Fit Advice for 6'6

Looking to buy my first TT bike, but can’t for the life of me figure out what size to look for. Sometimes I’ll read of a 6’1 Guy on a XL speedmax that ‘fits way too small for him’, others I will see a 6’6 fellow big guy fitting on a Large Giant Trinity. Point is, hard to find a good place to start when there is so much conflicting information, especially on places that don’t carry as much knowledge (facebook marketplace i’m talking to you)

Therefore, if anyone can give any input, I’d appreciate it.

For reference:

Current bike - Canyon Endurace 2XL, completely slammed/shortened stem, still feels too high/big, saddle height around 87cm from BB. Rode a 58 Giant TCR advanced 2, which felt much better stock. picture of me on the Giant attached.

I’m early 20s, quite athletic, 6’6-7 (around 198) with a whopping 39 inch inseam and a 6’7 wingspan. all around rather proportional, but legs a bit long. Weigh a measly 180-185 so not too heavy either. Think of Magnus Ditlev and you’re pretty much there with what I look like, maybe sligthly longer legs.

I seem to prefer a shorter reach, as feeling super stretched out makes me feel sore and unhappy in all places, and I don’t mind a bigger saddle/bar drop. I’ve looked at old Cervelo P5s at 58/61 sizes and Speedmaxes at L/XL. All the talk about a ‘63-64’ frame can be skipped, as indicated by my 2XL Endurace feeling too big.

In any case, any advice on where to start?

IMG_1247.jpeg

look up Lennard Zinn, he is an expert in just this sort of thing. I believe his web site may have some suggestions. He makes bikes specifically for tall people because he is one.

6’5" here. I ride a 58 Cannondale Superslice personally. Best to get a proper fit before buying anything.

Find out where the best fitter is in your area and start there. They should put you on a machine and change things like stack and reach until you find your happy place. THen, when that is done, you will have coordinates to find the bike or bikes that fit that range.

I would NOT buy a bike that says it fits a specific size range without getting a fit. FIT FIRST!

Good luck!

*Where are you located?

how is the fit on it? Can i ask your saddle height and pad x/y?

I enjoy it. I have the Wattshop Anemoi extensions and there’s plenty of adjustment with those to dial it in for me. Ended up needing to extend the reach a bit with their adapters.

Trying to do exactly that, I’m in between the UK and Sweden. Sweden has one very good fitter, but super expensive, whereas the UK has a bunch that are cheaper but seemingly hobbyists who just do it on the weekends. I’ve been to one of those, ended up sitting practically upright with a saddle height i couldn’t reach :/.

if you were to change bikes, would you try to get a bigger frame, or do you think a 58 is sufficient with the right cockpit settings?

I’m 6’5” and ride a 61cm Cervelo NP3. I’ve pretty standard upper/lower body distribution. I could probably ride a 59cm P3 but I might feel a bit cramped on it. If you’re shorter in the upper body, which it sounds like you might be with that inseam, the 59cm, or 57cm even, might be a better starting point. I just thought I’d chime in as I’m close to your height and you’re not in Shauqille O’Neal custom bike territory / Zinn bike, etc…

With the obvious caveat that a good bike fit is the first choice!

Solid input. Yea, my legs are just a bit longer proportionally than my torso, nothing crazy but still. Would you say it’s more beneficial to go down for a smaller frame (as long as it can fit the saddle height) and spend some extra for a ‘custom’ cockpit to get the stack reach? as opposed to getting bigger frame and trying to size it down just to fit the seat and stack.

6’5" and I ride a 58cm Felt DA and B series and a 61cm FR road bike.

able to provide saddle height and pad x/y for reference?

Zdeno Chara, retired NHL player, is 6’9". He is all in on triathlon these days riding a Gen 3 Trek Speed Concept. He works with Brian at Fast Splits in Boston, a well respected fitter in the area.

What are your fit numbers for a TT bike?

Not sure what you mean by that. If you’re asking for my cockpit numbers, I’ve never owned a TT bike, so couldn’t tell you.

You should know your fit numbers so that you can buy a bike that will fit you.

Trying to do exactly that, I’m in between the UK and Sweden. Sweden has one very good fitter, but super expensive, whereas the UK has a bunch that are cheaper but seemingly hobbyists who just do it on the weekends. I’ve been to one of those, ended up sitting practically upright with a saddle height i couldn’t reach :/.

When you say super expensive, how much? I will suggest that if it isn’t really unreasonable-that you do it. It sucks to swallow shelling out that much money for a fit, but it should keep you from getting the wrong bike, which would be way more costly than getting the right fit and the right bike.

Good luck!

I’m 6 4 and just got a large speed concept but could have got same for on both xl or medium. I spent most of my life riding frames that were too long for me as I’m all legs and no spine.

Don’t fall for height being an indicator for frame size. Fwiw if leggy then also beware of height and weight as indicator for wetsuit size too

As others have said.
Find a bike fitter first, and make an informed decision.
Now with that being said, I am 6’4" and have made just about every bad decision you can make on bike decision over the 20yrs I have been in Triathlon. See the comment above. When I did not listen to the bike fitter recommendations.

You will probably have success with the Canyon, New Cervelo P Series, Felt B12 ( I know not sexy, but being 6’6" will save you a ton of money for transportation beteen t1 and t2. Most Superbikes won’t fit you).

Make good decisions on your Aerobars. Stack from pedestalling your aerobars, not the stem. Profile Design has some really good options.

Short cranks will help with hip angels. By short I mean 172 vs 175 or 177.

Good luck, btw did I mention find a fitter?

A bike fit is definitely the best option, even if a bit pricy. would shortening the cranks require a higher saddle? For example going from 175 to 172.5, would i raise the saddle by 2.5mm, or does that only come into account if you go really short like 165 with the cranks.

Also,what do you mean by a superbike? something like the Cervelo PX or Felt FRD? Not really interested in those anyway, they’re very much not the bike I’m into.