Funky Cold Medina

Lets lighten the mood a little.

We have been contracted to play a New Year’s Eve party and on the requested song list is Funky Cold Medina by Tone Loc. There will be some challenges in doing that song and we are discussing it, but what surprised me was some of the band members had never heard it. When I brought it up at work I got a lot of the same response. The song was released in 1989 and a big hit (as far as I remember that summer).

Kids (with an old man head shake).

That song came out when I was in college and I remember it well. I’m have zero musical talent and I imagine that can be a tough song to do well. It would fun to watch though. Good luck, I hope you pull it off.

That song has a Bill Cosby vibe to it.

An all-time classic.

We have been contracted to play a New Year’s Eve party and on the requested song list is Funky Cold Medina by Tone Loc. There will be some challenges in doing that song and we are discussing it, but what surprised me was some of the band members had never heard it. When I brought it up at work I got a lot of the same response. The song was released in 1989 and a big hit (as far as I remember that summer).

I was just out of college and everybody at the time was familiar with it. I suspect it is largely age dependent. Wild Thing was his other big hit but he pretty much vanished after that.

Thats song has an awesome vibe, I remember it well!!

You gotta do the fade out

I got every dog in my neighborhood breaking down my door. I got Spuds McKenzie, Alex from Strohs…

Career inspiration? /pink

I dig the song and remember it well, but it will not play well in today’s climate.

I went up to this girl, she said, “Hi, my name is Sheena”
I thought she’d be good to go with a little Funky Cold Medina
She said, “I’d like a drink,” I said, “Ehm, I’ll go get it”
And then a couple sips she cold licked her lips, and I knew that she was with it
So I took her to my crib, and everything went well as planned
But when she got undressed, it was a big old mess, Sheena was a man
So I threw him out, I don’t fool around with no Oscar Mayer wiener
You must be sure that your girl is pure for the Funky Cold Medina

Reminds me of this sign at a bar in Gainesville we used to go to.

https://i.imgur.com/9xLfQne.jpeg

It is easy, just play Wild Thing and change the words around a bit. Funny, I heard it on the radio a week or so ago. Hadn’t heard that song in years.

Will get to see them this summer at Pendleton Whiskey Fest in obviously Pendleton Or. Along with Vanilla Ice and Sugar Hill Gang. Obviously not head liners but part of the early shows for the concert.
Gonna bring back some college memories with that group.

I dig the song and remember it well, but it will not play well in today’s climate.

And then a couple sips she cold licked her lips, and I knew that she was with it

The date rape vibes are much more disturbing than the trans vibes.

I was just out of college and everybody at the time was familiar with it. I suspect it is largely age dependent. Wild Thing was his other big hit but he pretty much vanished after that.

He’s in concert in a couple months at a relatively small venue nearby. We were talking about having a social outing for work at the venue and were looking through the list of upcoming artists. Most were interested in seeing the band members formerly in Oingo Boingo (without Elfman of course). The showed interest in Tone Loc or Herman’s Hermits.

Roofie song on NYE is akin to “Every Breath You Take” or “One Way Or Another” at a wedding, in that it’s appropriately inappropriate

what date rate vibes?

Ask them if they’ve seen Fern Gully.

Not only does Tone Loc have a speaking part, he sings a song written by Jimmy Buffet.

There’s always this too:

https://youtu.be/bVXNF5SoXOs?si=ENHJc47JOzUZyp06

Roofie song on NYE is akin to “Every Breath You Take” or “One Way Or Another” at a wedding, in that it’s appropriately inappropriate

We’ve done both at various weddings. Both are regularly requested, and even after we explain what each is about, we are normally told to do them anyway. Unlike this forum, most people aren’t that sensitive.

Reminds me of this sign at a bar in Gainesville we used to go to.

The Salty Dog?

what date rate vibes?

This brother told me a secret on how to get more chicks
Put a little Medina in your glass, and the girls’ll come real quick
It’s better than any alcohol or aphrodisiac
A couple of sips of this love potion, and she’ll be on your lap