Do I need to pay for a seat to avoid getting tossed off my overbooked flight?

I paid an outrageous amount of money for a non-stop flight this weekend (the only non-stop option to this city)

I checked in and it’s oversold and I am offered three alternatives that are all connecting flights taking 5 hours longer. I declined.

I am wanting to die on the hill of I paid an outrageous amount of money I should not have to pay for a seat too.

But I now have a boarding pass that says see gate agent instead of giving me a seat on an obviously oversold flight.

Do I need to pay for a seat to avoid getting tossed off the 3 hour flight an onto an 8 hour one the next day?

I paid an outrageous amount of money for a non-stop flight this weekend (the only non-stop option to this city)

I checked in and it’s oversold and I am offered three alternatives that are all connecting flights taking 5 hours longer. I declined.

I am wanting to die on the hill of I paid an outrageous amount of money I should not have to pay for a seat too.

But I now have a boarding pass that says see gate agent instead of giving me a seat on an obviously oversold flight.

Do I need to pay for a seat to avoid getting tossed off the 3 hour flight an onto an 8 hour one the next day?

No. If they want to boot you off the flight they have to pay you an outrageous amount of money. Here are the new rules

Bumping & Oversales | US Department of Transportation

Personally, I think it depends on the fee.

If it’s $50 then it’s an easy decision. You’re saving 5 hours in the air and all the annoyance that comes with it.

If it’s $500 then you have to decide what your time is worth.

We have a toll road here and I always do the math and see what it will cost vs. what I save to make the decision if I’ll take it or not. I’m not paying $20 to save 8 minutes, but I did use it and pay $60 to save 90 minutes once. What’s your time worth?

I’m confused by your question…what was the outrageous money for if not a seat?

That’s my question. I paid $750 and it will not let me have a seat without seeing gate agent at the airport unless I shell out $30 more one way. There are no options for a seat included in my $750 ticket.

That’s my question. I paid $750 and it will not let me have a seat without seeing gate agent at the airport unless I shell out $30 more one way. There are no options for a seat included in my $750 ticket.

Well one I’d pay the 30 bucks and two I’d be pissed off. What airline is it?

So they’re saying, since you didn’t buy a seat with, say more leg room, those are the only ones available so it will cost more. From my understanding, if you purchased a ticket and they don’t give you an available seat they will owe you I think 3X the cost of your ticket up to $1550. Nutella posted the rules. I’d let them know it will cost them a lot more than $30 if they don’t give you the ticket.

United. Last time we flew them we got to extend our trip by a day and a half due to not having enough flight attendants for the flight they scheduled and we paid for.

The prices keep going up for what seems like entering a lottery that might get you to the place you paid for at the time you paid for.

United. Last time we flew them we got to extend our trip by a day and a half due to not having enough flight attendants for the flight they scheduled and we paid for.

The prices keep going up for what seems like entering a lottery that might get you to the place you paid for at the time you paid for.

Unless you want the offer hold out. United will continue to increase the amount until someone bites. When they bump people they usually pick people based on the fare paid. Given you paid a high fare the likelihood of nobody taking the offer, and you getting bumped, is very low.

Based on the info you have given you are intitled to around $1550 in United credits if they bump you involuntarily.

Unless you want the offer hold out. United will continue to increase the amount until someone bites. When they bump people they usually pick people based on the fare paid. Given you paid a high fare the likelihood of nobody taking the offer, and you getting bumped, is very low.

Based on the info you have given you are intitled to around $1550 in United credits if they bump you involuntarily.

This.

If the flight goes as scheduled, you have a seat.

They could cancel the flight though, and then tell you that you are on a new flight.

That said, I have zero faith in United not trying to screw you. I pay extra for direct flights for my daughter from Newark to Madison WI all the time and half the time they bump her to a connecting flight via Chicago. If the original flight is still flying I call them and have a shouting match.

Yes, this. Not only does United not want to bump the higher-fare customers, but United tries hard these days not to bump people because a flight is oversold (flights switched to a smaller plane are a different matter). After the incident with Dr. Dao (sp?) United’s policy is to offer enough money to get people to voluntarily give up their seats.

Basic economy?

What is the fare code for your ticket?

“Outrageous” is relative.

It is also unclear what exactly happened:

1. Maybe you bought a basic economy ticket which never comes with seat selection. That’s just the deal with that fare class. The price may be high but that would not change the fact that a BE ticket does not come with advance seat selection. If that is what you bought, your choices are to wait and get whatever seat the gate agent gives you or pay up ($30?) to a higher fare class that comes with advance seat selection. Personally, I’d look at the seat map and if there is a decent seat you can get for $30, I’d grab it, and enjoy the peace of mind of knowing you’ve got a seat. The high original ticket price is a sunk cost, however much it offends you, and the extra $30 may have a positive marginal value.

2. Maybe you’re saying that you had a seat but that has been thrown into doubt because the flight is oversold. In that case, my prior post applies — in theory you should be ok, but we can’t promise United won’t screw you.

On United I’d pay the $30 for piece of mind. Pick a seat.

Basic economy?

Q - should be standard economy from my understanding.

Basic economy?

Q is a discounted economy fare so maybe it had some restrictions attached. It’s not basic economy though.

Basic economy?

Q is a discounted economy fare so maybe it had some restrictions attached. It’s not basic economy though.

It lets me choose a seat. There are just zero options that don’t add $$$. And it’s a 2x2 plane - so I’m not forced to buy one to avoid a middle seat.

Basic economy?

It lets me choose a seat. There are just zero options that don’t add $$$. And it’s a 2x2 plane - so I’m not forced to buy one to avoid a middle seat.

United is known for giving people the option to pay $ for something they don’t need to pay for, because some people will pay. If you’re ok with getting the worst seat on a 2-2 regional jet, then you should be safe declining their offer and taking whatever the gate agent gives you. I don’t understand why you were not offered seat selection when you bought the ticket, since fare class Q should allow that, but maybe it has to do with your having made the purchase very recently. ??

Instead of looking at the options from the email, have you tried going to your reservation through your mileage plus account and seeing if it offers seat selection?

This.

They could cancel the flight though, and then tell you that you are on a new flight.

That said, I have zero faith in United not trying to screw you. I pay extra for direct flights for my daughter from Newark to Madison WI all the time and half the time they bump her to a connecting flight via Chicago. If the original flight is still flying I call them and have a shouting match.

Any chance the daughter volunteers for the bump to take the credit or voucher offered?
I use to do this between mke and ord with some success. Usa shuttle runs a bus between ord and mke, i believe they also operate between mad and ord.

This.

Any chance the daughter volunteers for the bump to take the credit or voucher offered?
I use to do this between mke and ord with some success. Usa shuttle runs a bus between ord and mke, i believe they also operate between mad and ord.

This is not happening at the moment of travel. Rather, weeks or even months ahead of the date of travel we get a notification that her flight has changed from a direct flight to a connecting flight. It’s BS as a) we pay extra for the direct flight, and b) sometimes the direct flight is still operating.

Once I got her back into the direct flight, in business class, for a $5 fee. Yes, $5! The whole airline industry is fucked up in this country. Allow foreign competitors and we might get some half decent service.