Divorce and child custody/legal issues questions

Yes, I know a lawyer in our state is best suited to answer these questions, and we are meeting with him this week, but I’m curious if anyone has personal experience with how judges tend to rule on these issues. My wife has been served papers to appear in a custody hearing because her ex wants to change the formerly agreed upon custody schedule, and wants to air some grievances before the court. Keeping this as short and focused as possible, the issues detailed in the summons are:

• He wants additional time in the summer (a reasonable request in the absence context), however he has made it clear that he will not spend his weekends or weeks with the kids where they live and participate in sports, family events, sleepovers etc and has only been motivated to take a child to their game when I offered to skip the first half of my shift and drive the child to his home the following day because he was unwilling to do so, and we did not want him to miss his first ever basketball game. Every other time one of the kids has requested to stay home or for him to take them he has scolded her for signing the kids up for activities on his weekend, meaning he does not want them playing sports or anything with a weekend commitment because he does not plan on supporting those activities here. He has said explicitly that if she does it is her obligation to “manage their expectations” about missing every other game as they always fall on weekends.

• He is complaining that he cannot choose whichever dates he pleases around the holiday (he views his 7 days as immutable and tells her when they will be with him rather than coordinate with her and take the kids’ local family schedule and other events into consideration). They alternate Christmas Eve and Christmas day but the rest of their 3+ weeks off from school is in play here. She has asked him every year since divorce to contact her in advance of making plans so they can work out an agreeable schedule but he refuses to do so, and defaults to telling her when he will be taking them. He did not say how he wants to resolve this in the complaint, only that they “cannot agree” on this issue.

• He is complaining that the 4.5yo calls me “Dada” and is upset that she “either encourages it or does not discourage it.” I have raised the boy on a full time basis since he was a year old, when the father had next to no involvement in his life for nearly 2 years. Additionally, he has all three kids call his new wife “Mama (X)” and the hypocrisy of his complaint, when he asked why the boy calls me Dada, has gone unaddressed. I’m not sure what the point of bringing this before a judge is but to attempt to make mom look like she’s trying to drive a wedge between them.

• He moved from rural VA to the far side of the DC beltway, nearly 3h from where the kids live. The judge ruled that he is responsible for transportation on his visitation weekends; we offer to drive on occasion when our work schedule makes that feasible. Since she now works part time close to his house, he is asking “for the children’s benefit” that she assume an equal part of the driving even though it in no way conveys benefit to the children, she did not move them away from him, and she has no control over which days she works. Currently she has a total of two full and four half days per month without kids and he is asking the judge to require her to spend nearly 6 hours on the road on half of those days.

• He is asking the judge to assign all legal fees for this petition to her.

I don’t expect this will go well for him, as the divorce hearing and subsequent dispute over him keeping the accrued interest on an equally divided investment account all went largely in her favor, including legal fees. I don’t see these complaints as reasonable and my expectation is that:

• The judge will take into consideration that he is asking her to pay for a change to an agreement that he formerly signed off on and one she has lived up to in every aspect, and assign him the cost of the hearing and lawyer fees

• Judge will take into consideration that he does not support the kids activities and may require him to do so on his custody weekends

• The above may affect the judge’s willingness to assign more summertime days or weeks (she has offered him more summer time days and weeks provided that it does not result in them being pulled away from their activities at home, he has ignored that offer every time it was made)

• The court has no interest in what my step-son calls me, or if she refers to me as “dad” in our home where my sons also reside part time, especially given his double standard on the issue and that there is no evidence of her trying to interfere with their relationship (she has not)

• The judge will note that she does 95% of all the heavy lifting of child rearing, transportation, laundry, cooking, etc and dismiss his request to require her to drive them to his home 3 hours away, where he voluntarily moved.

Not addressed in his complaint but an ongoing issue is that he has told her on several occasions now what activities they are not allowed to participate in, specifically riding around the farm on the back of an ATV or learning to ride a minibike. I don’t know if a parent with joint legal custody but who is not the primary custodian can dictate what legal activities the kids may or may not participate in when they are with the primary custodian. We will address this in the hearing as well.

I am obviously biased here but I don’t see how these are complaints or requests that a family court judge would be sympathetic to. All of her offers to coordinate, negotiate, extend his time with the kids and access to communication have been met with silence or diversion, they are all focused on the needs of the kids and not her own personal convenience, and it’s all documented via email, to the point where I think we could submit a small binder of these exchanges and never have to speak a word in our defense.

Am I being overly optimistic here or are these objectively frivolous complaints?

specifically riding around the farm on the back of an ATV or learning to ride a minibike.

That’s a perfectly reasonable position to adopt.

Maybe so. The question is, does the noncustodial parent have the right to dictate that to the custodial parent? I don’t know the answer and it’s been tough to find.

Given that we live on a farm with horses, which are probably more dangerous than a 4 wheeler driven by an adult, it’s a practical question that needs an answer. I would think the court would reference if an activity is legal, is it being done with reasonable safety precautions, and is it in anyone’s best interest to allow the noncustodial parent to dictate these decisions to the custodial parent.

Because if so, it’s a never ending conversation and in our case, a situation in which the father constantly pimps the kids for information about their activities.

Maybe so. The question is, does the noncustodial parent have the right to dictate that to the custodial parent? I don’t know the answer and it’s been tough to find.activities.

My vague recollection is that joint custody without regard to custody bestows equal say in raising the kid.

Setting that aside ATVs and minibikes for kids is dumb.

Maybe so. The question is, does the noncustodial parent have the right to dictate that to the custodial parent? I don’t know the answer and it’s been tough to find.activities.

My vague recollection is that joint custody without regard to custody bestows equal say in raising the kid.

Maybe for city-dwellers, but for farm kids, it’s a way of life. Here’s yet another instance of city-folk trying to dictate what others do, simply because they do not understand it. Stay in your lane, windy.

Sphere - I may be biased as a step-father whose honey’s ex is a dipshit, as well, but this guy sounds like the typical jack-hole that just wants to make other people’s lives hell to try to make himself look better. Hell with him.

Hopefully, it all turns out ok for you guys.

I’ve got a backhoe you can borrow, if it comes to that…

• Jeff

Maybe so. The question is, does the noncustodial parent have the right to dictate that to the custodial parent? I don’t know the answer and it’s been tough to find.

Given that we live on a farm with horses, which are probably more dangerous than a 4 wheeler driven by an adult, it’s a practical question that needs an answer. I would think the court would reference if an activity is legal, is it being done with reasonable safety precautions, and is it in anyone’s best interest to allow the noncustodial parent to dictate these decisions to the custodial parent.

Because if so, it’s a never ending conversation and in our case, a situation in which the father constantly pimps the kids for information about their activities.

I thought, per 4 wheeler manufacturer, they are for single riders only, and no one is suppose to ride bitch seat? If that is the case, Yeah I could see that falling maybe not illegal, but neglect arena.

Your vague recollection is well complemented by your overly ambiguous summarization.

You don’t have equal say in raising a kid when one parent does all the work all the time with the exception of two weekends per month. I say that as a dad in exactly both situations; I know my limitations, legally and practically speaking. Major decisions like health care, school etc require parental agreement, and most of this is spelled out in the custody agreement. My oldest was into rock climbing; his instructor just broke his tib-fib when his belayer failed to secure properly. Is it within my rights to forbid him from climbing because of the inherent danger? I’m pretty sure my ex could tell me to pound sand if I said no. So there has to be some semblance of an objective standard to rule by in disputes. Is it legal for children, and are proper safety precautions being taken, would be my first two guideposts. But even then, there will be objections. Organized peewee tackle football at age 8 is a good case in point. Legal, safety precautions taken, still relatively high risk.

I think this is probably where a judge’s discretion comes into play and it probably varies greatly from one to another.

I think cheerleading is dumb and objectively dangerous. Doesn’t mean I should be able to tell my ex that my kids shall not participate if they wanted to.

https://can-am.brp.com/content/dam/global/en/can-am-off-road/my24/photos/vehicle-lineup/atv/outlander/outlander-max-limited/ORV-ATV-MY24-Outlander%20MAX-Limited-1000R-Stone-Gray-0005WRA00-34FR-NA.png

I agree, the question of if it’s legal should matter a good bit in how a judge should rule. Almost goes without saying.

I took the kids down to the farm on my Harley a few times, paved back road, maybe a 2 mile round trip at most. Helmet, two seats, back support, foot rests, low speed. Perfectly legal in our state. Their dad threw a fit when they told him. I said out of respect for him I wouldn’t take them on the bike again, and I haven’t, but again, it’s legal and safe because of the speed, distance, location, safety devices, etc. Inherent danger, yes, practically speaking, it would require a freak accident to bring harm, and freak accidents can happen anywhere.

My wife told me this comes from her objections to him getting a bike when they were married, so this may be grudge parenting at some level. Regardless the question stands, does he have the right to dictate these things and how would the court view his weighing on every activity–skiing, snowboarding, wakeboarding, ATV, horseback riding, hoverboards, battery powered scooters, mountain bikes, there’s no end to the inherently risky things these kids will be doing safely, and no end to his proven interest in trying to exert whatever control he can on the situation.

https://can-am.brp.com/content/can-am-off-road/en_us/models/all-terrain-vehicles/outlander-pro/_jcr_content/root/modelteaser_copy.coreimg.png/1696273157963/orv-atv-my24-can-am-outlander-pro-xu-hd5-desert-tan-0001lra00-34fr-na.png

Not sure why we are now posting pics of ATV’s.

But if you meant to add, that is what you have and it is a 2seater, than clearly its okay to have 2 on a 2 seater. The folks I know who have ATVs all have the 1 seater and ride 2 all the time. Some talk about getting 2 seater atv, some even own a 2 seater ATV. But they refer to them as that not a just an ATV. Hence my question. I mean you could even have a sidebyside again usually refered to in those words.

Guess its different where you are and everyone calls 2 seaters just ATV’s

I agree, the question of if it’s legal should matter a good bit in how a judge should rule. Almost goes without saying.

I took the kids down to the farm on my Harley a few times, paved back road, maybe a 2 mile round trip at most. Helmet, two seats, back support, foot rests, low speed. Perfectly legal in our state. Their dad threw a fit when they told him. I said out of respect for him I wouldn’t take them on the bike again, and I haven’t, but again, it’s legal and safe because of the speed, distance, location, safety devices, etc. Inherent danger, yes, practically speaking, it would require a freak accident to bring harm, and freak accidents can happen anywhere.

My wife told me this comes from her objections to him getting a bike when they were married, so this may be grudge parenting at some level. Regardless the question stands, does he have the right to dictate these things and how would the court view his weighing on every activity–skiing, snowboarding, wakeboarding, ATV, horseback riding, hoverboards, battery powered scooters, mountain bikes, there’s no end to the inherently risky things these kids will be doing safely, and no end to his proven interest in trying to exert whatever control he can on the situation.

Thankfully I have ZERO experience with divorce court, let alone divorce courts with kids.

Ultimately the question comes down to risk taking. I would expect if its not illegal, or agreed in a court document as prohibited your probably okay. Just like he could have taken him to the Trump rally on Jan 6th. Personally, it just sounds like your stuck with dealing with an arse. I am sure if the kid is doing those things, Dad will find some legal activity he knows mom wont like and have the kid do that.

Divorce sucks, Divorce with kids really sucks, Divorce with kids with split custody where parents can’t get along, really really sucks.

My daughter’s exhusband and the father of her two oldest kids sounds similar. She’s been dealing with similar motions for the last two years. She’s spent upwards of $100k in legal fees on the divorce and subsequent custody proceedings.

I would recommend letting your lawyer handle it and not trying to apply common sense and logic to the problem. We made that mistake and were sorely disappointed.

Each issue will need to be addressed specifically in a response by your attorney. Hopefully the judge will rule on the motion and response without requiring a hearing.

My daughters ex has financial resources. He works for the US Dept. of State. He uses the court system as, essentially, a legal form of control and harassment. Over the last year, he’s filed a new motion every three months or so. Each motion requires a response from my daughter and her attorney - which costs my daughter $1000-2000 per response, and significantly more for the ones for which a hearing was held.

There is essentially no choice but to respond to each motion.

For example, my daughter - who lives in Colorado - petitioned to have the custody issues moved to Colorado from Wyoming, the state which currently has jurisdiction. None of the parties involved have residency or other ties to Wyoming. Her ex claims Wyoming as his state of residence for tax purposes (which DoS enables him to do) and he filed for divorce in Wyoming while they were living in Europe, where they lived for the entirety of the marriage. The divorce was handled in Wyoming. He fought the move to Colorado and forced a hearing, which cost my daughter about $3000. The court ultimately ruled that it did not have the jurisdiction to decide. So, because he fought it, it cost my kid a lot of money and nothing was resolved.

I wish you good luck. I have a dim view of the family court system and the attorney’s that practice within it.

How’s this for travel expenses? My daughter spent abour $10K in 2023 on travel. Her ex got the kids and lives in Serbia. He picks them up in CO at the tax payers expense. She has to collect them in Serbia at her expense. He had them for Christmas/new years and for the summer, requiring my daughter to fly twice to Europe and bring them home.

He works for the US Dept. of State. He uses the court system as, essentially, a legal form of control and harassment.

He’s part of the Biden Administration??

Edit: And, sorry to you and sphere, and most importantly the kids, for the total shit situation.

Maybe for city-dwellers, but for farm kids, it’s a way of life. Here’s yet another instance of city-folk trying to dictate what others do, simply because they do not understand it. Stay in your lane, windy.

I grew up in a pretty rural state (Montana). Just because something is a way of life doesn’t mean it isn’t also dumb. I knew plenty of kids who rode them and ended up fine. I knew a number who got injured - and one who (my friends older brother who was a skilled rider) that ended up paralyzed.

This past summer I was out on a gravel ride and came across a couple 13 year olds who were out on a joy ride and one took a corner too fast and flipped and was pinned under his rig and had a messed up leg. Thankfully he had a helmet…stupidly he wasn’t wearing a shirt and lost. A lot of skin. Helped flip the ATV over, evaluated the kid who wrecked to see if he was good enough that we could move him and then had to get them back to a forest road with a name and then had to ride closer to town to get into cell range so we could call for help. Shit happens. As a parent I would be hesitant if someone was taking my 4.5 year out on mini bikes and ATV’s not knowing what the logistics are (terrain, safety equipment, who is driving, what type of speeds they are going, etc)

Your daughter is welcome to borrow my backhoe, as well…

Fuck those assholes. God, I hate people.

• Jeff

Your vague recollection is well complemented by your overly ambiguous summarization.

You don’t have equal say in raising a kid when one parent does all the work all the time with the exception of two weekends per month. I say that as a dad in exactly both situations; I know my limitations, legally and practically speaking. Major decisions like health care, school etc require parental agreement, and most of this is spelled out in the custody agreement. My oldest was into rock climbing; his instructor just broke his tib-fib when his belayer failed to secure properly. Is it within my rights to forbid him from climbing because of the inherent danger? I’m pretty sure my ex could tell me to pound sand if I said no. So there has to be some semblance of an objective standard to rule by in disputes. Is it legal for children, and are proper safety precautions being taken, would be my first two guideposts. But even then, there will be objections. Organized peewee tackle football at age 8 is a good case in point. Legal, safety precautions taken, still relatively high risk.

I think this is probably where a judge’s discretion comes into play and it probably varies greatly from one to another.

I think cheerleading is dumb and objectively dangerous. Doesn’t mean I should be able to tell my ex that my kids shall not participate if they wanted to.

Let’s put it this way, the chance of the kid getting hurt is smaller than the chance of getting killed in Chicago on any given day.

As a parent I would be hesitant if someone was taking my 4.5 year out on mini bikes and ATV’s not knowing what the logistics are (terrain, safety equipment, who is driving, what type of speeds they are going, etc)

That’s the entirety of the problem. You assume the worst when it’s your kid and you have no first hand knowledge of the situation. I get that.

It’s also his own damn fault that he doesn’t. He doesn’t communicate like a normal person and refuses to do so. He assumes and presents the worst case scenarios, implies that she doesn’t care about the welfare of the children and tries to dictate what she shall and shall not do with them. Every opportunity to gather ammunition against her, he seizes.

A few weeks ago he picked the kids up at the house at 5pm Friday after school. He arrived and the kids had snacked but not yet eaten dinner since we typically eat at 6, The boy asked if they could stop for dinner on the way to his house 3h away and he looked at her and said, “You haven’t even fed them dinner yet?” and scoffed. When they got home on Sunday the ten year old told her mom that she’s sorry if she said anything that got her in trouble. When she asked what she was talking about, the girl said that her dad set up his phone on the dashboard, hit video record, and had the kids repeat that they were hungry and that mom didn’t feed them dinner. She knew what he was trying to do and was twisted over participating in it.

It was also 5pm on his own night to feed the kids, but somehow in his mind it was an opportunity to screw her over so he took it without concern for the kids. This is the kind of person we’re dealing with.

Just remember, if he wasn’t a complete, ass. She might have stayed with him, for the kids, and you never would have met her. So there is the positive of him being a complete wack.

Of course maybe this tells us more about you, since your describing your wifes, choice of mates. (sorry just one of the twisted thoughts I always have when I her new partners, complaining about their spouse’s ex.).

Sphere - I may be biased as a step-father whose honey’s ex is a dipshit, as well, but this guy sounds like the typical jack-hole that just wants to make other people’s lives hell to try to make himself look better. Hell with him.

Hopefully, it all turns out ok for you guys.

I’ve got a backhoe you can borrow, if it comes to that…

• Jeff

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/safety-prevention/at-play/Pages/ATV-Safety-Rules.aspx

From 1985–2015, ATV crashes killed more than 3,000 children under the age of 16. Nearly 1 million more were taken to the emergency department due to an ATV crash. In fact, it’s estimated that about 4 kids are seen in an emergency department every hour for an ATV-related injury in the United States.

Don’t ride with or as a passenger. Most ATVs are designed to carry only one person: the driver. Passengers can make ATVs less stable and difficult to control.

You were saying? I mean the American Academy of Pediatrics is a bunch of city slickers…

A good friend of mine is dealing with a very unreasonable ex spouse which encourages my sympathy with you.

I don’t see the ATV/minibike issue as the hill to die on so to speak. ATV are rightly perceived as dangerous and I think the judge will likely rule against your wife on that one.