Do you stock up on running shoes?

What are your favorite running shoe models - how many pairs do you have?

If there’s a trainer I really like, I will double / triple up on it - but only if its discounted.

Currently a fanboi of the New Balance Fuel Cell SuperComp Traner v1 - this shoe is magic and certainly earnings its keep. Took a plunge in summer of 2022 and got it full retail. Still milking the original pair and have since stocked up on discounted pairs as the v2’s were released.

I do, when I see a great deal. I also got a second pair of trainer/racers that Brooks (in its typical fashion) was discontinuing to replace it with something inferior.

I tend to buy 4 pairs at a time.

I got caught out way too many times with 2+ month waits for my size/shoe just ahead of my early March A race. So now I buy in bulk and reorder when I get to the 3rd pair. My local running shop does me a good deal as it means they don’t need to stress about holding stock.

(I’m a US13.5 Wide fit and run in Saucony Omnis for last 5-6 years).

I do. Amazon had a Black Friday sale last year on the Saucony Pro 3 for $97 and I bought the lot of 13 pairs. Rotating through 3 pairs currently and storing 10.

I do the opposite of stocking up on a single model.

When one of the pairs in my training rotation is reaching the end of the line, I keep an eye out for a sale at my local run specialty store. Then, I go buy whatever make/model of stability trainer that is in my size. There’s usually 2 or 3 models to choose from at that point, so I will try them on and pick from there.

There are enough great shoes out there that it’s becoming less of a thing at least with the athletes I help fit in shoes. If you have a good local running shop they’ll have minimal 30 sku’s on the wall and up to 80. 'd say most of the solid to great run shops I’ve been in across the US average between 55-60 SKU’s on the wall.

I was never one to stock up on a single model but I was one to stock up, often with 8-10 pair in rotation and usually never more than 2 of the same model. A shoe had to be really efffing good to get to stock up status.

I may just be more of a shoe dater though.

A shoe had to be really efffing good to get to stock up status.

I’ve been stocking up on Nike Zoom Fly 3s and Zoom Fly 4s. The Zoom Fly 3s dipped in price for a bit and now they are higher priced than the Zoom Fly 4. So I shifted to buying Zoom Fly 4s and really like the “Barely Volt” color. I have two in that color and the other two pairs are orange. I heard the Zoom Fly 5 were bulky and sucked, so have kept buying Zoom Fly 4s. I really like the loops on the front and the back.

I don’t go to my local running store. I have been once or twice to get gels, but they haven’t had any shoes I like. Also, I’d rather get it shipped to my front door than driving around searching for shoe models at stores.

I do. Amazon had a Black Friday sale last year on the Saucony Pro 3 for $97 and I bought the lot of 13 pairs. Rotating through 3 pairs currently and storing 10.

This is impressive, I like it.

I usually have 3-4 bids going per month on StockX. Have bought maybe 20 pairs of shoes through there. Delivery straight to door.

Yep, Endorphin Speed 2 and Air Zoom Tempo Next %. Finally exhausted my stockpile of Speed 2 and bought a pair of 3’s 25% off on BF.

Yep, Endorphin Speed 2 and Air Zoom Tempo Next %. Finally exhausted my stockpile of Speed 2 and bought a pair of 3’s 25% off on BF.

Yes, I do if I really like a model.
The Tempo Next was with more than 50 % discount on the Nike website last new year so I bought 2 more pairs.
The asics outlet had 30 % off some months ago and if you bought 2 pairs you would get a 3rd pair free so I bought 2 Noosa 14 and a Novablast 3.

Too many to count (my wife believes I need intervention). Wondering if the current foam technology allows for less degradation over time. Had two pairs of NB 1500 which were a top shoe in the day. Pull the second pair out of the box after a year and the mid soles had completely deteriorated.

I have 14 boxes of new Hoka Clifton 1, Size 11 in my closet… I’m down from about 21 pair. So I guess the answer is yes :-O.

Too many to count (my wife believes I need intervention). Wondering if the current foam technology allows for less degradation over time. Had two pairs of NB 1500 which were a top shoe in the day. Pull the second pair out of the box after a year and the mid soles had completely deteriorated.

Wow that is devastating. I fear sole deterioration for shoes kept in storage.

i am unfortunately both kind of particular and a total cheapskate. for several years now i’ve been a saucony guy: kinvara on the road and peregrine on the trail. whenever they’re on sale i happily stock up and will keep 1 or 2 in reserve. if the ‘winter’ versions (waterproofs) are available i’ll stick them in the basement til the snow falls.

on the other hand: i haven’t run in nikes in 20 years, but recently a shop near me was closing out the vaporfly next %s for 75 bucks. at that rate i figured it was worth a gamble, so now i have a pair of them for racing in too!

I don’t go to my local running store. I have been once or twice to get gels, but they haven’t had any shoes I like. Also, I’d rather get it shipped to my front door than driving around searching for shoe models at stores.

Going to the LRS is the only way to try on 5-10 pair at once, compare them to each other and find the shoe that really works for you. Ordering online you’re going to maybe order 3-4 models at most plus you’re not getting expert recommendations based on the fitters vast knowledge.

Just recently I had a XXXX sponsored runner in who was looking for a training shoe, this brand allows their runners to wear other brands when training solo, not doing publicity/IG/going to races etc. Wanted to try a Hoka again. Liked the Mach X so I brought out a few other shoes to try based on what they said about their current XXXX models and the Hoka, they left in the Kinvara Pro.

That’s hard to do ordering online.

I get it’s easy to order online, yet I can tell you you’re missing a ton of shoes that are potentially going to feel and run better than the Zoom Flys

Alphafly 2 is not as good as Alphafly 1, so people have been stocking up Alphafly 1. Alphafly 3 is coming out soon, so that might change. I do have some AF1 stashed in my collection.

I bought 10 pair of discounted Nike Pegasus trail shoes during 2020. It was my binge purchase during the pandemic. I have 2 fresh pair left.

Holy crap!
How much was that bill? What type of discount did you get?