Five things to do to fix US Healthcare (that doesn't involve government taking it over)

The PE thread got me thinking

1. Require all health insurers to be mutual

2. Through the tax code encourage daresay force hospital systems to be charities

3. Implement Medical Malpractice reform so the country resembles Wisconsin or Indiana

4. Require prescription drugs be sold at the same price

5. Require hospital systems to staff themselves

I’m open to other suggestions that fit within the current framework

1. Implement Medical Malpractice reform so the country resembles Wisconsin or Indiana

36 states have medical malpractice tort reform already in place. Most of those 36 states have caps that are lower than Wisconsin ($750,000) and Indiana ($1,250,000), not sure why you picked those two as they are both on the high side.

2. Through the tax code encourage daresay force hospital systems to be charities

3. Implement Medical Malpractice reform so the country resembles Wisconsin or Indiana

Don’t all of those require government intervention and ongoing monitoring for compliance?

Actually enforce price discrimination and price tying laws and make it illegal for discounts greater than 10% off a published price for all good/ services delivered. Require everything to have a price visible to consumers.

So you can’t charge $5k for an MRI but be happy if BCBS pays $800. I think these “discounts” are actually price tying - the cost of a good is based on your buying what should be a different unrelated good.

This false pricing forces more people into inflated insurance purchases because they cannot access the same services for the same prices if not insured.

ETA- what ever facility you enter needs to give you one bill for everything that happens in that facility.

Just came home from fusion surgery, bill approx 73,000. Fortunately great insurance, my bill was $1.49

Don’t all of those require government intervention and ongoing monitoring for compliance?

Regulation

Prevent pharmaceutical reps and similar from talking directly with doctors and other care providers. They can advertise in trade journals and give presentations at conferences. Detailed information can be shared through their websites.

Prevent pharmaceutical reps and similar from talking directly with doctors and other care providers. They can advertise in trade journals and give presentations at conferences. Detailed information can be shared through their websites.

That would probably be a First Amendment violation

Actually enforce price discrimination and price tying laws and make it illegal for discounts greater than 10% off a published price for all good/ services delivered. Require everything to have a price visible to consumers.

So you can’t charge $5k for an MRI but be happy if BCBS pays $800. I think these “discounts” are actually price tying - the cost of a good is based on your buying what should be a different unrelated good.

This false pricing forces more people into inflated insurance purchases because they cannot access the same services for the same prices if not insured.

ETA- what ever facility you enter needs to give you one bill for everything that happens in that facility.

I had to read this three time to get your main thrust… interesting concept

Please help me understand how #2 does anything? Many hospital/health systems are charity based or effectively not for profit (I happen to work for one that while technically is for profit, would better be classified in reality as not for profit). Making our system a charity changes nothing at all. We still get paid shit by the government for services (less than 50% of the cost of the services). That is why there are different prices for the same MRI. It might cost us $1000 to give you an MRI. The government will reimburse us $300. So, we charge $2000 for insured patients to not have to close up our radiology department.

Just came home from fusion surgery, bill approx 73,000. Fortunately great insurance, my bill was $1.49

Though of course your bill would never have actually been $73,000. If you know the coded reimbursement rate for a handful of in network insurance providers and offered exactly that the hospital would almost certainly have accepted it.

Please help me understand how #2 does anything? Many hospital/health systems are charity based or effectively not for profit (I happen to work for one that while technically is for profit, would better be classified in reality as not for profit). Making our system a charity changes nothing at all. We still get paid shit by the government for services (less than 50% of the cost of the services). That is why there are different prices for the same MRI. It might cost us $1000 to give you an MRI. The government will reimburse us $300. So, we charge $2000 for insured patients to not have to close up our radiology department.

I have no problem with you charging insured patients $2k if that’s what you negotiate. What I don’t get is if you are happy with $2k for an insured person why is it billed at $5k with a discount to $2k and an uninsured person is billed the $5k? Why are there so many games with prices. If an MRI is $2k publish the price and charge it. Maybe there needs to be a separate government discount. But the current pricing scheme of giving 80% discounts to insured patients should be illegal.

Though of course your bill would never have actually been $73,000. If you know the coded reimbursement rate for a handful of in network insurance providers and offered exactly that the hospital would almost certainly have accepted it.

Then why don’t we make it required they bill at that rate rather than making it harder in the most vulnerable.

1. Different Taxes
  2. Can get donations
  3. To keep tax status have to do charity
  4. keeps “profits” in the system

1. Different Taxes
  2. Can get donations

I cannot speak in any capacity on our taxes.
We get donations through our separate foundation (that is a charity)
The amount of care we right off (counts as charity) is immense, so I doubt we would need to change anything there either.
Ummm, in the system? The profit for most systems is tiny and is spent giving staff raises so they do not go get a job at the local Burger King, buying new equipment, etc…. Where do people think we are throwing money around to?

1. Different Taxes
  2. Can get donations

The amount of care we right off (counts as charity) is immense, so I doubt we would need to change anything there either.
Ummm, in the system? The profit for most systems is tiny and is spent giving staff raises so they do not go get a job at the local Burger King, buying new equipment, etc…. Where do people think we are throwing money around to?

HCA and Tenet come to mind

Who owns your company? What is the dividend?

1. Different Taxes
  2. Can get donations

I’m curious. Do you write off the care at the $5k MRI cost that no one actually pays?

Limit the amount a hospital can own. The largest property owner in my area is the “non-profit” hospital. They purchase the land and it leaves the tax rolls.

Limit the salary and bonuses of management. In fact, eliminate bonuses.

Any money in excess annually must go towards reducing rates. Pay the doctors and nurses more, I’m ok with that.

1. Different Taxes
  2. Can get donations

HCA and Tenet come to mind

Who owns your company? What is the dividend?

Ours is a catholic based hospital that is an oddball mix of a private company and a catholic monastary as the owners. I saw mix in that for instance our flagship hospital the land was owned by the sisters, and the building was owned by the company. But the company is a private company but not a large system (16000 total employees across three states).

As far as what rate we use when writing off care that is not paid for, again I could not say the details on that.

Pay administration less? Interesting idea. The quality of leaders will go down. And do not forget, some of our highest reimbursed leaders (CEO, CMO, etc…) are physicians. They may only “practice” medicine once a month or so, but they are still physicians. So, I am confident your idea to pay Dr’s and nurses more would apply to them in that sense.

Some of my concerns would be the need for more sub acute bed. So, a patient no longer needs to be in the hospital, but cannot go home. Well, they stay in the hospital since there are no beds for them. Guess what, we do not get paid for those days (by insurance or government payers) and it gums up the system for patients that actually need a bed too. So we are paying nurses and doctors while not getting reimbursed at all. A

We have one lady in our hospital since last March. Almost one year now. We have had over 15000 patient days in the hospital above needed over the last year. The overall price of care goes down if those patients had a place to go with the proper level of care, so we could get the next patient in that needs an actual bed. Heck, we might be able to shrink our overall size which would be overall less costly too.

Hush. He “detests liberals”….even if they have some good ideas.