

unless you’re competitive, a new set of tires in an oly can only save you so much time, same with a sprint.

save the 100+ bucks and buy yourself a nice meal, or put it towards your next flight upgrade. after doing triathlon for 15 years, the one thing i can say for sure is that equipment only matters if you’re on the pointy end. everyone else should be spending money on coaching, a dietician, hell even monthly massages probably go further than the latest greatest aero helmet.

I’m a big fan of Continental Grand Prix 5000 clincher tires with latex tubes.

no, it’s not worth spending money on new tires.

unless you’re competitive, a new set of tires in an oly can only save you so much time, same with a sprint.

save the 100+ bucks and buy yourself a nice meal, or put it towards your next flight upgrade. after doing triathlon for 15 years, the one thing i can say for sure is that equipment only matters if you’re on the pointy end. everyone else should be spending money on coaching, a dietician, hell even monthly massages probably go further than the latest greatest aero helmet.

This…I’m not one of those guys who will do anything to save a watt. But I will say that if competing in road or TT races, a quality set of rim and tires, along with a good aero helmet, are two places to spend a few bucks. Thanks for your opinion!

Absolutely terrible tire. You will be 10mph slower and exhausted before you even start the run. But I will take them off your hands before they do any damage. You can ship them to…

Jen! LOL…they must be very good tires!

What are you riding, if I may ask? I’ve seen a number of charts that compare how fast various tires are. If I’m remembering correctly, the Conti tubeless are somewhere at the middle of the pack.

Run the 25mm on the front for aero and the Pirelli 28 on the rear for Crr. When the front wears out, you already have a spare.

Only middle of the pack when considering time trial tires. If you’re running the old pirellis, the new continental tires are much faster. If you’re running the new pirellis, the continental tires are only slightly faster.

DT Swiss Dicut 1400’s and they came with barely used Conti 5000’s, tubeless, 25mm.
DT Swiss ARC Dicut 1400’s are optimized for 25mm tires since they have pretty narrow internal width, so you will definitely be slower if you use wider tires.

DT Swiss Dicut 1400’s and they came with barely used Conti 5000’s, tubeless, 25mm.
DT Swiss ARC Dicut 1400’s are optimized for 25mm tires since they have pretty narrow internal width, so you will definitely be slower if you use wider tires.

thank you! I was unaware of that. Can wait to get the bike up and running.

Jen! LOL…they must be very good tires!

What are you riding, if I may ask? I’ve seen a number of charts that compare how fast various tires are. If I’m remembering correctly, the Conti tubeless are somewhere at the middle of the pack.Man, I do this shit on a shoestring budget. I buy 15 year old bikes and put on second hand wheels. I’ll run whatever I can find at a good price.

Definitely slower huh! How much slower and at what speed…?

Definitely slower huh! How much slower and at what speed…?
I just measured the external width on mine, and it’s only 26.7mm at the widest point, so it would be foolish to use 28mm tires that balloon out to 30mm on these rims. So yes, you will be much slower at typical tri speeds. I’m sure you have read about the 105 rule. It might be OK to use 28mm in the rear for comfort.

What’s ‘much slower’? And what ‘typical tri speeds’ are you talking, age groupers or pro? What about the trade off with reduced rolling resistance and vibration etc?

Are you saying simply putting a 28 on the front will be seconds slower or minutes? At what internal width does the aerodynamics become optimised and the 28 are faster?