EV pickup truck... should I pull the trigger?

I have a pre-order for both the Tesla Cybertruck and the RAM 1500 REV. I have a late reservation # for the Tesla so I’m probably two years away from that being a reality plus it’s overpriced and has some issues (understatement). I’ve pretty much ruled out ever getting the Cybertruck. The RAM is due out later this year but I have no idea when I’d be able to get my hands on one and pricing hasn’t been announced.

Ford introduced a new trim level to the 2024 F-150 Lightning lineup called the Flash. It’s basically an XLT with the extended range battery and the high end tech package but at a $3K-$4K discount over an XLT equipped with the exact same options. Kind of a no brainer if you don’t want to move up to the Lariat trim level, IMO.

Local dealership has a Flash sitting on the showroom floor right now. I have a 2021 F-150 XLT PowerBoost (which is the hybrid version) so well acquainted with the F-150. It’s a similar color to my F-150 and the interior looks to be nearly identical. I think I can even move over my tri-fold tonneau cover.

Ford was supposedly working on the new F-150 Lighting redesign set to come out in 2025 or 2026 but the recent cut to Lightning production and EV sales concerns has insiders saying Ford is going to delay those plans and just do annual refreshes for the near future and a total redesign is several years away.

Decisions, decisions…

My neighbor has an F150 Lightning and the range, when doing truck-like things, is not great. If the bed is loaded down it’s significantly diminished from when there’s no weight. Towing anything, even a small double jetsking trailer or teardrop camper, also leads to a huge drop in range. It’s been fine for around town or going to the local res. It would be a non-starter for going up into the foothills or WY.

I live in coastal Florida and the most I ever haul around is kayaks and SUPs.

Well that answered lots of my questions. If you want an EV and want a truck, and its available go for it. They all have pro’s and con’s. The F-150 is what I call first generation EV’s so no heat pump, and some other issues, but cold performance is the big lack, but down there, no problem. You like fords, so you know a bit of what to expect, in layout, and feel. It can be a bit frustrating jumping oems as things are not where your use to, the infotainment and other human factors are just different. Which will be the case in an EV anyhow, but even more so changing from your brand.

not sure if you plan on needing a Fast Charger, but Ford I think is now on the Tesla so you have access to almost everything.

Why get the truck at all. Hauling stuff range reduced by 2/3. Just to carry bikes? My bolt has my bike fit in the back just fine.

Just do it.

The F-150 is what I call first generation EV’s so no heat pump

The F150 Lightning Flash model has a heat pump.

Why get the truck at all. Hauling stuff range reduced by 2/3. Just to carry bikes? My bolt has my bike fit in the back just fine.

I assume they want a truck, Last I looked 2/3 range reduction, vs not being able to haul a large load, is still the better option. Starting a garden up and kind of wish I had access to a pickup. Also 8 ft long 10 ft long 16 ft long things, don’t necessarily add much weight (cattle fencing) but are not fitting in my bolt.

Some people like trucks, maybe he never hauls just likes trucks.

The F-150 is what I call first generation EV’s so no heat pump

The F150 Lightning Flash model has a heat pump.

See leave the industry for a year. A quick google looks like they added it to all 2024 F-150’s.

Need to read up on their Vapor injecting heat pump… sounds like a marketing name. lol

But then you are driving a bolt. Many would prefer not to.

Do you ever worry about the occasional Hurricane and have to evacuate? If so, EV might not be the best decision.

Do you ever worry about the occasional Hurricane and have to evacuate? If so, EV might not be the best decision.

Don’t gas stations often run out of fuel before hurricanes? Electricity usually stays on until the storm.

Don’t gas stations often run out of fuel before hurricanes? Electricity usually stays on until the storm.

Not sure - but a fully loaded Ram 2500 can go a long way AND you can carry a few extra gas cans if you need need extra.

Not sure an EV can carry extra electricity.

Not sure - but a fully loaded Ram 2500 can go a long way AND you can carry a few extra gas cans if you need need extra.

OTOH, if you decide to stay in your home, some do reverse power or have outlets so you can have electricity if the power goes out.

Easy to find parking, similar range to the trucks. Anyways, if you haul stuff 10% of the time or less, just rent a truck. For kayak SUP, can get mini tow trailer

OTOH, if you decide to stay in your home, some do reverse power or have outlets so you can have electricity if the power goes out.

My Ram has outlets if you want to run power. But I’d assume most people who are in a Hurricane zone or other area where you lose power have generators and keep a few cans of gas to power them.

My wife has a vehicle, my son has a vehicle, I have a work vehicle. I have three other gas powered options.

Easy to find parking, similar range to the trucks. Anyways, if you haul stuff 10% of the time or less, just rent a truck. For kayak SUP, can get mini tow trailer

I already have a F-150. This would just be an EV F-150.

I wouldn’t drive a Bolt if someone gave me one for free. Different strokes for different folks. :slight_smile:

I already have a F-150. This would just be an EV F-150.

I wouldn’t drive a Bolt if someone gave me one for free. Different strokes for different folks. :slight_smile:

That makes 2 if us.

Why do people do this.

I have been on lots of discussions about a vehicle someone wants to buy… This person wants a truck, why do you care, its their preferred vehicle, it has its pro’s and cons. I mean your gonna be safer in F150 ev over a bolt. It has a heat pump the bolt does not. It can seat 5 comfortably the bolt cant. It can haul 4x8 sheets, and other larger items, the bolt can’t. If you can’t park an f150 ev you should not be driving, Granted I don’t live in LA or NY neither does OP I don’t think some people understand, in most of the country you have your choice of spots when you pull in some where, parking is just not an issue. Honestly, I own a bolt. Other than cost, I can’t tell you a single pro to a bolt over the F150 EV. I think the F150 also has a lot more power outlets for external stuff. Pickups make great tailgating party vehicles.

He wants a pick up, its okay, thats why they make them and bolts, some like chocolate, others vanilla/