Endless pool users: What has it done to your stroke and have you gotten better or worse in open water?

All,
I’m a very recent owner of an Endless pool (not the exact brand but a pool with a decent turbine counter current). We bought it mainly for the kids to play but since its in the backyard now anyway I would like to bring it to good use for my swimming as well. I’m an adult onset swimmer and also not a very good one (70.3 swim PB of 37 min).

Now swimming in this Endless pool my stroke feels very different from the pool. In order to remain stationary and to not sink to the bottom of the pool I need to kick way more and reduce my stroke rate. Otherwise I will just zig-zag through the counter-current and not be able to have a constant swim…

So, what are your experiences? Does your stroke also feel different? Were you able to adjust it and remain stationary and have enjoyable swim sets? Were you able to transfer increased fitness into open water? Or is an Endless pool stroke artificial and I need to continue to swim in a regular pool as well?

Thanks for chiming in!!
Uli

It did not seem to help Joe Skipper a lot ! (though he never used it a lot by his own admission)

Possibly starting with an easy speed, a pull buoy and a frontal snorkel could help to get accustomised to it. Then you can quit the aids and increase the speed

yep, I saw his review video. Obviously, Pros don’t have time to go for the second best option and waste their effort in an artificial pool. I am under no illusion that swimming in a proper pool would be best, but I can now hop into this thing any time and it takes me 2 minutes to get into and maybe 7 min to get out of it, vs. 25 min x2 to get into and out of a public pool…

but I can now hop into this thing any time and it takes me 2 minutes to get into and maybe 7 min to get out of it, vs. 25 min x2 to get into and out of a public pool…

I don’t even do tri anymore or really swim at all. But, this is the main reason that I’ve considered getting one. I’ve got no desire to “train” but would love to easily be able to jump into an OUTDOOR pool on may own schedule (not around gym hours, or masters workout, etc.) for a 20-30 min swim a few times per week. The rest of the time it be to just relax.

Similarly, love doing weights but hated going to the gym. Best decision I’ve made recently was to get a Tonal. Super simple to just go upstairs for a quick workout. I’m much more consistent with it than a gym.

The reason why your legs ‘sink’ more is due to the fact that the current goes back to where it came -in front of you- over the bottom of the pool. So it sort of make u-turn at the bottom.
What really helps is first do a buoyance short and pull buoy and focus on your arms and breathing with a snorkel.

From there loose the buoyance short as you will get stronger and just use the pull buoy. A cool thing is getting the endlesspool mirror on the bottom and in front of you to see your stroke.

I use the Sonr Music thing to have some music while swimming which helps to pass the time. It is different but helped my swimming.

Jeroen

I recently completed my endless recently too. I too was having the same issues with my legs as you and went straight to the swim shorts and have been using them every time I get in the pool. Finding the sweet spot speed to the second/100 has been the tipping point to what feels more natural to swim and not adjusting to the current that tends to zig zag me more.

The biggest difference I find with the stroke is the initial phase of the catch I find you can or seem to just react to the pace of the water more and not so much feel the pull on your your shoulder. Same as running on a treadmill kind of just adjusting to the speed. That said it still works the stroke hard.

I am coming off head butting a car on my bike so dealing with a sustained head trauma so I have just been trying to get in the pool and swim 30min easy at my sweet spot pace. I still plan to get to the pool for key sessions and I’m about a 2min walk to the ocean so will do my long swims there. I just love the fact I can step off my patio and swim every day.

Best pic I have on my iPad when I was just filling it…

IMG_2168.jpeg

Your experience is just like most everyone. I did a couple years in one and it made me faster overall, as it helped with my kick, timing, and core. I did find however that my pull got weaker, so I made a point to get to still water at least a couple times a month. That usually sorted out my arms, did most of it pulling…

Never used the aids in the EP, think probably better to just adapt your stroke to handle it. You may have to slow the speed down at first though, but that’s ok too. In AOS folks like you, forcing you to kick more and efficiently is like a great drill, only you get to swim it too!!!

The reason why your legs ‘sink’ more is due to the fact that the current goes back to where it came -in front of you- over the bottom of the pool. So it sort of make u-turn at the bottom.
What really helps is first do a buoyance short and pull buoy and focus on your arms and breathing with a snorkel.

From there loose the buoyance short as you will get stronger and just use the pull buoy. A cool thing is getting the endlesspool mirror on the bottom and in front of you to see your stroke.

I use the Sonr Music thing to have some music while swimming which helps to pass the time. It is different but helped my swimming.

Jeroen

thanks for pointing that out…makes total sense. In a way the pool might even help me to fix my sinking legs problem then… :wink:

very nice!! Good luck with your pool, and of course even more for your recovery!!

Your experience is just like most everyone. I did a couple years in one and it made me faster overall, as it helped with my kick, timing, and core. I did find however that my pull got weaker, so I made a point to get to still water at least a couple times a month. That usually sorted out my arms, did most of it pulling…

Never used the aids in the EP, think probably better to just adapt your stroke to handle it. You may have to slow the speed down at first though, but that’s ok too. In AOS folks like you, forcing you to kick more and efficiently is like a great drill, only you get to swim it too!!!

Thanks for chiming in!! Its reassuring to hear that it is possible to have good training in an endless pool… The pool definitely forces me to kick more - so I totally agree, it could help me to improve my kick. My next race will be in September let’s see if I will be looking forward to the swim by then