Front end setup advice

Hey guys, first post here. I’ve been slowly descending into the triathlon depths over the last couple of years to the point that I find myself on an online forum. The ultimate sign that I’ve been gripped.

I’m about two seasons into the sport and still on my first tri-bike. A very old Argon E-112. I think I’d like to stick with it for another year or two before making a bigger investment in a new bike/ frame but wondered whether I could make any obvious, inexpensive gains out of the frame I have currently. Specifically, I think the front end/ cockpit is pretty old fashioned - high angled stem with the pads on the base bar (it’s an old Profile Design T2+ Wing). Would it be any more aero to go with a flatter stem and risers on the bar? Tried to include some pics but couldn’t shrink them down to size. Thanks!

Hey Joe, glad you’re excited about the sport! I’ve tried out a few different bikes recently and dialing in the front end/ cockpit can be annoying for sure. Go with whatever is comfortable and allows you to stay down on your aero bars. You’re totally right a simple riser goes a long way. Amazon has 30-70mm profile design risers for $30. I picked up one of those on my last bike , a 2013 Jamis Xenith T2 with Di2 and man that was a game changer for me. That and just rotating the aero bars in a little towards center. Really comfy and aero!

Also simple things like socks (or aero calf sleeves), nice helmet, and a quality tri suit will shave off extra time for sure! Some marginal speed gains from a new bike for sure but it’ wasn’t immediately obvious for my Felt IA disc and nothings beats a good fit.