Full Ironman Heel Strike Shoe Help

Hello Everyone,

I’m 6’4”, 190lbs, size 13 with flat arches and regular width feet. I’ve done 6 fulls at around 3:30 in size 14 Hoka Bondi’s(seem to run small for me) but I’m trying to step up my game to 3:15 or so. I typically land on my midfoot but when running downhill and when exhausted, as is the case in Ironman, I tend to heel strike quite a bit and rely on that Bondi cushion to get me through without injury. I do most of my long miles in them currently. I’m looking for something with newer foam perhaps? Lighter and faster but still supportive in a sloppy tired heel strike downhill. I’m doing Chattanooga and if I remember right from 8 years ago, it’s got some downhills…

I have tried the Hoka Carbon X3 and can run a hilly 13.1 at 1:25 in them but not enough cushion for a full Ironman run.

I have the ASICS Metaspeed Sky+, definitely can’t run downhill in them. Too much stack on the forefoot? I need perfect form and tons of forward lean to run well in them. Maybe a good 10k shoe for me.

I also have the Rocket X2’s and I like them but once again, maybe not the best for when my form falls apart and heel striking becomes a thing. Seems like a good 1/2 marathon shoe for me.

I have been considering the Saucony Endorphin Speed 4? Does that shoe make sense for me? I know the Pro has more cushion but it seems like the carbon super shoes actually work against me when I’m fatigued or running downhill. I never could figure out forward lean downhill. Any thoughts or other suggestions to look into? It’s been tough finding a new shoe option. Thanks!

I would be interested to see if any ASICS Superblast 2 users chime in. Seems like that would be a good shoe for your use. The other shoe I really want to try that could be a good match is the Saucony Endorphin Pro.

No experience with either, but I’m trying to get my hands on both and they would seem to fit your needs.

I’m your height and weight with similar pace (3:05-3:10 in IM runs).

Try the Adios Pro 3. It has a heel bevel, good stability for a supershoe, and denser foam which works better at our weight.

I would be interested to see if any ASICS Superblast 2 users chime in. Seems like that would be a good shoe for your use. The other shoe I really want to try that could be a good match is the Saucony Endorphin Pro.

No experience with either, but I’m trying to get my hands on both and they would seem to fit your needs.

The superblast looks like a cool shoe but it’s over the 40mm Ironman limit. I doubt anyone would say anything but I’d hate to medal in my age group and have someone complain. I don’t know if that’s even a concern though?