Did Clincher Tires get Tighter over the last 2-4 years?

I have not really been riding that much to warrant buy new tires as I had a decade old stock of all kinds. In the last two years, bought some Vittoria Corsa and Conti 5000’s and they were both insanely hard to mount on rims. I am not in the tubeless nor hookless world so it this partially a culprit? I can’t really explain because the latest set of tires seem to be way tighter than same brands from 4-20 years ago. I never struggled so much to mount these things !!!

Did you definitely get the non tubeless ready versions of the tyres?

That said, I think rims have started to be on the larger side of the spec than in the old days, but to be fair first time on I always found the corsas (becuse that’s all I used) would be tricky. I’d always put on and take off twice with no tube first, I’d then install with the (latex) tube in and it would be much easier and stretched by then.

May also be as we’re not on 21mm wide any more, so more tyre to resist the stretching?

. I am not in the tubeless nor hookless world so it this partially a culprit?

That’d be my guess. Modern tires are designed for modern rims, particularly rims with the deep inner channel that emerged as part of tubeless rim design. If you don’t have that channel, could be hard.

With both those tires, I push the bead over with my thumbs on Hunt Limitless rims. It’s been a few years since I had to start swearing at my tires and doing stupid tire lever things to get the bead over. Maybe pre-pandemic since I had to do that.

That said, I think rims have started to be on the larger side of the spec than in the old days, but to be fair first time on I always found the corsas (becuse that’s all I used) would be tricky. I’d always put on and take off twice with no tube first, I’d then install with the (latex) tube in and it would be much easier and stretched by then.

May also be as we’re not on 21mm wide any more, so more tyre to resist the stretching?

Is there a different “non tubeless version”? Maybe that is my big problem here!!! Let me check tomorrow. And it is insane getting these seated without a “hump”…tried on three different rims with mixed results. Maybe some miles takes care of the seating issue.

If they are the TR versions then that would explain it :wink: However, same goes, put them on with a lever and no tube to stretch them, then take them off, and again, then do it with the tube and it will be fine and no risk of pinching.

Worst tyre I ever did was a conti trainer tyre from the days of wheel on trainers (c2002?) on a shimano R540 wheel. That still gives me nightmares all this time later.

Dev get the kool stop bead jack. It makes an impossible tire eminently doable. (Still not easy though)

I also own a mini version of it that I’ve used several times and also works great on the road, takes all the stress out of tire mounting.

OK thanks for all the inputs on this thread. Greatly appreciated. I talked to the guys in the High Peaks bike shop in Lake Placid where i am for a few days of training and they said for sure they are seeing this on older rims and new tires. In any case, just using the high pressurexspeed compressor pump got it back on the rim properly (instead of uneven height due to some parts being seated near the rim tape instead of the beaded part. With the high speed compressor, it just pushes the tire out till it is properly seated…manually pumping, I guess the tire has a moment to settle in and attach to wherever it is at that moment before the next blast of air.

In any case, can you give a link to the tool you are talking about? May save my hands, psoas and back from reefing next time.

By the way these 30mm Vittoria Corsa’s are sweet riding around at 60 psi. They just seem more compliant than conti 5000 28’s at the same psi

I have not really been riding that much to warrant buy new tires as I had a decade old stock of all kinds. In the last two years, bought some Vittoria Corsa and Conti 5000’s and they were both insanely hard to mount on rims. I am not in the tubeless nor hookless world so it this partially a culprit? I can’t really explain because the latest set of tires seem to be way tighter than same brands from 4-20 years ago. I never struggled so much to mount these things !!!

I’m not in tubeless or hookless world yet, either, but I’ve noticed the same over the last few years, and have changed my installation technique. With these newer tires, Conti 5000 included, you really want to put one tire side on and make sure it’s in the center of the rim, where the wheel circumferences is the smallest. Then make sure the second side is also positioned in the center of the rim, as you put on the tire inch by inch, so no part of the tire is near the rim sidewall. Once you’ve placed 95% of the tire in the smallest circumference area, you are ready to pop over the last few inches. The last few inches of the tire to be installed, should be the only portion of the entire tire near the rim’s outer edge, with everything else in the center of the rim, and then they pop over fairly easily. Otherwise, if you install these new tires, like your old tire stock, and use a less optimal method, they can be a total bear. Best of luck!

In any case, can you give a link to the tool you are talking about? May save my hands, psoas and back from reefing next time.

I almost can’t believe you’ve been cycling for as long as you have and have never tried this thing. It REALLY works. And it works best on tough tires, ones that even ‘experts’ at no-tool installation find nearly impossible.

Kool Stop on Amazon

You’ll probably have to read the instructions or watch a quick video on how to use it at first - it’s easy, but not quite obvious if you’ve never used one before. This will save your thumbs big-time - I use it EVERY time and it has never failed me, ever.

As someone who had no idea on the differences between TLR and non TLR tyres I can confirm (at least for Pirelli) the non TLR variants of the same tyre are so much easier to fit than TLR ones.

Is there a different “non tubeless version”? Maybe that is my big problem here!!! Let me check tomorrow. And it is insane getting these seated without a “hump”…tried on three different rims with mixed results. Maybe some miles takes care of the seating issue.

Absolutely for the GP5000. There is a “clincher”, non-tubeless version which is relatively simple to put on. There are also 2 versions of the tubeless version: the older TL (giant PIA to mount) and the newer S TR (which is inbetween the two).

I’m not sure about the Corsa line.

A number of years ago I was told to put new tires out in the sun for a bit before mounting. Works like a charm every time, really makes a difference. That said, I do agree some of the modern tires are even worse than before because of tubeless stuff.

Dev get the kool stop bead jack. It makes an impossible tire eminently doable. (Still not easy though)

I also own a mini version of it that I’ve used several times and also works great on the road, takes all the stress out of tire mounting.

Thanks for the tip! What’s the mini version called?

To those who can’t easily get their hands on the Kool Stop Bead Jack (it’s not distributed in my country and can’t be purchased from Amazon US), I found an alternative - no idea how good it is - called BBB Cycling EasyTire.

A number of years ago I was told to put new tires out in the sun for a bit before mounting. Works like a charm every time, really makes a difference. That said, I do agree some of the modern tires are even worse than before because of tubeless stuff.

Clothes dryer for a few minutes also works.

I’m not sure about the Corsa line.

The Corsa line has no tubed-only variants.

I’ve taken pride over the last few years at being able to install and remove tires without any levers.

I just bought a set of the Nextie wheels that are 29mm internal and hooked. I put on a new pair of GP5000 AS in 35mm and it was nearly imposable. I really hope they loosen up some before I need to remove them for some reason.

I’ve taken pride over the last few years at being able to install and remove tires without any levers.

I just bought a set of the Nextie wheels that are 29mm internal and hooked. I put on a new pair of GP5000 AS in 35mm and it was nearly imposable. I really hope they loosen up some before I need to remove them for some reason.

I recently switched to Michelin Power TTs for that very reason. Changing a tube on the road with a GP5000 is not an experience I ever want to replicate.

I’m not in tubeless or hookless world yet, either, but I’ve noticed the same over the last few years, and have changed my installation technique. With these newer tires, Conti 5000 included, you really want to put one tire side on and make sure it’s in the center of the rim, where the wheel circumferences is the smallest. Then make sure the second side is also positioned in the center of the rim, as you put on the tire inch by inch, so no part of the tire is near the rim sidewall. Once you’ve placed 95% of the tire in the smallest circumference area, you are ready to pop over the last few inches. The last few inches of the tire to be installed, should be the only portion of the entire tire near the rim’s outer edge, with everything else in the center of the rim, and then they pop over fairly easily. Otherwise, if you install these new tires, like your old tire stock, and use a less optimal method, they can be a total bear. Best of luck!

This. The second side should, in theory, be no harder than the first side. Get the beads centered in the rim channel, and the last few inches should be much easier.

(old rims and new tires for me)