Flo 77 AS vs Lun HYPER D67

I’m looking to get a budget friendly wheelset and I’ve narrowed it down to the Flo 77 or Lun HYPER D67. I was wondering if anyone had any input on these 2 wheelsets. They are priced the same so that doesn’t matter. TIA.

IIRC LUN is Winspace, they are cheap knock offs, a while back I believe they got caught lying about how their wheels were wound or filament spun.

There may or may not be anything wrong with “cheap knock offs” but there is no reason to pay twice (or more) the price for LUN over say Light bicycle/ other etc.

Maurice

I’ve had flos before and liked them. Plus, you know the owners are members here and post frequently right?

They are good guys.

IIRC LUN is Winspace, they are cheap knock offs, a while back I believe they got caught lying about how their wheels were wound or filament spun.

There may or may not be anything wrong with “cheap knock offs” but there is no reason to pay twice (or more) the price for LUN over say Light bicycle/ other etc.

Maurice

I’m not a particular fan of Winspace, but what are these a knock off of? I don’t see these being a copy of a big brand other than they are round and made of carbon. There’s a difference between a cheap (usually open mould) wheel or frame and a knock off/replica/copy.

Maurice

I’m not a particular fan of Winspace, but what are these a knock off of? I don’t see these being a copy of a big brand other than they are round and made of carbon. There’s a difference between a cheap (usually open mould) wheel or frame and a knock off/replica/copy.

There is an 87 page thread on weight weenies :wink: I won’t link out (bad manners) but effectively:

-6-8 other wheels exactly the same
-lying/fake aero test/data…
-lying about being filament wound

Plus many near death experiences on Reddit.

…IIRC Winspace=Farsports.

ETA: from way back but it looks like these:

https://fitlite-bike.aliexpress.com/store/group/Xlight-super-light-wheel/3103030_516031735.html

Maurice

Those are just open mould rims, which is not the same as a knock off. Here you just have a design licensed out to several buyers that then sell them. Very common, even larger brands sometimes have this, IIRC Ritchey even have had an open mould frame in their line-up and Reserve’s TT disc brake disc wheel looks to be an open mould wheel.

Winspace, like a lot of other Chinese brands, sells open mould stuff and you can often find the same rims or frames under other brands. That’s not the same as the sellers selling knock off frames or wheels where they make an exact replica (visually) of a Specialized/Pinarello/Princeton/etc.

Those are just open mould rims, which is not the same as a knock off. Here you just have a design licensed out to several buyers that then sell them. Very common, even larger brands sometimes have this, IIRC Ritchey even have had an open mould frame in their line-up and Reserve’s TT disc brake disc wheel looks to be an open mould wheel.

Winspace, like a lot of other Chinese brands, sells open mould stuff and you can often find the same rims or frames under other brands. That’s not the same as the sellers selling knock off frames or wheels where they make an exact replica (visually) of a Specialized/Pinarello/Princeton/etc.

Sure, the difference is timeline. When those winspace wheels came out there were already a bunch of other wheels available that were exactly the same.

Meaning Winspace is (or at least was at that time) the buyer…NOT THE SELLER…at least at the time they came out.

IE they are buying rims/hubs/wheels from others and re-badging them as something original…for 2-3 times the price.

Maurice

They are most likely buying them from the same factory as the other (re-)sellers. No more, no less. Winspace is trying to target the Western market and have better support than the standard Chinese sellers here - if they do or not I don’t know.

You could buy what looks to me like the exact same disc wheel as Reserve sells from Chinese brands a long time before Reserve started selling it. But again, Reserve are likely just buying the wheel from the same factory as the Chinese sellers (or buying the moulds from the same place). They’re unlikely to buy the wheels from the Chinese sellers and re-selling it.

They are most likely buying them from the same factory as the other (re-)sellers. No more, no less. Winspace is trying to target the Western market and have better support than the standard Chinese sellers here - if they do or not I don’t know.

You could buy what looks to me like the exact same disc wheel as Reserve sells from Chinese brands a long time before Reserve started selling it. But again, Reserve are likely just buying the wheel from the same factory as the Chinese sellers (or buying the moulds from the same place). They’re unlikely to buy the wheels from the Chinese sellers and re-selling it.

Sure, but why pay double to triple for Winspace over generic? Even Light bicycle, Yoleo and Far sports have a North American phone/office/distribution. As you say they appear to be a website, no more, no less.

WRT reserve wheels, not sure what they do. As far as I know the only N/A companies that still build/design wheels in house are ENVE and We Are One composites.

This was about Flo vs Winspace, and again not even touching the issues of “aero testing”, butterfly cosmetic lay up vs “winding”, resin burning, rim failures mounting the tires etc.

Chris and John actually have a business in N/A which comes with things like liability insurance, not to mention their transparency, methods…and actual evidence when it comes to testing.

Maurice

I’m sure the flo wheels are slightly more aero, but IMO as long as you’re getting wheels with the appropriate width for the tires you want to run, kinda suspect most are good these days. With that in mind, flo wheels are just too heavy. I’d get the winspace, or better yet I’d get some from light bicycle.

We also design our wheels, make our tooling and make our wheels in house.
We’re in the US. Minnesota.

We also design our wheels, make our tooling and make our wheels in house.
We’re in the US. Minnesota.

Thanks for chiming in, I haven’t bought a “nice” set of wheels in 10 years. Dustin at We Are One is local to me, I wouldn’t say we are buddies…but know each other from the local scene for 25 years now. His first hire was a machinist/CNC operator. His first purchase was an extremely expensive CNC machine. He is only MTB and just recently gravel.

My understanding (as a layman) is that post molding process/strength/and finish is much, much better if you can control it from design to dirt.

I’m sure you guys are the same in the quality of your process.

Maurice

^ what Andy said. HED is awesome, I love my vanquish set (and I had a set of 650 trispokes on my Kestrel KM40 way back in the day).

I had a set of Flos and they’re my least favorite wheels to date. I sold them after 2 months at a pretty big loss. In multiple dealings with the owners, I’ve found them to be condescending and rude. YMMV

Yep,
Bike cost more than car::5 axis CNC cost more than house.

it’s always something.

Winspace = fast

Flo = slow

the testing data is not great for FLO

the testing data is not great for FLO

What recent independent testing is there?

Don’t you dare say Hambini! :slight_smile:

https://www.hambini.com/testing-to-find-the-fastest-bicycle-wheels/

does anyone (besides wheel companies) argue his testing? If so, I’d like to learn more.

Well I didn’t say Hambini, but he ran the tests and presented the data and findings

https://www.hambini.com/testing-to-find-the-fastest-bicycle-wheels/

does anyone (besides wheel companies) argue his testing? If so, I’d like to learn more.

I said don’t do the Hambini thing!

“Yes,” to put it mildly, including Tom Anhalt. But let’s move on, as I don’t want to give that dude any more clicks than he’s gettting.

Any recent independent testing that’s not Hambini?