Do deaf people have an internal dialogue

in sign language?

My daughter asked me that recently. I haven’t looked up the answer because for some reason I just find it interesting to think about.

I haven’t read the whole link, but apparently lots of people who can hear don’t have an internal monologue.

https://www.bustle.com/wellness/does-everyone-have-an-internal-monologue

As to whether some deaf people do, I don’t know. But I’m sure that plenty don’t.

I haven’t read the whole link, but apparently lots of people who can hear don’t have an internal monologue.

https://www.bustle.com/...n-internal-monologue

As to whether some deaf people do, I don’t know. But I’m sure that plenty don’t.

Yeah I’ve heard that before, but still when people with a relatively quiet mind do think it must be in whatever their native language is, right?

Do deaf people think in “visual” signs rather than “auditory” words? They must, right?

I used to work at a deaf school. We had lots of conversations on this topic (internal dialogue, dream languages, etc.). They all said that they have an internal sign language dialogue and dream in ASL.

I used to work at a deaf school. We had lots of conversations on this topic (internal dialogue, dream languages, etc.). They all said that they have an internal sign language dialogue and dream in ASL.

That’s what I figured.

OK, so I’ve heard it said that a person really knows they are fluent in another language when they start dreaming in it. Do people that can hear but use sign language ever have an internal dialogue in the sign language or dream in it?

in sign language?

My daughter asked me that recently. I haven’t looked up the answer because for some reason I just find it interesting to think about.

That’s a fascinating question. Now I’d love to know too.

I’ve had my internal monologue change language. I spoke my native tongue for a phone call maybe once every 6-8 weeks (I wasn’t locked up abroad, despite what it sounds like…)

Do people that can hear but use sign language ever have an internal dialogue in the sign language or dream in it?

I have about an n=3(ish) sort of answer… Umm, sometimes. Most of the brain stuff is done in your primary language with snippets of secondary languages sprinkled in. Me, and a couple of colleagues, admitted to having ASL dreams (including one spouse that jumped in to wake his wife who was sleep signing and shaking the bed). Every once in a while, especially when I’m in Deaf culture, sign language will jump to the front of the line but spoken English rules the internals.

OK, so I’ve heard it said

Stop rubbing it in!

I knew a girl who moved here from Germany but had been here long enough that she spoke only English

I asked her if the people in her dreams spoke German or English

“Only in nightmares do they speak German”

In my dreams, I get interrupted and asked to spell the word so they can understand.

I never knew people did not have internal dialogue. So now I am sitting here having internal dialogue about how the hell do people not have internal dialogue.

I’ve always wondered how congenitally deaf people interact with verbal arts like poetry that rely in part on aural elements.

How does someone who’s never heard sound react to something like a rhyming couplet, if they don’t have the experience of hearing what a rhyme sounds like? What helps create beauty in poetry in ASL - is it the flow of the hand gestures rather than the sound of the words?

I never knew people did not have internal dialogue. So now I am sitting here having internal dialogue about how the hell do people not have internal dialogue.

I’m not sure that article is saying they have no internal dialogue but that they have relatively little?

That being said I’m pretty sure there are people who get brain injuries that lose their ability to formulate language (not just the ability to speak, which could be just a motor output problem). I would think they would no longer have an internal dialogue?

Presumably people born without the ability to acquire language wouldn’t have an internal dialogue either.

What about apes that have been taught sign language, do they acquire the ability to think in symbols and have an internal dialogue? My guess would be they don’t since their abilities are so rudimentary.

I would think that if you were deaf from birth no but if you had hearing and became deaf you probably would still have the ability. I don’t if it would deteriorate over time like speech.

I’m not sure that article is saying they have no internal dialogue but that they have relatively little?

That being said I’m pretty sure there are people who get brain injuries that lose their ability to formulate language (not just the ability to speak, which could be just a motor output problem). I would think they would no longer have an internal dialogue?

Presumably people born without the ability to acquire language wouldn’t have an internal dialogue either.

What about apes that have been taught sign language, do they acquire the ability to think in symbols and have an internal dialogue? My guess would be they don’t since their abilities are so rudimentary.

There are a few fascinating chapters along these lines in Oliver Sack’s, The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat… – about the weird effects of various brain deficits.

Re apes - if an ape has learned to communicate in sign language, it can surely think along those lines. Has to.

In general, do animals have an internal dialogue? What language? And what about deaf animals?

I am one of these people. I don’t think in “words”. I just have thoughts that are separate from the method I might convey them to someone. I kinda realized this one time when I was trying to explain something I was thinking about and had a tough time doing it because the whole time I was trying to convert “thoughts” into words. When I said something like “sorry I’m having a hard time converting this thought into words” to the person I was talking to, he was taken aback and didn’t understand. That’s when I learned that apparently most people think in words and I had no idea

There are a few fascinating chapters along these lines in Oliver Sack’s, The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat… – about the weird effects of various brain deficits.

Re apes - if an ape has learned to communicate in sign language, it can surely think along those lines. Has to.

In general, do animals have an internal dialogue? What language? And what about deaf animals?

I’m still doubtful about apes, they never acquire grammar to any meaningful degree, so they are basically just signing words, almost entirely in response to a person prompting them. As the linguist John McWhorter said, the thing that people often overlook is that apes taught sign language overwhelmingly have nothing to say. Unlike a typical human child that is babbling from very early on and basically never shuts up for the rest of its life once it acquires language. It’s not like acquiring rudimentary language pops the cork off of some ape cognitive champagne that has just been waiting to get out.

I am one of these people. I don’t think in “words”. I just have thoughts that are separate from the method I might convey them to someone. I kinda realized this one time when I was trying to explain something I was thinking about and had a tough time doing it because the whole time I was trying to convert “thoughts” into words. When I said something like “sorry I’m having a hard time converting this thought into words” to the person I was talking to, he was taken aback and didn’t understand. That’s when I learned that apparently most people think in words and I had no idea

Are you multi-lingual? Is the difficulty you mentioned due to translating your thoughts into the listener’s language?

Personally, my internal voice uses words (english), but there’s a whole bunch of internal thoughts that aren’t just words - images, metaphors, visualizations, it’s all in there and more :slight_smile:

I have noticed that my internal voice is ageless… I think it’s me in my 20’s or 30’s. Just smarter/wiser as I age.

I’m still doubtful about apes, they never acquire grammar to any meaningful degree, so they are basically just signing words, almost entirely in response to a person prompting them. As the linguist John McWhorter said, the thing that people often overlook is that apes taught sign language overwhelmingly have nothing to say. Unlike a typical human child that is babbling from very early on and basically never shuts up for the rest of its life once it acquires language. It’s not like acquiring rudimentary language pops the cork off of some ape cognitive champagne that has just been waiting to get out.

Or the apes are actually smarter than we are – “Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt”. I know a few humans that demonstrate this all the time. :slight_smile: