Get in line, or merge at the merge

This seems to be a hotly debated topic, though from my observation seems to show that the large majority believe that you merge at the merge, with an angry minority who believe that you get over into the far lane as soon as possible and form a single line, and that anyone that doesn’t do that is an ass hole who deserves the highest level of scorn. Some take it so far as playing vigilante traffic cop and block both lanes.

To be clear, I’m not talking about waiting to the last minute to make a lane change. I’m talking about a lane that is about to end in stop and go traffic.

Im pretty sure it has been shown that zipper merging is faster than forming one long line.

This has been studied a lot. All the evidence says that merging as late as possible increases the overall traffic flow to the best possible flow number, considering the existing traffic restriction.

The people that get in the left lane early and then have attitude cause a merge to back up into addition intersections etc. use all of the space available (aka both lanes) to compact the problem into the smallest footprint possible.

If it’s not backing up - sure slide into the left lane early and keep traffic flowing. But a quarter mile of empty right lane at a merge is not helping the situation.

“who believe that you get over into the far lane as soon as possible and form a single line”

I’m with these people. Everyone should get over as soon as possible. That way the lane is clear for me.

This is going to vary a lot about the merge. Generally, a standard zipper merge furthest away is going to work best. At no point does forming a single line work best - however this is practical when there is inching traffic (due to a event). I get really pissed off when everyone is going to the exact same place and people are obviously trying to jump their turn.

This seems to be a hotly debated topic, though from my observation seems to show that the large majority believe that you merge at the merge, with an angry minority who believe that you get over into the far lane as soon as possible and form a single line, and that anyone that doesn’t do that is an ass hole who deserves the highest level of scorn. Some take it so far as playing vigilante traffic cop and block both lanes.

To be clear, I’m not talking about waiting to the last minute to make a lane change. I’m talking about a lane that is about to end in stop and go traffic.

Observationally, zip merge is best when neither lane is full, or so jammed and there is an alternate sign like some on ramps If very busy at construction it just causes the main lane to slow so less cars get through. In that case merge early and go as fast as is safe works best.

Im pretty sure it has been shown that zipper merging is faster than forming one long line.

That’s correct, but difficult to stomach when you are trying to get on to the Cross Island North bound from the LIE West bound, or onto the LIE East bound from the Cross Island South bound. I have dash cam footage of people driving in the median hash marked areas on the outside of the exit curves daring you to hit them as they force their way into line.

This has been studied a lot. All the evidence says that merging as late as possible increases the overall traffic flow to the best possible flow number, considering the existing traffic restriction.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?do=search_results&sb=post_time&search_forum=forum_4&search_type=AND&search_string=Zipper+merge&search=

It has been many months since the last thread.

Zipper merge makes sense and works best when you have two lanes merging into one.

I think what pisses people off is when you have one or two through lanes with one exit lane, and people force late zipper merges at the exit. It blocks the through lane, and pisses off the people who are in the exit lane and see drivers “cut in line.”

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...er+merge&search=

It has been many months since the last thread.

I’ve run out of shit to complain about, so I just recycle old gripes in hopes to capture a new audience.

Zipper merge makes sense and works best when you have two lanes merging into one.

I think what pisses people off is when you have one or two through lanes with one exit lane, and people force late zipper merges at the exit. It blocks the through lane, and pisses off the people who are in the exit lane and see drivers “cut in line.”

Well, I agree that that pisses a lot of people off, as it should.

But there is an aggressive minority that doesn’t like it if you merge at the merge instead of getting in line, regardless.

My 2 cents.

I believe everyone should late merge.

However, I usually early merge because that’s what everyone else is doing.

And I complain about it the whole time.

Zipper wins when that’s what is happening. Also, zipper means that even if you’re zippering as intended sometime down the merge lane…it also doesn’t mean you’re waiting till you’re on the last arrow and about to hit something or kicking up dirt. Split the merge into 5ths, ideal spot would be between 3/5ths and 4/5ths you move. Not 1/5, not 2/5, not 5/5ths. Not at half the speed of traffic, not at double the speed of traffic.

The zipper mergers are correct, and also assholes.

The early mergers are keeping their place in line and not speeding ahead of as many as they can safely fit behind them. The people who pass those early mergers piss off the early mergers (and most everyone else) because they’re more important than everyone else who is patiently waiting their turn and getting pushed further back in traffic for waiting their turn.

It really doesn’t matter which way is ultimately faster; it’s about not being a carcissist and putting yourself above everyone else just because you can.

To those who would argue the late mergers are correct, how do you feel about people who are already merged but who jump out of line, speed to the front, and merge late? Fair game?

First ff, I full acknowledge that I’m weird, so it doesn’t really matter what my opinion is.

Having said that, I suppose it depends on context.

Here’s an example I’m thinking of.

476 ends at I95. One lane goes left to get on 95N, one goes right to get on 95S. The middle one splits and goes both ways.
Typically the right lanes back up into stop and go traffic, while the left lanes do not. The right lanes also merge into 1 lane after a few hundred feet or so.

A lot of people will line up on the right side for a variety of reasons. Maybe they don’t know that the middle lane splits. Maybe they don’t want to risk being stopped in the middle lane with 70 mph traffic coming up behind them intending to go left at the split.

So what’s the right thing to do? Get in line in the right lane while backed up onto another highway?
Or get into the less crowded second lane and off of the other highway?

traffic2.png

That’s correct, but difficult to stomach when you are trying to get on to the Cross Island North bound from the LIE West bound, or onto the LIE East bound from the Cross Island South bound. I have dash cam footage of people driving in the median hash marked areas on the outside of the exit curves daring you to hit them as they force their way into line.

This is funny. Long Island has its own separate rules from everywhere else.

When exiting the W bound LIE to N on the Cross Island, there are two exit lanes. Stay in the left exit lane because it’s usually moving a little better while you are out in the traffic lanes. Once you get into the exit, most of the people in that lane are going S on the Cross Island but that lane continues taking you right up to the front of the merge. Once out on the Cross Island you’re screwed no matter what but I just stay in the left lane

Going the other way, people start to get in line for the exit all the way back to Northern Blvd. Again I stay in the left lane until I pass the second overhead sign for the LIE then I merge in, usual 5 to 10 cars back from the exit. Once you get up to the top of the ramp it gets tricky. It goes from 1 lane to 2 and most people go to the left, since it looks like the right is for the exit on to the Service Rd, but the right lane continues. You can go all the way up almost to Douglaston Pkwy and merge there ahead of everyone who’s fighting it out behind you. But again, once you’re on the LIE, you’re screwed no matter what you do.

This is funny. Long Island has its own separate rules from everywhere else.

That intersection isn’t on Long Island. Just ask the people in Queens. :slight_smile:

The zipper mergers are correct, and also assholes.

The early mergers are keeping their place in line and not speeding ahead of as many as they can safely fit behind them. The people who pass those early mergers piss off the early mergers (and most everyone else) because they’re more important than everyone else who is patiently waiting their turn and getting pushed further back in traffic for waiting their turn.

It really doesn’t matter which way is ultimately faster; it’s about not being a carcissist and putting yourself above everyone else just because you can.

To those who would argue the late mergers are correct, how do you feel about people who are already merged but who jump out of line, speed to the front, and merge late? Fair game?

I am going to use carcissist.

I feel bad for those people, for not following best practices or having the awareness/bring able to process the collective benefits and overall efficiency of the system, in similar fashion that I felt bad for less smart classmates growing up. Bless their hearts. Like anything, I can explain it to them, but the understanding part is on their end. Takes some effort. Some more than others. Ignorance is often a choice.

I think the increase in DOT signage, more clearly stating and encouraging drivers to use the entire length to zipper merge helps, but any change is dependent on motivation and willingness for the change to adopted.
No need to call me an AH, already established in other threads.

First ff, I full acknowledge that I’m weird, so it doesn’t really matter what my opinion is.

Having said that, I suppose it depends on context.

Here’s an example I’m thinking of.

476 ends at I95. One lane goes left to get on 95N, one goes right to get on 95S. The middle one splits and goes both ways.
Typically the right lanes back up into stop and go traffic, while the left lanes do not. The right lanes also merge into 1 lane after a few hundred feet or so.

A lot of people will line up on the right side for a variety of reasons. Maybe they don’t know that the middle lane splits. Maybe they don’t want to risk being stopped in the middle lane with 70 mph traffic coming up behind them intending to go left at the split.

So what’s the right thing to do? Get in line in the right lane while backed up onto another highway?
Or get into the less crowded second lane and off of the other highway?

If I understand your diagram, traffic is flowing from the bottom to the top. That’s not a merge situation (yet). As you say, the merge happens later (off your diagram).

Until the split, it’s totally ok to use the middle lane as far as possible and then go right (or left). Hold the line until the lane ends and then zipper merge. I’ll bet the local frequent travelers know to use the middle lanes up until the split.

Waze will even tell you which lanes are ok to be in for upcoming lefts/rights. There is no excuse for not knowing.