College Football Transfer Portal

It is crazy the number of starters who have decided to hit the transfer portal.

OU’s starting QB
Ohio State’s starting QB
Duke’s starting QB

And this is just the beginning.

Interesting how Nebraska’s Matt Rhule said to get a good QB in the portal it was going to cost $1 to $1.5M to get a good one.

So much for not paying college athletes.

It is crazy the number of starters who have decided to hit the transfer portal.

OU’s starting QB
Ohio State’s starting QB
Duke’s starting QB

And this is just the beginning.

Interesting how Nebraska’s Matt Rhule said to get a good QB in the portal it was going to cost $1 to $1.5M to get a good one.

The combination of NIL/portal has or is in the process of ruining college football. I don’t blame the young men for taking advantage of the system to make $, but the system as it currently exists sucks, and is ruining the game.

The combination of NIL/portal has or is in the process of ruining college football. I don’t blame the young men for taking advantage of the system to make $, but the system as it currently exists sucks, and is ruining the game.

It is all in your perspective. Don’t get me wrong I love college football and have been a season ticket holder for over a decade, but I didn’t agree with the previous system. I don’t see the young men taking advantage of the system, I see the new system as being more equitable than the old system which took advantage of the young men.

and is ruining the game.

Coach Prime also openly told his alumni that for the Buffs to get better, he was going to need a lot more money.

I’m not sure it’s ruining the game in any measurable way. FCS football has been on a regular path to increased professionalization for decades. From coaches being the highest paid - by far - employee of each system, to enormous media deals turn through conferences, resulting in conference memberships that are, on paper, ridiculous (Stanford to ACC).

And the ratings and popularity only go up and up. I have zero problem with players getting their piece of the pie - it shouldn’t be staff, advertisers, and media personalities cashing in on the millions while the people providing the actual value just get cough an “education” - with the exception of the few who make it at the next level.

Maybe at some point it’ll be a bridge too far and all come crashing down. And I wouldn’t mind seeing that - schadenfreude. But the quaint notion of amateur student-athletes, character-building, etc, slipped away some decades ago. Time to embrace that it’s just a professional development league with a patina of collegiate branding applied as a sticker on top.

It is all in your perspective. Don’t get me wrong I love college football and have been a season ticket holder for over a decade, but I didn’t agree with the previous system. I don’t see the young men taking advantage of the system, I see the new system as being more equitable than the old system which took advantage of the young men.

I’m not disagreeing with the new NIL system. However, I don’t think the NCAA thought it through very well. NIL has made the portal the wild wild west of college athletics.

I saw somewhere that is about twice what Brock Purdy makes for the 49ers.

I’m not sure what the NCAA can do about it. Anything they try to do to create parity would probably be met with a lawsuit that they would lose. It’s a free market and schools have a lot of money.

I’m not disagreeing with the new NIL system. However, I don’t think the NCAA thought it through very well. NIL has made the portal the wild wild west of college athletics.

I am not sure the NCAA had much choice.

I did see the article, below, yesterday though and thought it funny. No self interest by the NCAA leaders at all.

The statistic that stands out to me - the BIG10 got 1B/year for football TV rights in the last round. Not sure how anyone could consider the old system as equitable with that kind of money moving around.

NCAA Leaders Warn Congress - College Sports risk permanent damage from NIL

I’m not sure what the NCAA can do about it. Anything they try to do to create parity would probably be met with a lawsuit that they would lose. It’s a free market and schools have a lot of money.

They control the transfer rules.

I actually like the transfer portal. I always felt bad for the kids who were stuck behind a better QB, in an offense that didnt work out for them, wanted to be closer to home, made a questionable decision when they were 17, had an OC/HC leave in 4 years, etc.

The situation for kids change so much after 4 years, its silly to require them to stay - especially for a handful of the kids who have 1 chance to get real$.

I like the transfer portal. The transfer portal really should help two types of schools 1) football rich, 2) schools with better academics (which could potentially help a kid get into grad school).

If Jimbo fisher can get 75 million to not coach, I am fine with 2-3 transfers each year making a million.

I am not sure the NCAA had much choice.

I did see the article, below, yesterday though and thought it funny. No self interest by the NCAA leaders at all.

The statistic that stands out to me - the BIG10 got 1B/year for football TV rights in the last round. Not sure how anyone could consider the old system as equitable with that kind of money moving around.

NCAA Leaders Warn Congress - College Sports risk permanent damage from NIL

From the article

“The risk is we see states further build walls around their recruiting grounds, thinking that that somehow provides a competitive advantage,” Sankey said. “**The risk is that more and more young people sign agreements that they don’t understand. The risk is we move further and further from the academic nature of college sports.**”

That ship sailed a long time ago.

I would say that NIL probably keeps athletes in college longer. A player who is considered to be a 3rd/4th round draft pick can stay and make some money in college while refining their skills and improving their draft position. In years past, some players exited early for the draft because they needed/wanted money and/or were afraid of injury. Now, they can earn solid money while improving.

I think it will be interesting when someone like T Boone Pickens (RIP) or Warren Buffet decides to buy a team and drops a couple hundred million to essentially purchase a championship for their college/state. It can be done now. There are literally no limits.

At least the NFL has rules to keep $ from simply purchasing championships.

They control the transfer rules.

From here:

It is a near certainty that the NCAA will find itself at the center of antitrust scrutiny in the coming years following Alston. As more student-athletes feel that their already limited opportunity to monetize on their NIL rights are restricted by the transfer rules, the likelihood of an antitrust claim being brought under Section 1 of the Sherman Act will increase in lockstep. Just how broad the scope of these claims will be is yet to be seen, but the Supreme Court is already weary of the NCAA’s problematic relationship with the antitrust laws. As Justice Kavanaugh stated in his concurring opinion in Alston, “under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law.”

With Ewers returning to Texas, I would expect to see Arch Manning’s name on this list sooner than later.

I think it will be interesting when someone like T Boone Pickens (RIP) or Warren Buffet decides to buy a team and drops a couple hundred million to essentially purchase a championship for their college/state. It can be done now. There are literally no limits.

At least the NFL has rules to keep $ from simply purchasing championships.

That is essentially what happened with Texas A&M…it didn’t work that well.

Your point is 100% valid though. I like that players are finally getting legit money but there has to be some structure to this. It is the wild west right now.

Did manning think Ewers was leaving to go pro this year? (makes little sense given how much he can make via NIL).

I love the transfer portal because it gives people like Manning some wiggle room (USC, tOSU, FSU all looking for QB1s).

Did manning think Ewers was leaving to go pro this year? (makes little sense given how much he can make via NIL).

I love the transfer portal because it gives people like Manning some wiggle room (USC, tOSU, FSU all looking for QB1s).

There has some speculation about Ewers going pro all season. He just announced he would return to Texas recently to improve his draft position and put to rest his reliability concerns.

I don’t know what Arch was thinking… but he only has a handful of snaps with Texas in a game that was a blowout.

Maybe Uncle Peyton could help him get into Tennessee. He’s too smart for Ole Miss. Or maybe he goes to Ohio State.

Or maybe he will wait his turn at Texas.

What is going to be interesting is when a rich guy who cares about a non-revenue sport decides to pay for championships. I especially see this in “cute girl sports” (sue bird call out) like soccer, track, tennis - and it upends the leagues.

You could pay female soccer players 50g a year in college, and make the money back on it on marketing/twitter posts.

What is going to be interesting is when a rich guy who cares about a non-revenue sport decides to pay for championships. I especially see this in “cute girl sports” (sue bird call out) like soccer, track, tennis - and it upends the leagues.

You could pay female soccer players 50g a year in college, and make the money back on it on marketing/twitter posts.

I would guess Oklahoma softball starters are all near 50k. Which honestly seems too low with how much the games are being televised and viewership. I was shocked how low Jordy Bahl’s are reported as https://www.on3.com/db/jordy-bahl-162465/nil-deals/

The Portal was there, then the court ruled that players owned NIL… The NCAA had little play in this mess.

The thing that surprises me the most, is you would think NIL money could really shake up Basketball, Much smaller roster, but I don’t hear much about basketball (maybe its just me, cause I don’t follow College sports closely, and not a basketball follower)