Endless Pool and Training

I see a lot of people ask about how training in an Endless pool is and is it worth it.

I got an Endless pool to do one on one stroke work with athletes and for that purpose it is fantastic. It provides a lot of feedback from the current, to the mirrors to the ability to take and analyze a lot of video quickly.

I also tried to train in the Endless pool exclusively. For a few years, I trained in it exclusively. The first time I got back into a pool I realized immediately something had changed in my stroke and it wasn’t a beneficial change.

Once I got the swim sensors from EO Lab I was able to quantify the change and what the Endless pool was doing to my stroke.

I put this video together to show the changes. If there are any questions, please let me know.

EP Video

1 Like

Thanks for the video! I’m over an hour from the nearest lap pool, so I was lucky to grab a drop in the endless pool secondhand. Do you have any training tips, such as how to convert the traditional X laps, X speed, and rest to endless pool time?

My best advice would be limit the amount of training you do with it. Ideally, you’d want the drop in to be a supplement to your pool training and not the other way around.

There really isn’t any conversion. You need to start to look at from a time/pace perspective. The interval work then becomes based on 30 seconds on at x pace with 30 seconds of rest. Repeat over and over - as an example. But the biggest thing is variety.

I hope this helps,

Tim

1 Like

I get in open water swims during the summertime.; but most will be in the endless. Thanks for the conversion help.

1 Like