Finally, NEW Shimano Tri Shoes!

https://ride.shimano.com/collections/triathlon/products/sh-tr903?variant=40187351924808

I’ve been waiting forever for a new pair!
I just wish they came in white as an option.

Try before you buy. I liked the lightness of the Shimano shoes, but I will say I tried a Shimano shoe on this spring, side by side with the Velo Vetta at the same time. The comfort of the VV was dang nice, room in the toes–the Shimano felt like the toes were “squished” due to the toe box. I did like the Fizik Aeroweave, but they didn’t have my size (online). The store I tried didn’t have the VV my size either. But things changed for this summer unfortunately with an injury so sticking with my old shoes for now…

I like the blue but I always question the BOA dial on a tri shoe.

So those are still not the ones Blu uses. Anyone knows which is the model he wears (racing and training). They are more similar to the TR5 model than to these and I haven’t managed to find out

is it the lactate strips?
rectal heat flux thermometers?
blood glucose patches?
blood plasma booster?
real-time a.i. pitot tube?

Nah but it’s gotta be tha shoes

I’m curious as to why it is called a sprint and Olympic distance shoe?

On the boa, I LOVE boa . . . perhaps once set you only use the strap in transition.

Interesting… I have had the bright blue TR9 for years, and they have been fantastic. The Velcro is starting to get a little worn, and my one beef is getting them tight at the start of a ride. I wonder if the new strap closure is any easier? And, I would go with the gray to match my bike and stuff. I need to check these out…

I use my tri shoes for most rides. I occasionally use my other ones for road rides, but I like the ease of the shoe and love the fit in the toe box…I like to be able to wiggle my toes a little, and not feel stiff.

It appears to me that the strap seems lightweight, almost like their spin shoes they have…have you seen them?

I think the combo of boa and strap is a good idea. You could set the boa at tight but not too tight, have the velcro open and slip your foot in while riding. Then tighten the strap down, click the boa a couple of times and off you go.

Having a Boa on the outside would require you to spin and spin that thing while riding and would not be practical, IMO. At least, with my high arches I have to have boa’s all the way open.

I use my tri shoes for most rides. I occasionally use my other ones for road rides, but I like the ease of the shoe and love the fit in the toe box…I like to be able to wiggle my toes a little, and not feel stiff.

It appears to me that the strap seems lightweight, almost like their spin shoes they have…have you seen them?No, I didn’t know they have spin shoes. I have had a pair of S-Phyre RC9 road shoes for a while that I just replaced a month ago. They were starting to come apart a little bit, so it was time. They served many thousands of miles. I probably have 20K miles in my RC9s.

Sorry to say this but Shimano makes some shitty tri shoes IMO. I have tiny, narrow, small feet and when velcro is facing crank/chain side, I have so much extra strap and they hit crank arms big time. I’ve thought about cutting them short but if I do that, I don’t have much velcro surface left. Velcro should face outside. Try Lake tri shoes. Good quality leather, comfortable and great design. Pearl Izumi is heavy and material is tough. Fizik is so soft, I feel like I lose power. Trust me, I’ve tried a lot of tri shoes in the past.

Sorry to say this but Shimano makes some shitty tri shoes IMO. I have tiny, narrow, small feet and when velcro is facing crank/chain side, I have so much extra strap and they hit crank arms big time. I’ve thought about cutting them short but if I do that, I don’t have much velcro surface left. Velcro should face outside. Try Lake tri shoes. Good quality leather, comfortable and great design. Pearl Izumi is heavy and material is tough. Fizik is so soft, I feel like I lose power. Trust me, I’ve tried a lot of tri shoes in the past.Nothing to be sorry about. They just don’t fit you.

I am the opposite. I have wide toes, so I need a shoe with a wide toe box. The Shimano is perfect for me. Sounds like you need a shoe designed for a narrower foot. None of those would work for me, but that does not make them shitty.

Sorry to say this but Shimano makes some shitty tri shoes IMO. I have tiny, narrow, small feet and when velcro is facing crank/chain side, I have so much extra strap and they hit crank arms big time. I’ve thought about cutting them short but if I do that, I don’t have much velcro surface left. Velcro should face outside. Try Lake tri shoes. Good quality leather, comfortable and great design. Pearl Izumi is heavy and material is tough. Fizik is so soft, I feel like I lose power. Trust me, I’ve tried a lot of tri shoes in the past.Nothing to be sorry about. They just don’t fit you.

I am the opposite. I have wide toes, so I need a shoe with a wide toe box. The Shimano is perfect for me. Sounds like you need a shoe designed for a narrower foot. None of those would work for me, but that does not make them shitty.

I was talking about velcro facing the crank. That’s not a good design. LG, Lake, Fizik and Specialized face outside. Better design. That’s the very basic for me. Shimano can’t even get the basic right. You have to see how annoying that can be. Straps keep hitting crank arms during entire race.

I was talking about velcro facing the crank. That’s not a good design. LG, Lake, Fizik and Specialized face outside. Better design. That’s the very basic for me. Shimano can’t even get the basic right. You have to see how annoying that can be. Straps keep hitting crank arms during entire race.

It’s intentional for tri shoes so you can dismount.

Just got a pair of Rc3 and kinda unsure how they are functionally different…Is that velcro really faster?

It’s intentional for tri shoes so you can dismount. LOL WUT?

So, you can’t dismount with the velcro on the outside??

That’s news to me.

I have some cheap Pearl Izumi tri shoes
(because they’re about the only ones I could find that work w 2-bolt MTB SPD cleats, which I use on every bike I own),
and the big main velcro strap is on the outsides of the shoes.

They open up wide for on-pedal flying mounts, and then I just grab the strap and crank it down, and away I go.

For dismounts, release the strap on each side, slide my foot out and onto the tops of the shoes, then do the flying dismount into T2.

If the velcro strap fastens to the outside, it hits the bike/crank arm when it’s open. If it fastens to the inside, it might hit the bike/crank arm when it’s closed if the shoes are too narrow for you, or you don’t trim the end of the strap.
It’s generally been conventional wisdom that for Tri shoes, the latter is better.
YMMV, but this isn’t a design flaw. It’s completely intentional, and has generally always been considered a feature, not a bug.

Thanks for the heads up. Does anyone know whether Giro or Northwave are going to release new tri_shoes too?