Dr. Alex Harrison: " The Man Behind the Mind"

Low in stevia but high on geek factor, a great conversation with Dr. A, Michelle Howe (the REAL brains behind the Saturday app, in Alex’s words), along with Dr. Elise (psychologist).

In the 44 minute show, we relate uncomfortable stories about gut distress, the history and endless revisions to the Saturday app, along with the usual “Captain Obvious” calibre questions that will leave some groaning and some enlightened.

Oh yeah, I also hawk that bike company from Oregon.

Listen now at www.fitspeek.com

Dr. Harrison is awesome!

i read the ST article on stevia… for FOP athletes yes it doesnt make sense. for MOP to BOP… many have weight to lose, so this trickery of the brain that it is receiving fuel is ideal

i read the ST article on stevia… for FOP athletes yes it doesnt make sense. for MOP to BOP… many have weight to lose, so this trickery of the brain that it is receiving fuel is ideal

Not when you actually need it
While training and racing.

long term benefit of weightloss out does short term benefit of one day race performance,

long term benefit of weightloss out does short term benefit of one day race performance,
Reducing kcal during training doesn’t result in weight loss though. Often the opposite, in practice. Reason: hypoglycemia is a strong stimulant of long-duration overshot hunger.

you could have stated that much better. reduced k-cal in training does lead to weight loss. Do you weigh heavier after training with no water or nutrition intake??? What you could have said, is the likelihood of over-eating to compensate for this loss after training is high

With as much respect as I can muster, you are my least favorite person on this forum to interact with because you are incredibly rude, at least by my perception, and sometimes obstinate in your ideas which are often wrong and wholly refuted before you by various SME’s.

You are so characteristic in your manner of hostile response, absent concern for either the person or for consideration of their intent, or how that intent came to be present in their mind, that I groaned to myself “ughh am I talking to synthetic again” when I read your response. I hadn’t seen your screen name yet. (I don’t normally check screen name unless I’m curious, and I just attend to ideas, info, and tone/language presented). That indicated, to me, that you are distinct, even among the strong opinions and contrarianism on this forum. It is for that reason I’ve decided to mention it here, for your sake and mostly for others.

So, I guess that makes us even because I suppose you could have stated what you said much better too.

I don’t intend to patronize but if my tone comes off that way, I am sorry. Indeed I’m put off by your response, amidst all the other responses I’ve read from you over the years. And I’m sorry for the public address. I figure it is better this way so that if I’m overreacting, I too can be called out.

Here, I’ll rephrase mine with the addition of one word for explicit clarification:

“Reducing kcal during training doesn’t result in weight loss, chronically, though. Often the opposite, in practice. Reason: hypoglycemia is a strong stimulant of long-duration overshot hunger.”

And while I’m here, I’ll add that yes, there are corner cases where it can, chronically but they are outlier and also become conscious of other nutrition factors around the clock. In terms of population averages reduction of intra-workout fueling does more harm than help in the effort of weight management and/or loss. My sample size is large here, and duration of study very long. Before founding my present company my primary job for almost a decade was helping athletes modify their weight and body composition. (n≅1500)

I’ll ask that, regarding the post that you’re claiming I could have stated much better, you please forgive me for my brevity and use of implication for the sake of readability. I may fail here again in the future and would appreciate a much more polite and empathic call-out if, in my interest of time saving, or readability, or conciseness, or sheer lack of writing skill, a message is unclear. Of course, you owe me no such thing, but I just thought I’d state my desire because I’m guessing that most users of this forum who have experienced your harshness and unwavering opinions would prefer the same from you.

I intend to engage in no further discussion with you about fueling and weight loss because of my past experiences reading your approach on various topics including this one. I look forward to engaging with you again on another thread.

Respectfully, albeit a little bothered,
Alex

Wholeheartedly seconded. I may not post much but I read enough that I can spot synthetic from tone.

Well said

You pretty much speak for me and many many others

Needed to be said

It is important those in Alex’s situation carefully word things correctly, or even correct themselves as they after, which I am appreciating here. Many out there take a statement an ‘expert’ makes and use it as a free for all excuse to continue something they are doing which is harming themselves - or not seeing results. Now a days, people can find a study to confirm their bias on both ends the argument. FYI, I used to obese myself

I appreciate that response a great deal. Thank you for taking the time to explain in the way that you did.

most people on here need a good spank every now and then. i mostly come on here to spank and be spanked.

It is important those in Alex’s situation carefully word things correctly, or even correct themselves as they after, which I am appreciating here. Many out there take a statement an ‘expert’ makes and use it as a free for all excuse to continue something they are doing which is harming themselves - or not seeing results. Now a days, people can find a study to confirm their bias on both ends the argument. FYI, I used to obese myself

You forgot the apology for being snarky and, typical-for-you, unhelpful

You forgot the apology for being snarky and, typical-for-you, unhelpful

anybody spending more than a month on this forum has that figured out that synthetic has taken over from ho2fun to be the awkward guy and like the stro pro hardly ever has something constructive to say as most of the time they add some insult which is totally predictable. i guess its best not to engage with synthetic

What happened to Dave?

I had forgotten about the wildness emanating from h2ofun. Powercranks!

He got banned.

How does one get banned?

Y’all should make that a thread.

It would likely drive “engagement” through the roof.

Watch, I’ll do it now and in 2 days it will have 500 view and 50 responses.

How does one get banned?

stick around long enough you’ll figure it out