Endless Pool owners: new vs "used"?

I’m sold on the idea of getting and Endless Pool and am in the planning stages of the install (partially in ground in my side yard). Pretty excited. So I looked on Craigslist and unexpectedly found someone selling a pool that fits what I want that is uninstalled, so unused in that regard, but wouldn’t come straight from EP and my concern is post purchase customer support. This is a big purchase and while it seems like a no brainer to save a few grand I know I will need their support for custom parts I want, possibly installation advice, etc.

So my question is, if you own an EP, how much do you rely on them and would you be concerned about the support you’d get if you didn’t buy your pool new. Any advice appreciated.

Not sure how close you are to PA, but one option would be to have EPS - their installation service - install the used pool for you. Check the vintage of the used pool; they upgraded electronics and filter components over the years. Be sure parts are still available for the older unit and might prefer the digital aspects of newer pool heater/filter/pump.

As far as customer service, I found ‘salesmen’ were happy to talk with you until the check cleared and then I felt a bit on my own. Even when the installer left early - and left me with a pile of trash and leaky pipe, I had trouble getting service on the phone. It’s been a couple years since I installed so your experience may be better. I provided lots of ‘constructive feedback,’ but not sure what may have changed.

Good luck and show us your pool when finished.

I don’t own an endless pool but have been researching for the past two years. I desperately want one, and if I pull the trigger it will be an above ground, perhaps even the version which is temporary so that I can move it into the garage during the winter.

Here is what I have learned from researching and reading/speaking with other customers about their experiences:
Endless Pools customer service is less than ideal and can be downright horrific for the amount of money you have spent on the pool. However, in most cases the purchasers that complained about customer service had an issue due to installation (read #3 below)
Check references on your installer. Spoke with several purchasers who had gone with the installer recommended by endless pools only to find out the installer had minimal experience and the pool was installed wrong. So check with endless pools, get references from the installer, etcEndless pools is pretty much done, once you have purchased the pool. They won’t care if your install goes badly or if there are leaks due to the install. Remember, they are selling a product, not the installation. So be prepared to oversee and challenge the installer.The installation costs are typically 15% more than most budgeted A significant amount of power is needed to operate the pool. Make sure your installer locates an outlet with the correct amperage on a dedicated run near the poolCommon mistake for inground and partially inground pools was that installer did not build in a drain pipe or that the drain did not flow outside of the house
Once again, this is based upon my research and i’m certain that for all the bad experiences there are plenty more great experiences. I have swam in a endless pool several times and absolutely love the experience.

Have fun with your new toy!

Very helpful information. Thanks! Given the consistent feedback about lack of service post-install it seems saving money on the actual product by going after market may be a no-brainer. Once I get a list of installers I’ll be able to get started down that path. Something I’ll need to decide on is whether the pool installer can also do the construction part of the project (excavation, concrete, post-install surrounding design). I’d love a one-stop shop but won’t compromise on the construction component to get that.

I did buy a “used” Endless Pool - a 2002 model for $5000. It was only assembled up to the coping but no liner and no plumbing. We unbolted the panels and hauled everything to a storage unit - the rest was still in the boxes. I did send an email to EP to find out what kind of support I could get. They informed me I would have to purchase $2000 worth of replacement equipment, which I did not do. I thought I would test the pump/filter and propeller and any other equipment first. I bought it last year but I have nearly decided to go ahead with it - the hold up has been my spouse and deciding jointly where to put it. But it is too darn hot to not have something cool to dip into. And I need the excercise. I am planning to use a general contractor whom I trust. I gave him the planning videos that came with it and he did get in contact with a pool engineer who provided him with extra information. That was all last year since we couldn’t get on his list last year earlier than November. But, we shall see.

I have to say I agree with most of the replies. I actually purchased a brand new “original endless pool”. You would not believe how poorly the quality control process is. There were multiple parts missing from the shipment. When I called the customer service, they tend to give me the run around. One customer servvice guy was down right rude. I was missing all the hardwares for the benches and water return channel, and the customer service guy said-" that’s no big deal, we will send some out in 3-5 business days". So I asked him how it would make him feel if you purchased a 20,000 car and you find out the steering wheel is missing? His response was, " it’s just some hardware, it’s not the end of the world" and he hung up. As the installation process progressed, I found missing parts a few more times. It left a terrible impress on me.

What state do you live in? I am a well experienced Endless Pool installer.

I used to work there years ago. It’s not a complicated system and any pool company can supply you with the parts. I installed my own and have installed many of them. Not hard to do yourself and there are installers around the country that can help you. Only issue buying used is the liner. You will need to order a new one. All the other parts should be fine. Hope that helps.

I’m in Northern CA but the pool is now already installed and running smoothly. Thanks

Hi, I am looking for an endless pool installer (LA area). Please contact me if you can help out.Thanks

We are in Spokane Washington and are looking for an Endless Pool experienced technician as we are going to sell our Endless Pool. It looks like it might be quite a project to disassemble it and want experienced hands on it.

I know this is an old question - but I have a few comments that might be useful for some. When considering a used Endless pool, there are definitely some good and bad to factor in:

• You absolutely need to buy a new install kit from Endless pool which would cost about $1800-$2000 (2016 price). I think this includes their “ownership transfer fee” which is their requirement before they help you in any way. So factor this in the price.
  • The older models have a filtering/heating system (Pentair) which requires more space, louder, 220V power requirement, the newer models have a very compact heater filtering system (Gecko) which is much much smaller, almost no audible sound, and can share the 220V power from the power unit (motor). NOTE: The older models can be retrofitted with this new filtering/heating system.
  • Newer models have a remote control control system, older models don’t. This is a HUGE difference being able to control the current speed via remote control. NOTE: You can update certain models with a remote control system
  • This last one I can think of is a big plus for the older models. Older models have a stainless steel housing (everything is stainless steel), this was replaced with plastic on the new models. I absolutely don’t like the plastic replacement they have now, it makes the pool look dark. The shiny stainless steel makes the pool look brighter and luxurious. This is a big factor for me especially since you can retrofit older models with all the other new options.

I had bought an old model for $5000, but the previous owner already had the installation kit, a new motor, propeller, and new grills included. I ended up buying a power unit with remote control, the gecko heating/filtering system, pool lights, bullnose coping to hold the liner, hydraulic hoses, and oil. I think the total was around $7000 from Endless pool. So for around $12000, I essentially have a brand new Endless pool but with the stainless water flow housing that I preferred.

Another question I kept being asked is, do I use it a lot. Between me, wife and kids, it is used about 4-5 times a week. So yes, it’s used quite a bit and worth it. To be honest, I had it built indoors so that might be why it’s used more often and kept at 85 degrees (I had an extension built with the Endless pool inground - that’s another crazy experience). I hope this helps somebody else considering getting an Endless pool. The location of the pool is absolutely essential.

Hello ibaralf, Thanks for all the good info you provided with regards to getting a used Endless Pool. I am considering buying one that is currently installed in a partially below ground install in a recently resold home. The new homeowner is amenable to assisting in disassembly so the buyer can see how it was put together so as to assist in reassembly. When you used the terms older and newer in your advice, what year(s) were you thinking of? The pool I am interested in is a 2008 Original Model. It is shown in photos with two blue keychain size remote controls. They look like the kind of thing of locking a car door. Would that qualify as a newer model? Thanks so much.

Hi,

First, I am definitely not an expert on Endless pools, and since older models can be retrofitted with newer parts, it is really difficult to determine what you have. Mine was a 2004 model (I think). Here are some things to look at
Older Models (Original)

• Bench and propeller housing are 100% stainless steel (basically everything that is INSIDE the pool area)
  • No remote control, wave speed controlled by a manual valve
  • Water heater and filtering system are really big (very similar to a full size pool), located outside away from the pool

Newer Models

• Bench and propeller housing mostly made of plastic and some stainless
  • Wave speed has the option to be controlled with a remote (THIS IS AN OPTION)
  • Water heater and filtering system is one compact unit that can attach to the front of the pool.
  • Actual water filter is inside the pool, on the side of the propeller housing

For your question, I am not sure when they started using plastic for the bench and having the compact heater/filtering system. I suggest you go over and check what they have, but definitely the blue remotes are for the wave control (which is great). Remember that they would charge you $1000 just to transfer ownership plus you need to replace the liner (it gets broken when you disassemble, guaranteed).

NOTE: One more thing to consider: your electric bill will go up A LOT. Previously my electric bill was not more than $250/month. I am averaging about $500 per month now (California PG&E rates). Because of this, I am looking into solar panels because the pool heater would easily put you in the tier 3 electric cost. I have the pool temp set at 85 degrees, which is almost perfect - slightly cold when you get in. My wife and kids wants me to bump it up to 87 degrees but I’ve held off until we have solar.

You sell your endless pool? I’m looking for one

I have an Endless Pool Fastlane for sale (can fit into any outdoor pool) if anyone is interested.

I had it built indoors so that might be why it’s used more often and kept at 85 degrees (I had an extension built with the Endless pool inground - that’s another crazy experience). I hope this helps somebody else considering getting an Endless pool. The location of the pool is absolutely essential.

ibaralf, I am looking to do the same. We are thinking of building a “pool room” addition to our house for an endless pool. Looking into either completely recessing or partially recessing it. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

I’m selling my High Performance EP too: https://ipresenttoyou.com/l/endlesspooloffer