Different Shoes for Different Workouts

Anybody use different shoes for long slow runs vs. tempo or interval runs?

I have shoes that have provided me with reasonably injury-free running for the last couple of years. However, as I’ve starting varying my workouts/efforts, I’ve noticed that on long slow runs, my current shoes don’t seem to provide the cushioning/stability that they do when I’m running faster (hahahahahaha, faster. . .).

Anybody have any advice on this? I run in Newton Gravity III right now, so low drop shoes. Would something like the Hoka be an alternative?

Cheers,
Robert

I wear flats on the track.
I wear hoka Clifton for long runs.
I mix up the cliftons and sayanaras for road runs up to 1:15.

I used to run in flats all the time, until I realized I’m not running enough. As my mileage increased I ran into the limitations of flats with a series of injuries and overly-long recovery periods from each run. At the same time I had a roommate in university who ran everything - from 400m track repeats to marathons - in the Brooks Launch (performance-trainer, very cushioned and universally popular). Bought a pair and promptly ran a half in them the next week, and it was an eye-opener - never thought I’d feel so fresh at the end of a long run. In my experience, it pretty much works one way: You can run your intervals with your “long run” shoes but not necessarily the other way around.

These days I’m still a pathological shoe-collector, but I do my faster runs and racing in Newton Distance III and Elites, my long runs in Brooks Launch or Newton Energy (super-soft shoe and very underrated, in my opinion) and my track work either in cross-country flats or in my road-racing shoes (depends on the type of workout).

Specifically regarding the Newtons, there’s something about that lug geometry in their Racing series (Gravity, Distance, Elite) that “clicks” for me when running at higher paces, but falls apart and feels wrong on slower runs. Their other sheos - Aha/Energy and Fate/Kismet - aren’t as pronounced with that effect.

Interesting. I hadn’t thought about using a different Newton product for the longer mileage. I just automatically assumed I would look at one of the ultra cushioned shoes. I’ll have to peruse the Newton site for the other models about which you speak. Thanks!

I myself have troubled with the “Ultra-cushion” category, as I’ve found it just caused my injuries to “shift up” from the shins and feet upwards to the hips. I like to stick with medium-soft shoes that offer a broad, stable platform (Energy, Brooks Launch fit that to a tee) for any long distance - if I can’t handle a distance with those shoes then I’m not ready for that distance yet.

Mizuno Rider for longer running
Mizuno Sayonara for most every day running
Asics DS Racer for fast training and HIM/Oly racing
Saucony Type A4 for 5K and shorter. (I have gone much further in those shoes but it doesn’t help me)
Asics Fuji racer for trail racing

Newton Gravity for long slow runs.
Newton Distance for pretty much everything else: speed work, tempo, and any race from a half to a full marathon…
Mizuno Evo Cursoris: 5k to half marathon…

I’ve been running in newtons for a few years and just ordered the new gravity model last night. However, I also ordered a pair of the NB Zante with the intent to use them on faster runs. I have no experience with the NB fresh foam so I’m not sure what to expect, other than a lighter feel.

Saucony Virrata for longer training runs and races 10k & up.

New Balance Minimus Zero for track workouts and 5k races

I have a pair of Topo ST’s that I mix in as well, generally for shorter tempo runs.

I just ordered a pair of Inov-8 Tri-Xtreme while they’re still available. Hoping they’ll be my sprint/oly race shoes for this season.

Yup oddly enough I use hoka and vibrams for short distance if my run volume isn’t super high, if it is always hoka.

I think it’s a good idea to have a few different shoes to run in.
Running is a repetitive motion. The more you alter the motion the better. That’s why it’s always suggested to run on roads and trails. Different shoes act differently which also changes up the repetition. You could argue that pace changes also do this.
Yours is interesting because you run in Newton. It’s also very important to note that you have been injury free. I would suggest finding a different model Newton to rotate in. I have a buddy who runs in Newton only and he uses the Gravity, Fate and Distance Elite in his rotation. Usually doing track work in the Distance Elite. I’ve done long runs with him in the Gravity and Fate. That may work or you may find the Motion is your long run shoe and the Gravity is your fast run shoe.

Same guy ran in the Hoka Clifton the other day and had hip pain the rest of the day. Going from his Newton to the rocker was too much change for his running gait. Your gait probably isn’t like his so it might work or it might not.

I do have different shoes but they accommodate different conditions, not different workouts. I’ve got hot, moderate, and cold weather pairs.

For my long runs and workouts I use the Brooks Ravena’s. For everyday running I switch between the Brooks Adrenaline and the Mizuno Wave Rider and I also use racing flats but just for racing.

Adidas Adistar Boost for runs when I’m feeling beat up and just barely trotting along (7:30-8:30/mile).

Adidas Tempo Boost for most runs (fartleks, hill workouts, normal distance runs, really anything in the 5:45-7:30/mile range).

New Balance RC1400 for uptempo and races and whatever else I want (aka race-sim bricks where I do a hard 20min tempo off of a hard bike, or if I do some mile repeats - sometimes I use them for distance as well).

The RC1400 is an awesome shoe with a wide range of uses. They’ve got enough cushioning to go slower, light and responsive enough to go fast - I could probably get by with just these and the tempo.

I would say the Hoka is a good choice for low drop with cushion, that’s kinda their claim to fame. I’ve tried them and I didn’t mind them. The reason I didn’t stick with them is I don’t really run enough to need the extra protection. I only run 20-25mpw, and my longest runs are only an hour at a moderate to hard pace, usually 6:10-6:20.

The new lightweight Hokas interest me though - I may be picking up a pair at some point.

Short runs in almost-sacked Brooks Pure Flow or Nike Zoom Elites
Long runs in fresh Nike Zoom Elites
Tempo in New Balance M890
Race in New Balance M1400
Trail run in Asics Fuji Racer

I think wearing a different pair of shoes every day keeps me injury free (muscles/joints that might disagree with one shoe don’t suffer repeated aggravation), help keep the blisters down on my wimpy feet, and it gives me an excuse to buy more shoes.

I’ve got as far as working out that I love zero drop Altras for trails but not so much for road. The Superiors for ‘nice’ and/or shorter trails and the Lone Peaks for longer gnarlier trails.

I’ve also got the Intuition road shoes which I think I’ll try for longer slower road as they just don’t feel quite right for faster harder runs.

My go to shoes for road & tri races are Karhus in various models. That bit of drop just seems to work better on bitumen.