Do you marinate your soda/pop?

I’m going to have me some really great Diet Pepsi when I eventually drink them.

Is this Gen Z generation really this stupid?

https://nypost.com/2023/12/16/lifestyle/new-marinating-diet-coke-trend-stuns-tiktok-users/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&sr_share=facebook&utm_campaign=nypost&fbclid=IwAR1bmoJaftuCVIC_pYIxZZFaRvyNXuYtKjz-atEwhXXpRynBMFrOdRdIrEE_aem_AQM2KRue0B1SUbhUf11zoXLzO057roki051A-HfIGHliYjcWq3Nmzwf5Bpsy2zOEyX4

Yes, yes, they really are this stupid.

No, this is not “marinating.” It’s just putting your soda pop cans in the fridge to get cold.

I hate social media.

I weep for the future of our species.

I weep for the future of our species.

This

Yes, yes, they really are this stupid.

No, this is not “marinating.” It’s just putting your soda pop cans in the fridge to get cold.

This

My wife has said for years that McDonald’s has the best Diet Coke. Turns out there’s something to it. They’re the only restaurant who stores their syrup cold; they own exclusive rights to this contract, apparently. Coca-Cola ships it cold and McDonald’s keeps it cold throughout. I don’t know about the difference between a newly chilled can versus a two week chilled can, but I wouldn’t discount it entirely.

“She noted how five days is an even better time to let the soda sit in the fridge. “Over a week is phenomenal and two weeks-plus, we’re talking a really crispy Coke,” she said.”

It’s entirely possible, also, that she’s insane.

My wife has said for years that McDonald’s has the best Diet Coke. Turns out there’s something to it. They’re the only restaurant who stores their syrup cold; they own exclusive rights to this contract, apparently. Coca-Cola ships it cold and McDonald’s keeps it cold throughout. I don’t know about the difference between a newly chilled can versus a two week chilled can, but I wouldn’t discount it entirely.

“She noted how five days is an even better time to let the soda sit in the fridge. “Over a week is phenomenal and two weeks-plus, we’re talking a really crispy Coke,” she said.”

I’m gonna go ahead and discount it entirely. Putting your pop in the fridge is not some new innovative idea.

I had to check the date of the article to make sure it wasn’t April 1.

https://nypost.com/...Wq3Nmzwf5Bpsy2zOEyX4

This thread has a real, “old man yells at crowd” vibe.

It seems a bit much. Social media where everything is a life hack and just amazingly, super duper, awesome!

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go take my morning cold plunge.

It seems a bit much. Social media where everything is a life hack and just amazingly, super duper, awesome!

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go take my morning cold plunge.

Sure it’s a bit much, but lots of people have opinions about things that I think are nonsense. I doubt this is at all wide spread and I’m sure in 2 months everyone will have forgotten about it. This is just the NYP pandering to their stodgy old audience.

The McDonalds bit is true, better tasting, not sure about the delivered cold syrup. Years ago I had neighbor who worked for Coke, took care of most of the restaurants in Yuma AZ. He mentioned more than once McD’s mixes there’s a little rich, but wasn’t allowed to tell us the ratio. Most restaurants just let the delivery person set ratio, but McD’s did their own.

https://youtu.be/WXgx7Uzislo?si=KSa7dVp9Toi5F6Vm

I had to check the date of the article to make sure it wasn’t April 1.

Regardless of the date, I am now really hoping this was a stunt to purposely look stupid to make the video go viral.

The McDonalds bit is true, better tasting, not sure about the delivered cold syrup. Years ago I had neighbor who worked for Coke, took care of most of the restaurants in Yuma AZ. He mentioned more than once McD’s mixes there’s a little rich, but wasn’t allowed to tell us the ratio. Most restaurants just let the delivery person set ratio, but McD’s did their own.
At one time I did some work with a Pepsi distributor and they confided in me that Pepsi has different formulations for different regions. Some are a bit more sweet than others etc. The base formulation is the same but the sweetness and possibly the acidity is slightly different due to regional taste preferences. Also it is possible that the concentrate can be negatively affected by temperature and keeping it cold would improve or maintain the overall flavour profile. There are a number of chemicals in Coke that may interact negatively if exposed to the temperatures that may occur in the back of a transfer truck. It is not uncommon for a non refrigerated truck box to reach 40 deg celcius. That is not good for most food products.

What-did-I-just-read?

How do people come up with stuff like that?

Also, isn’t that just how you make flat coke?

I’m not sure about modern machines, but back in the 90s anyone that worked in a restaurant could check and adjust the ratio. There was no secret about it.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/W/MEDIAX_792452-T2/images/I/71QdeOX273L._SL1500_.jpg

What-did-I-just-read?

I think they’re just saying you leave it in the fridge for awhile unopened.

There are a few reasons for McDonalds soda tasting better. The vats they get the syrup in, the temps they keep the syrup, water, feed lines, etc. The filtered water they use. The amount of syrup they use (they use slightly more to accommodate melting ice).

The temp thing seems to allow them to maintain higher carbonation while they mix the ingredients. That wouldn’t seem to be pertinent in cans of pop that are already carbonated from the bottling plant. You’re not gaining any carbonation by putting your can in the frdige.

What-did-I-just-read?

I think they’re just saying you leave it in the fridge for awhile unopened.

I also thought it was about leaving an opened can in the fridge for awhile.

Then realized it’s just leaving it in the fridge. However the info about adding lemon or lime stuff is a positive.

I’m a regular coke guy, and will sometimes ask the restaurant to add a lemon thing to my coke. But sometimes when they grab the empty cup to bring back a refill, the lemon wedge seems to indicate I had a Diet Coke… and I get a Diet Coke back instead. Blechh.