Gas Appliances and Heat

The VP got roasted for taking a Thanksgiving picture with a gas stove in the background (Biden wants to follow NYS’s lead of banning all new installs, but you can keep using it if you already have it).

We have a gas stove, water heater, and furnace. The latter 2 are in a room off the family room. The kitchen is off the living room.

We have 3 LG Tower HEPA purifiers running in the house. One in the family room, living room, and master bedroom (the only bedroom in use currently). All three sit around 5 ug/m3 (micrograms per cubic meter) when the house is closed up. They run a little higher with the window open in the spring and fall, but still less than 12 mg/m3.

Yesterday one of the visiting kids noticed that the one in the living room was in the orange, which is unhealth (over 35 mg/m3). I had never noticed since it is out of the way, but on review of the data over the last 12 months it spikes every weekday morning when I make breakfast, and on most evening when one of us cooks dinner. So, as an experiment, this morning I turned on the stove and then had cereal. 30 minutes later I turned the stove off and looked at the purifier. It was in the moderate range (33 mg/m3). The one in the bedroom never moves, and the one in the family room varies a little.

All 3 gas appliances are reasonably new and modern. Does anyone else have any data that can compare. I thought the “gas is unhealthy” thing was BS, but now I’m beginning to wonder. I told my wife to start running the range hood (which exhausts outside) while cooking.

Why would anyone try to ban something that is nearly universally loved if it was BS?

Why would anyone try to ban something that is nearly universally loved if it was BS?

Because they hate America.

I don’t have any studies handy, but there have been a number of scientific articles about gas appliances. They do tend to focus on stoves. I guess because water heaters, dryers and furnaces tend to be isolated and well ventilated.

We try to run the hood whenever we use our gas stove and the windows are closed, but we don’t always remember

Just get the best option, and go Induction for your cooktop. You wont regret it.

2 gas water heaters, and gas dryer. But no gas in the kitchen (till after the meal)

The VP got roasted for taking a Thanksgiving picture with a gas stove in the background (Biden wants to follow NYS’s lead of banning all new installs, but you can keep using it if you already have it).

We have a gas stove, water heater, and furnace. The latter 2 are in a room off the family room. The kitchen is off the living room.

We have 3 LG Tower HEPA purifiers running in the house. One in the family room, living room, and master bedroom (the only bedroom in use currently). All three sit around 5 ug/m3 (micrograms per cubic meter) when the house is closed up. They run a little higher with the window open in the spring and fall, but still less than 12 mg/m3.

Yesterday one of the visiting kids noticed that the one in the living room was in the orange, which is unhealth (over 35 mg/m3). I had never noticed since it is out of the way, but on review of the data over the last 12 months it spikes every weekday morning when I make breakfast, and on most evening when one of us cooks dinner. So, as an experiment, this morning I turned on the stove and then had cereal. 30 minutes later I turned the stove off and looked at the purifier. It was in the moderate range (33 mg/m3). The one in the bedroom never moves, and the one in the family room varies a little.

All 3 gas appliances are reasonably new and modern. Does anyone else have any data that can compare. I thought the “gas is unhealthy” thing was BS, but now I’m beginning to wonder. I told my wife to start running the range hood (which exhausts outside) while cooking.

I have an Alen air purifier that changes colors and it always goes to ‘bad’ when I’m cooking on the gas cooktop. I’ve started using the vent every time I use the cooktop, not just when pan frying something.

BTW, Biden has said he has no intention of banning gas stoves. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2023/01/26/fact-check-false-claim-biden-administration-wants-ban-gas-stoves/11092963002/

nm

Besides your hepa filters what would you use to test your house? We have a gas range in the kitchen and a cast iron gas stove in the living room. I’d like to test the air. n I also have as gas water heater and clothes dryer in the basement.

It’s cooking particles, especially oils. Ours does the same

And yet his little experiment and many of the scientific ones just turn the stove on without any cooking. In the experiments they also compare emissions to electric stoves by cooking the same meal.

And yet his little experiment and many of the scientific ones just turn the stove on without any cooking. In the experiments they also compare emissions to electric stoves by cooking the same meal.

Yeah Ruby1 clearly didn’t read the thread.

I’m not a fan of gas ranges, it’s great quick heating for cooking but I don’t like cleaning the range.
My oven / range is electric and when I cook just about all the time I have the hood venting outside.
I do have gas for the water heater, dryer, glass direct vent fireplace and furnace which are all direct vent.
You know Senior Chief you could set up a central catalytic oxidation system which is a little cost prohibiting or just run the hood when cooking.

the first home I looked and when house shopping. It was a good price cause you can smell a severe gas leak…it was occuppied, with elderly folk renting, and you knew they were mentally challenged due to this leak.

I guess because water heaters, dryers and furnaces tend to be isolated and well ventilated.

It is wild that all this effort is done to isolate the exhaust from the gas furnace from the air that is used to heat the house, but then for the stove it is just “maybe put a hood that will sometimes be running when the cooktop is used.”

We have a gas stove, and a 1000cfm hood fan. If we are cooking, we have the hood fan on. When the hood fan is on max, which is almost never, it’s so strong it might suck up half the food on the stove, let alone any combustion byproducts.

Gas hot water but that’s direct vented outside, no issues there. Our heat is electric heat pump. We have a gas fireplace but haven’t even turned it on as the heat pump keeps us toasty.

Is the gas stove the healthiest thing? Probably not. But boy do I love cooking with it!