Do e-bikes require pedals

Our local mup is open to e-bikes. It’s been great- lots of commuters and people out and about.

But in the last week I’ve seen three people in full face helmets on vehicles with foot pegs - which I would call dirt bikes.

Just made me curious if e-bikes require pedals.

There are different classes of e-bikes. Class 2 e-bikes can be ridden without pedaling. Other classes of e-bikes are pedal assist, meaning you need to pedal.

ETA: rules vary by location, but in Boulder City and County, class 2 e-bikes are allowed on streets, sidewalks, multi use paths, and some open space trails.

There are different classes of e-bikes. Class 2 e-bikes can be ridden without pedaling. Other classes of e-bikes are pedal assist, meaning you need to pedal.

ETA: rules vary by location, but in Boulder City and County, class 2 e-bikes are allowed on streets, sidewalks, multi use paths, and some open space trails.

These vehicles could not be pedaled because they physically do not have pedals. Just footpegs.

Do Class 2 require the ability to pedal? Or is that not necessary for a bicycle?

Can I get my kid an electric dirt bike to ride to school on the lobo trail?

The guides don’t actually say. Just that class 2 ebikes can be propelled without peddling.

Frankly, I think anything that can’t be peddled is a scooter. Do the MUPs allow electric scooters?

California vehicle code says they must have pedals, all 3 classes- class 1 & 3 you have to be peddling to get the assistance, class 2 does not require pedaling. Class 1&2 are limited to 20 mph, class 3 to 28mph. Then there’s the whole moped/ motor-driven cycle category that requires license and registration via DMV.

They need to add a level e-bikes that MUST be pedal, the emotor is only assist. And that should be a bike by law, the rest should all be mopeds.

These vehicles could not be pedaled because they physically do not have pedals. Just footpegs.

Do Class 2 require the ability to pedal? Or is that not necessary for a bicycle?

Can I get my kid an electric dirt bike to ride to school on the lobo trail?

Class 1 and 2 e-bikes are allowed on the LoBo trail, except for a short stretch at Twin Lakes.

https://assets.bouldercounty.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/e-bikes-map.pdf

I don’t know whether there is any enforcement in that section. I don’t recall seeing any County open space rangers on the LoBo trail, but I only ride the section east of Boulder a handful of times a year.

Reading more on the subject, I see that Colorado law requires class 1 and 2 e-bikes to have pedals. So, if someone wants to ride on a sidewalk, MUP, or open space trail, they need to have pedals. I don’t fully understand the concept, since a class 2 e-bike has a throttle. But, that appears to be the law.

As for an e-dirt bike, you’d need to research whether it qualifies as a class 1 or 2 e-bike. Those are well-defined terms, and a bike store should know the answer for a particular model. For example, class 1 and 2 e-bikes are capped at 750 watts. An e-MTB qualifies as an e-bike, assuming it is under 750 watts and stops providing power at 20mph.

The Colorado Law is under “Legal Definitions” near the bottom of the page:

https://bouldercolorado.gov/services/e-micromobility

They need to add a level e-bikes that MUST be pedal, the emotor is only assist. And that should be a bike by law, the rest should all be mopeds.
Those are Class 1 and Class 3.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1009/9108/files/EbikeClass-01_1_copy.jpg?v=1602700541

I have quite strong views on e-bikes.

I applaud anything that gets anyone off their arse and into some fresh air doing a modicum of physical exercise. To that point, e-bikes ought to be a stepping stone to a pedal bike for the very unfit.

I am also a big fan of e-bikes that have a super long wheelbase and (for want of a better expression) and open top box at the front that will take 2-3 early year school children. These can be powered with e-assistance by an average person to take kids to and from school. Much better than a car, and setting a good example. I see a lot of these in London; I think they may have a Dutch origin.

But e-bikes for anyone who can ride a pedal bike really get under my skin. The simple version: ride a fucking bike you lazy shit and do yourself some good. Wall-E was not supposed to be a road map for your future health and mobility, you hopeless wanker.

All the more so e-bikes that are basically mopeds ridden by late teen/early 20s males, because those are not - guarantee - being used for any legitimate purpose and are best dealt with by a light smattering of machine gun fire or a moderately powered flame thrower.

Those are Class 1 and Class 3.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1009/9108/files/EbikeClass-01_1_copy.jpg?v=1602700541

I’ve observed e-bikes doing wheelies. I was mildly impressed. I’ll assume they’re the class 3. Please explain it to me like I’m 4.

To me totally had become a round about way to avoid DUIs on weekend booze cruises. Either through throttle electric scooters or one wheels. Typical lazy entitled American bullshit phenomenon.

I only see a small minority of folks here commuting on anything like it. Vast majority are neckbeard drunks or overweight 50 year olds not even pedaling.

My issue is if you allow that how long till the gasser dirtbike folks complain.

Tell us how you really feel.

Generally I think if you are at all capable pedal a real bike.

MUP not sure we should allow e bikes. Don’t think they mix well with people on foot.

Around here a fair number of people with low income use e bikes as only mode of independent transport due to cost of owning vehicle. I’m cool with that mobility is something we shouldn’t deny people. But they often are putting themselves a quite a bit of risk.

This is Class 1, e-bike. I have a SpectralON and the motor assist does not work without pedaling. In PA and NY, this is allowed to be used on trails, the others are not.

To me totally had become a round about way to avoid DUIs on weekend booze cruises. Either through throttle electric scooters or one wheels. Typical lazy entitled American bullshit phenomenon.

I only see a small minority of folks here commuting on anything like it. Vast majority are neckbeard drunks or overweight 50 year olds not even pedaling.

I thought you could get a DUI or something similar even on a bike?

Maybe my memory is foggy but I seem to remember that happening to people when I was in college.

I thought you could get a DUI or something similar even on a bike?

Maybe my memory is foggy but I seem to remember that happening to people when I was in college.

Technically yes. Bicycles are vehicles. OWI/OUI isn’t specifically about cars - in Mass if you operate a vehicle with a BAC of >0.08% in public, you are OUI. If the law is specifically Driving under the influence, then no, you don’t drive a bike. If it’s the broader operating a vehicle under the influence, then yes, you operate a vehicle (bike). If the state only has DUI, then you can pilot a boat or plane drunk legally.

But Washington specifically has BUI - Biking under the influence. Cops can only impound the bike, not ticket for DUI.

There are 29 states that specifically exempt bikes from DUI laws. And 21+DC that don’t exempt bikes from DUI. But of those 29, 3+Washington have BUI fines (WA, KY, DE, CA)
https://bikeleague.org/sites/default/files/bui_full_chart.pdf

I applaud anything that gets anyone off their arse and into some fresh air doing a modicum of physical exercise. To that point, e-bikes ought to be a stepping stone to a pedal bike for the very unfit.

I am also a big fan of e-bikes that have a super long wheelbase and (for want of a better expression) and open top box at the front that will take 2-3 early year school children. These can be powered with e-assistance by an average person to take kids to and from school. Much better than a car, and setting a good example. I see a lot of these in London; I think they may have a Dutch origin.

But e-bikes for anyone who can ride a pedal bike really get under my skin. The simple version: ride a fucking bike you lazy shit and do yourself some good. Wall-E was not supposed to be a road map for your future health and mobility, you hopeless wanker.

All the more so e-bikes that are basically mopeds ridden by late teen/early 20s males, because those are not - guarantee - being used for any legitimate purpose and are best dealt with by a light smattering of machine gun fire or a moderately powered flame thrower.

Data would not support your stance, what they have found, is people with pedal ebikes, ride longer and more often than avg people with no e-assist. Why? Because they feel more confident when they get to a big hill, they can get over it, when they get a little tired they can get home. So in the end the users find it a more enjoyable all around experience and go longer and more often and get in better work outs then their peer group on regular bikes.

I had similar views in the past, but I’m mostly over it. I’m fine with nearly all e-bikes.

I regularly ride with an e-biker who’s 76 y.o. Former U.S. Olympian and has a literal room full of medals from cycling. But due to age and a heart attack he just can’t ride with “the boys” without an e-bike. But he regularly gets the boys (and sometimes some women) together, and we go on long rides. I can’t imagine telling him, “No, use a regular bike and do short recreational rides - you can no longer ride with the boys.”

My neighbors across the street are e-MTBers, and are just great people. Fit enough to ride regular bikes…but e-MTBs let them go far and do a lot of adventurous stuff.

I even have no problem with young, fit kids working on their gravity-MTB skills by using the motor to get up the mountain quickly do they work no DH skills.

I do have a problem with people who zoom and round on sidewalks or in random directions irrespective of traffic laws or common courtesy.

And while I have no problem with e-bikers joining group rides, I can get annoyed when they get overtly competitive with the muscle-powered crowd. In that case, the e-bikers should hang back and chill.

Data would not support your stance, what they have found, is people with pedal ebikes, ride longer and more often than avg people with no e-assist. Why? Because they feel more confident when they get to a big hill, they can get over it, when they get a little tired they can get home. So in the end the users find it a more enjoyable all around experience and go longer and more often and get in better work outs then their peer group on regular bikes.

That’s a funny bit of industry propaganda.

What does it matter if they ride longer, or more often?
They are usually just spinning their legs. It’s make believe physical activity. (Apparently many ebikes got rid of the farcical pedals).

I am okay with small electric motor cycles (with or without pedals) on the bike path, or in the bike lanes. They help keep the dog walkers, the pick-nickers, and the three abreast gossipers in line.
It’s a general benefit to the cyclists.
Zoom. Zoom.

What does it matter if they ride longer, or more often?

If you ride longer or more often you typically get better health benefits than riding shorter or less often.

Like if you run 20 miles per week you’d probably be a bit healthier than if you ran 10 miles per week.

(Apparently many ebikes got rid of the farcical pedals)

E-bikes have pedals. It’s true there are also new classes of pedal-less transport, but those seem to be exclusively used for urban transport. I, for one, have never seen a pedal-less thing used as a recreational bicycle, e.g. never on MTB trails or mixed in with group bike rides.