Does Israel have any option but a ground War?

Keeping in Mind that Gaza just committed an act of war 20 times larger than our 9/11 in terms of percent of population. And the perpetrator can continue doing this

If Israel wants to eliminate further Hamas attacks don’t they have to go into Gaza and destroy the military capabilities?

Given we are talking about a small area, 25 miles long and on average less than 6 miles wide. 140 square miles. And a population of 2,000,000 with Hamas hidden among the civilians, how can they stop the violence without a sweep. Hamas has designed the city with 300 miles of military tunnels. Putting military in all the civilian areas. It would seem all of those tunnels need to be destroyed. I am wondering how much of the city can be saved with the goal of stopping the violence against Israel.

I don’t see how Hamas can be allowed to exist any longer as a political entity, and a ground war seems like the only way to eliminate them.

Keeping in Mind that Gaza just committed an act of war 20 times larger than our 9/11 in terms of percent of population. And the perpetrator can continue doing this

If Israel wants to eliminate further Hamas attacks don’t they have to go into Gaza and destroy the military capabilities?

Given we are talking about a small area, 25 miles long and on average less than 6 miles wide. 140 square miles. And a population of 2,000,000 with Hamas hidden among the civilians, how can they stop the violence without a sweep. Hamas has designed the city with 300 miles of military tunnels. Putting military in all the civilian areas. It would seem all of those tunnels need to be destroyed. I am wondering how much of the city can be saved with the goal of stopping the violence against Israel.

there are two threads going that cover this

there are two threads going that cover this

He’s asking a different question that might get lost in the weeds in those threads.

In my opinion there was never any other option,. Hamas must be eradicated and bombing just kills innocent civilians, I’ve never understood why they never went in and cleaned house, maybe I’m wrong but wouldn’t ground forces save a lot of innocent lives?

Thermobaric weapons

The problem is that they have tried. Many times they have tried. It didn’t work before and it won’t work this time.

They might be able to stop the rocket attacks for a while and they may collapse a few tunnels and kill or capture a few militants. But in the end Hamas will just sprout up from the ground and they will have a whole new generation of recruits with personal vendettas.

There are no good options for the Israelis.

NO other option.

In my opinion there was never any other option,. Hamas must be eradicated and bombing just kills innocent civilians, I’ve never understood why they never went in and cleaned house, maybe I’m wrong but wouldn’t ground forces save a lot of innocent lives?

I think arguably it will cost many innocent lives (if you consider the IDF soldiers who have to perform the ground war innocent). So from an Israel view is it worse to lose the life of Palestinian civilian or IDF Soldier. That is the calculation. If they feel it is better to have dead Palestinian citizens then raze Gaza with bombs. If not, then they have to put the lives of IDF soldiers at risk.

I think the other option is a prolonged siege. Cut off all water, gas and electricity. Tell the Palestinians it is Hamas or them. Turn on Hamas or suffer.

I am not advocating this but it is the other option? Both options suck.

Hamas is basically an ISIS clone right now and one cannot tolerate that on your border if they are going to cross it.

I think the other option is a prolonged siege. Cut off all water, gas and electricity. Tell the Palestinians it is Hamas or them. Turn on Hamas or suffer.

Hamas is basically an ISIS clone right now and one cannot tolerate that on your border if they are going to cross it.

OK. How do you tell a Palestinian who supports Hamas from one who doesn’t?

A ground war isn’t very effective when the opponent won’t meet you on the field of battle and instead chooses to walk away until they return another day.

Urban warfare is quite the slog, Israel may not have the stomach to see it through. A ground war with Israel may be Hamas’s long game plan all along.

A ground war with Israel may be Hamas’s long game plan all along.

Yeah, I can’t see any other motivation for the sheer barbarism of the massacres other than to bait Israel into house-to-house warfare full of booby traps, mines, tunnels…

While Israel (and the West) may have discussions re war crimes and human tragedies, Hamas (and Jihadists) don’t concern themselves with such.

While Israel (and the West) may have discussions re war crimes and human tragedies, Hamas (and Jihadists) don’t concern themselves with such.

True. The question (ethically speaking) is whether or not Hamas’ disregard for war crimes and human tragedies absolves Israel of their obligation to continue to consider those factors.

Morally, the pretty clear answer is, no it does not.

Militarily, Hamas’ lack of restraints needs to be carefully considered by the planners who are figuring out how to fight in that congested and dense terrain.

No one has mentioned that Gaza residents could evacuate as Israel has warned them. UN and Palestinian leaders say people can’t move that quickly. I am sure some can’t that are in hospitals, have some major health issues, or are very old, bub most people could walk 10 miles at a strolling rate of 2 mph in 5 hours. So if they wanted they could move out of harms way. They may have no place ready to accept them but they could move to the southern half of gaza. They are not going to have any services in the war zone so relocating to the south would be better than staying in place. Hamas asked them to not leave, many are leaving.

Thermobaric weapons

would you use these in civilian areas? I think the backlash would be severe.

OK. How do you tell a Palestinian who supports Hamas from one who doesn’t?

A ground war isn’t very effective when the opponent won’t meet you on the field of battle and instead chooses to walk away until they return another day.

I would think Israel may have informants who have provided long lists of Hamas members to round up. Or as they go through areas the collect the intel to find them.

No one has mentioned that Gaza residents could evacuate as Israel has warned them.

Discussed extensively in other threads.

A ground war with Israel may be Hamas’s long game plan all along.

Yeah, I can’t see any other motivation for the sheer barbarism of the massacres other than to bait Israel into house-to-house warfare full of booby traps, mines, tunnels…

What you are saying Hamas has purposely killed so many in a way to provoke a major response. Knowing they have set up their civilians to die and perhaps generate world support for Palestinians in the aftermath. And if that doesn’t work they have generated another generation who are willing to die for Hamas.

That may be true, but is very sick.