College Football Playoff Semi-Finals Predictions

Sugar Bowl: Washington vs Texas
Rose Bowl: Michigan vs Alabama

Whatever happens, I think this might be one of the best semi-finals in awhile. 4 teams that can all win, all from different conferences. Every team has a weakness, they all have different strengths.

I’ll be at the Rose Bowl, hoping for a classic game.

Who does everyone have?

Texas and Alabama

+1

Washington and Michigan

As much as it pains me to root for Michigan, I hope they blow Alabama off the field. I mean a total decimation. That way I can say, “FSU got hosed so this POS team could get obliterated in front of a slightly larger, ESPN-approved audience?”

That’s what I want.

Texas and Michigan

Side note that the #5 vs #6 Orange Bowl matchup between FSU and UGA has become UGA vs FSU’s second and third string. At last count FSU has 33 players that have opted out (draft) or entered the transfer portal and will not play.

Georgia has very few that have done the same. 10 or so.

Georgia is going to maul FSU which will of course lead to the false narrative of “See… the CFP committee knew what they were doing by leaving FSU out.” This will be Georgia wailing on FSU’s JV squad.

Sugar Bowl: Washington vs Texas
Rose Bowl: Michigan vs Alabama

Whatever happens, I think this might be one of the best semi-finals in awhile. 4 teams that can all win, all from different conferences. Every team has a weakness, they all have different strengths.

I’ll be at the Rose Bowl, hoping for a classic game.

Who does everyone have?

As much as I would hate to see Alabama win another title, I’ll go with The Tide over the Huskies in the final.

https://awfulannouncing.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/94/2023/12/harbaugh-simpsons-832x447.png

I am going with Alabama and Texas but it could go either way. You are very fortunate to be going to the game, it should be a classic.

Texas and Michigan

Side note that the #5 vs #6 Orange Bowl matchup between FSU and UGA has become UGA vs FSU’s second and third string. At last count FSU has 33 players that have opted out (draft) or entered the transfer portal and will not play.

Georgia has very few that have done the same. 10 or so.

Georgia is going to maul FSU which will of course lead to the false narrative of “See…** the CFP committee knew what they were doing by leaving FSU out.**” This will be Georgia wailing on FSU’s JV squad.

I expect those same folks might point out that Louisville, a team FSU barely beat, got trounced by a weak USC team with their 2nd string QB last night.

I dont think you can take into account anything from the bowl games other than the top 4. With NIL and the Portal, once the regular season is over no team is the same. I think even more so the top teams that dont make it will have a lot of guys heading to Pros hitting the portal. Its a new age!

So torn on the Michigan Vs Bama game. Want both teams to get blown out.

Who ever wins, I hope they get blown out in the championship game.

Saban has shown over and over, with a month to prepare against a team, his squad will be ready. Michigan has never really shown this ability (Iowa has a better bowl record than Michigan). So I think 'bama wins it.

Washington wins the whole thing… more what I want, I have no-clue how the teams match up. Wont mind Washington blowing Texas out either.

I guess if you want to support FSU claim, a Mich. Washin final, with both first rounds being blow outs, would keep that argument going.

I dont think you can take into account anything from the bowl games other than the top 4. With NIL and the Portal, once the regular season is over no team is the same. I think even more so the top teams that dont make it will have a lot of guys heading to Pros hitting the portal. Its a new age!

Very true.

I’m just curious why so many top players with a year of eligibility left are transferring to other teams. I assume that it is for NIL money, which I guess I understand.

I’m just curious why so many top players with a year of eligibility left are transferring to other teams. I assume that it is for NIL money, which I guess I understand.

And playing time, which could help their draft status.

We’re going to see it more and more at both ends of the distribution.

Not getting playing time? Transfer.

You’re a star? Use the portal to test the NIL market and transfer if you get a better offer than the one that is keeping you where you are.

A few years from now we are going to see that graduation rates are going to measurably dip in football and men’s basketball.

You’re a star? Use the portal to test the NIL market and transfer if you get a better offer than the one that is keeping you where you are.

A few years from now we are going to see that **graduation rates are going to measurably dip in football **and men’s basketball.

I wonder about that. There is now a lot of incentive for players to stay in school for their full 5 years if they can make NIL money and will not be a high draft choice. There is also the graduate transfer rule that allows players to transfer a 2nd time if they have graduated. We also tend to focus a lot on the big name transfers but most players that enter the portal don’t end up going anywhere.

The only thing certain in College Football is chaos. Lots of chaos.

A few years from now we are going to see that graduation rates are going to measurably dip in football and men’s basketball.

The head scratcher for me was Kyle McCord transferring to Syracuse. For selfish reasons I love it but he was the starting QB for a team that was a Michigan loss away from playing in the CFP.

Syracuse’s main NIL supporter/scumbag said earlier this year that he wasn’t funding NIL stuff anymore. I think the university wanted him to stay away from the athletic program because he’s a scumbag.

So I wonder who is paying McCord.

A few years from now we are going to see that **graduation rates are going to measurably dip in football **and men’s basketball.

I wonder about that. There is now a lot of incentive for players to stay in school for their full 5 years if they can make NIL money and will not be a high draft choice. There is also the graduate transfer rule that allows players to transfer a 2nd time if they have graduated. We also tend to focus a lot on the big name transfers but most players that enter the portal don’t end up going anywhere.

The only thing certain in College Football is chaos. Lots of chaos.

So, you make good points and only time will tell.

I base my projection on:

As a professor, I see how hard it is to finish in a timely fashion after transferring, particularly after transferring late in a college career. Students who complete two years at one college often need three more at the next, due to scheduling challenges, prerequisites and so on. And that is for non-athletes. Athletes have it even harder because they have to schedule around practice times.

I think a lot of guys who enter the portal do not get picked up (the half of the distribution that is trying to move down a competitive level) and many of them will probably leave college, counting as a non-graduate at the first university.

From a Sports Illustrated article in 2022 (football data):
54% reported enrolling at a new school41% have not found a new school, are still looking, transferred to a non-NCAA school, or left their sport completely59% of scholarship transfers found a scholarship at a new FBS school8% left their scholarships and became walk-ons at a new school33% of players remain without a destination18% of walk-ons that transferred found a scholarship at a new schoolAbout one-third of FCS transfers land a scholarship at a new school36% of FCS transfers find a new school to sign with at all

I want Washington to be playing Alabama for the title. So I will go with that.

I am going with Alabama and Texas but it could go either way. You are very fortunate to be going to the game, it should be a classic.

My brother is a Michigan alum and I bought tickets after the Penn State game in hopes Michigan would end up in the Rose Bowl. The bet paid off and we have a great weekend planned. I’ve watched this game since the early 90’s and several attempts have been foiled over the years. Can’t wait for Monday!