Favorite things to see, do and eat in London, Paris and Munich

What are your top spots to see and things to eat in these cities?

Reminds me of that joke* …

In Heaven - The Brits are responsible for entertainment, French take care of the food, and Germans organize everything.
In Hell - The Brits handle the food, the French organize it, and the Germans attempt entertainment.

(have heard variations that knock Italians and Swiss as well).

London has something for everyone. Free museums (donation), most of the big “sights” are close together (palace, westminster abbey, parliament, etc). there are free walking tour companies (strawberry Tours for example) who work for tips if you want a guide. Ripper tour at night was fun (fee - but not expensive). Many of the EPL teams do stadium tours if you have a soccer/football fan. Could even get tickets if you plan ahead - but tough for the top teams (we went to west ham and spurs games when we were in London 5 years ago - but season not started yet). Food - I’m afraid there is only Nandos. Tough if you don’t like chicken or are vegetarian.

London - British Museum, Museum of London, National Portrait Gallery, Imperial War Museum, parks

Paris - trip out to Versailles, walking the streets, bakeries and then more bakeries

Munich - only been in the airport

In Munich, the Hoffbrau Haus is a very historical place to get a bier.
The sausage and pretzels are tasty as well.
Rathaus Glockenspiel is an amazing clock to see in the main square.
Think life-size cuckoo clock.
London has tons of history. It’s been 20 years and England wasn’t known for food. Do not order a margaritas in a pub as my wife tried to do. She was thoroughly mocked.

In London we did High Tea at St Ermine’s which was good and a little less formal than other high teas. Also hit Tower of London.

What are your top spots to see and things to eat in these cities?

I’ve never been to Munich. But if that’s your thing, museums are world class in London and in Paris. Recommend visiting the British Museum (traditional), Tate (more modern art). And Paris of course has the Loeuvre and fun stuff like the Pompidou center (which I think is closed for multi year renovations).

There’s a certain snobbery on the part of the British museum community. There are extensive collections from Britain’s history in other countries and a hot button issue is whether these artifacts should be repatriated or not; There are also doubts about if these artifacts were acquired on the up and up. Even if not, part of the British response is that they’re better able to take care of these precious artifacts anyway so should get to keep them.

Mona Lisa is in the Loeuvre. But unless you get a private tour (like Snoop Dogg), it’ll be difficult to view. It’s not a large piece, it’s behind bulletproof glass, and typically surrounded by tons of people.

And of course do the sidewalk cafe’s in Paris. In London, hang out in a pub for a bit instead. Also, heading out to Stonehenge was a cool outing (even though it rained on our trip out there, but very British).

I saw a Shakespeare play (As You Like It) at the Globe Theater in London. One of coolest things I’ve ever done.

Louvre is the Louvre, but I loved the Musee d’Orsay and would say it is can’t miss.

For cheap and cheerful in London, Yorkshire burrito in Camden Market. it’s like a Sunday roast wrapped up in a yorkshire pudding. https://www.yorkshireburrito.com/ Walk along Regents canal, https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/canals-and-rivers/regents-canal. Have a pizza at Cafe Laville right over the canal. https://cafelaville.co.uk/

Munich, the English Gardens, walk down to the Eisbachwelle where they surf on the river. It’s at the southern end of the park. Viktuallenmarkt has loads of options. https://www.viktualienmarkt-muenchen.de/en/home/

Paris, visit the Hermes store, it’s in an old swimming pool. It’s a beautiful store, https://senatus.net/article/hermes-opens-new-store-17-rue-de-sevres/

“British” food can be used to describe quite a spectrum, given the extensive colonial history.

More traditional British food doesn’t seem to get considered when reverting to the jingoistic insults we all tend to level at other nationals, which is a shame as many game dishes; or warming, rich recipes are fantastic. Somewhere like Strakers or The Cow pub would be a good shout. The other thing to enjoy in London is the sheer multicultural nature of the food landscape. Similarly, Paris has some of the best ramen in Europe.

My daughter has been living in London for the past five years. Yes, museums are free and take advantage of that, do not feel obligated to spend all day in one. Go the the Natural History museum, walk in and marvel at the blue whale skeleton hanging from the ceiling then walk right back out.

Notice not one person mentioned the Wallace Collection Museum? I think it’s a hidden treasure, small enough to do the whole thing, it has a nice restaurant in the middle and possibly the largest collection of armour and weapons. You’ll see amazing paintings with no crowds blocking them. You’ll stand next to Rembrandts and wonder where the crowds are.

Research Mudlarking. I do it each time I go to London and no I do not buy a license.

The Tube is faster but I enjoy the buses. Very easy to take with Google maps showing the bus number and where to stand and they’re cheaper than the Tube. If you take the wrong bus, just hop off. Take the wrong Tube and you might get quite the detour. Just because you’re at the right track to catch your train doesn’t mean every train is your train. Don’t see a train and rush to grab it without seeing which train it is!

If it’s hot out, go to the hidden cafe across the street from Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery. It’s underground, cool and has nice bathrooms.

Need a bathroom? Look for McDonalds or a Weatherspoons.

I love Paris, consider renting a bike and just tool around. Walk along the river and visit supermarkets! Visit supermarkets in France and Germany!

Best advice is start following any place you plan to see on instagram. It’s a treat to see what they showcase and then see it in real life.

Mini is very excited to have real British fish and chips! She was jumping up and down just at the thought of it. And while I know good chippers in Dublin- I’ve never had fish and chips in London. So open to suggestions.

Any activities a teenager would like are also appreciated. We will be meeting up with friends who live in Munich and have a teenager she has been texting with for a year or so.

We found cheap Thanksgiving flights into London and out of Munich. So everything between we need to figure out. Versailles is definitely on the list as is fish and chips and lots of baguettes.

We always ski/ hike on holidays - so want a city/ culture focused trip.

Paris - Musee D’Orsay, Pere Lachaise cemetery (awesome history and picture taking - say hi to Jim Morrison for me), riding Le Metro, food and beverage on the roof of La Semaritaine - nice views.

London
British museum
Westminster Abbey
221 Baker
Imperial War Museum
Royal Mews
Harrods
Fortnum and Mason
Churchhill’s bunker
A premier league game
A play
Pubs lots and lots of pubs
The Old Bailey
Tower of London
Jack the Ripper tour
If you have time a trip to Greenwich, Oxford, or Stonehenge

Drink cask ale exclusively since nonexistent here
Eat fish and chips at a good place
Have a ploughman’s lunch at a pub
Brick lane for curry
Harrod’s food hall
Fortnum and Mason is awesome
A kebab sometime after midnight

Paris
The usual stuff (Eiffel Tower, arc de Triumph, Champs Elyees, lourve, Notre Dame)

A bit off the beaten path

Hotel Invalides
Sacre Couer
The Opera
5th Ard.
Catacombs
Just walk around
If you have time drive or train out to Saint Michel, Normandy? Epernay, Versailles.

Have at least one crepe per day
Have at least one additional pastry per day
Drink wine
Drink cider
I have not had a bad meal in France

Of you are in Munich around Thanksgiving, the Christmas Markets start on November 25th. There are so many throughout the city, the main one being in Marienplatz by the Glockenspiel.
https://www.munich.travel/en/topics/markets-festivals/christmas-markets

You’ll end up - I imagine - with more suggestions than you’ll have time for. Nonetheless, a few more for London:

The Tower Bridge walkway
The Golden Hind (not a pub; a reconstruction on the South Bank of the ship Drake sailed around the world)
The Globe - first pick if you want to see a show IMO.
The Temple of Mithras in the City, near Cannon Street (won’t take long, but worth it).
Lincoln’s Inn & Middle Temple (esp the round church in the latter, if you can get in)
Parliament Square

And if venturing out of London a bit:
Hampstead Heath & Highgate cemetery
Kew Gardens
Cambridge (hire a punt if the weather is fine)

Paris has been well covered. If, though, you like watching the Tour, go to the Champs Elysee and have a close look at the road surface. And how narrow that guttering is.

And definitely get the Eurostar from London to Paris.

“British” food can be used to describe quite a spectrum, given the extensive colonial history.

More traditional British food doesn’t seem to get considered when reverting to the jingoistic insults we all tend to level at other nationals, which is a shame as many game dishes; or warming, rich recipes are fantastic. Somewhere like Strakers or The Cow pub would be a good shout. The other thing to enjoy in London is the sheer multicultural nature of the food landscape. Similarly, Paris has some of the best ramen in Europe.

https://youtu.be/SZiPCJrd0_4?si=DNvtzzAv16GQwwAq

Paris - L’As du Fallafel
Munich - Augustiner-Keller if the weather is good

Mini is very excited to have real British fish and chips! She was jumping up and down just at the thought of it. And while I know good chippers in Dublin- I’ve never had fish and chips in London. So open to suggestions.

Any activities a teenager would like are also appreciated. We will be meeting up with friends who live in Munich and have a teenager she has been texting with for a year or so.

We found cheap Thanksgiving flights into London and out of Munich. So everything between we need to figure out. Versailles is definitely on the list as is fish and chips and lots of baguettes.

We always ski/ hike on holidays - so want a city/ culture focused trip.

I remember eating fish and chips iwrapped in newspaper in London. On another trip years later found out that they don’t do fish and chips that way anymore. Add croissants as a must in Paris too, of course.

In London Kew Gardens is someplace I have visited all three times. I like plants. The British Museum is the best museum. The Tower of London I think is a bit of a tourist trap. Churchill War rooms is good.

Paris I would say Saint Chapelle. Once we got tickets to a concert there I think it was Ravel and the sun set whilst the music was playing through the stained glass windows was wonderful. Paris has great food if you are willing to pay a lot for it. In Paris I would stick to eating fruit and bakery stuff and bistros. Way better meals for the money elsewhere in France I think, maybe I am doing it wrong. The Rodin museum is small and intimate but somewhat explicit in places. The Orsay is the best art museum I think. The Louvre is great but really spaced out. If you have to wait to get in it is a long day.