First half IM where in the US

Where is the best half IM for a first timer? Flat and not to windy. or which one do you recommend.

1/2 Vineman, Sonoma, CA.

Lansing Legislator

http://www.3disciplines.com/legisltr_04.html

swim is decidedly flat. bike is nearly so save for mimimal grade change rollers out through the farm country on very nice road surfaces. run also features minimal grade changes.

now as for the wind…if you can find anyone who can guarantee how much there will be at any given venue on any given day…i’d like to spend a few moments with that most wise of individuals.

You should check out the Spokane Troika.

Muncie Endurathon

Don’t you mean Ironman 70.3? :slight_smile:

I second Muncie…fairly easy course…closed roads on bike course…decent support…flat run and bike…

I lost my 1/2 virginity there and if I found it fairly “easy” then I would encourage anyone to try it…

Paul

I second Muncie…fairly easy course…closed roads on bike course…decent support…flat run and bike…

I lost my 1/2 virginity there and if I found it fairly “easy” then I would encourage anyone to try it…

Paul

That was my 1st half!

Come to Steelhead on August 6th! Great Race - go to www.steelheadtriathlon.com for race information. Z

Given your criteria, Diamondman (Delaware, Sept. 11; www.piranha-sports.com) or Pineman (Ohio, Sept. 18; www.hfpracing.com) are other options. Also, you could get a General Entry slot at the U.S. Half Championship in Kansas City on Sept. 25 (www.ushalfchampionship.com).

If you have any problems AT ALL with heat, I would strongly suggest you find a race in September (Pineman comes to mind)

Don’t get me wrong. I LOVE Steelhead, and to a lesser extend Muncie (my first). But those races will be HOT. No way around it.

I’ve done Pineman races 2x (2002 IM, 2001 70.3 when it was @ Mohican). Pineman now is very flat, and the temperatures have been cool when I’ve done them.

My $0.02

Go to www.trifind.com click on half Iron Distance…plenty of choices.

I did the Pineman 1/4 distance back around 2003 in the fog too. It was my first triathlon with an open water swim. The fog had started to lift when they sent us off and then it rolled back in. It was too foggy to see anything and you would look up and all of the swimmers around you were headed in different directions. Somehow I rounded a couple of buoys - for all I knew, they could have been the same buoy - before finding the shore and the swim exit I was so relieved to have made it through the swim that I really enjoyed the rest of the race. The swim almost caused me to give up tris but the rest of the race got me hooked and I did tris for 13 more years before I stopped racing (now I just ride my bike).

You dug up a 16 year old thread.

I wasn’t even sure we had the internet this long ago

I’d really like to know what Chex decided and did, but s/he has not logged on since 2007.

https://akns-images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2016107/rs_1024x759-161107120558-1024AOL.jpg

You’ve got mail

https://akns-images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2016107/rs_1024x759-161107120558-1024AOL.jpg