CNN say EV sales are up but Tesla is dragging it down

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/07/business/tesla-ev-sales-slowdown-stock/index.html

‘‘Tesla made itself an easy target by failing to introduce new products fast enough to maintain customer interest. Also, its chief executive, Elon Musk, has become someone many people don’t want to associate themselves with, even for a good car.’’

‘‘Some automakers, including Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Rivian, are reporting EV sales growth of more than 50% over the past year, noted Stephanie Valdez Streaty, an analyst with Cox Automotive, in a presentation summarizing industry trends in the new year. Ford later said its EV sales were up 86%.
“Looking at the data, the big slowdown is shaping up to be a Tesla slowdown,” said Valdez Streaty.’’

It amazes me that Elon doesn’t realize or doesn’t care that everything he’s been doing is driving his liberal customers away from his company.

It amazes me that Elon doesn’t realize or doesn’t care that everything he’s been doing is driving his liberal customers away from his company.

Liberal customers?

More accurately, Elon doesn’t care that everything he’s been doing is driving just regular sane customers away from his company.

https://www.cnn.com/...own-stock/index.html

‘‘Tesla made itself an easy target by failing to introduce new products fast enough to maintain customer interest. Also, its chief executive, Elon Musk, has become someone many people don’t want to associate themselves with, even for a good car.’’

‘‘Some automakers, including Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Rivian, are reporting EV sales growth of more than 50% over the past year, noted Stephanie Valdez Streaty, an analyst with Cox Automotive, in a presentation summarizing industry trends in the new year. Ford later said its EV sales were up 86%.
“Looking at the data, the big slowdown is shaping up to be a Tesla slowdown,” said Valdez Streaty.’’

**It amazes me that Elon doesn’t realize or doesn’t care that everything he’s been doing is driving his liberal customers away from his company. **

Odd conclusion from the report.

% are funny thing, and with such a large % of the market share, of course they are the market so its no surprise their market share controls the segment.

I don’t know the numbers but lets say Tesla sold 100k vehicles and Gm 1k gm sales double (100% increase) and telsa sales drop 5% (5k cars) so industry went down from 101k to 97k.

None of that really speaks to the market as GM’s gains were so insignificant to not really matter, and tesla drop was tiny for them.

As for Liberal customers being driven away, I got nothing on that as I don’t even understand the comment.

The bigger issue for Tesla is they are running out of fanboys. They now need to get mainstream customers, one’s who have for all their life relied on dealerships, car salesman, a place to take a car to get fixed, ones who want to drive their car with or without their phone etc… Being an out there car design, gets a small % of the market, but can alienate a large %. Not even getting into quality concerns.

Scaling up distribution, without a dealer network is also a pretty big logistic issue, that Tesla has struggled with. It was easier when their was no real competition but now the traditional oem’s are building some respectable EV’s and customers have choices.

Here’s what I don’t get. Virtually all car companies update their product lineup every 7 years, with refreshes in between. Tesla does minor refreshes but their vehicle lineup is all 7 years or older at this point. I have seen/heard nothing to suggest that they have an all new Model X/Y etc…

What the fuck is Tesla doing? How long do they think that customers will continue to buy old products when everyone else is pumping out new vehicles, including EVs that are as good, if not better EVs than Tesla?

Here’s what I don’t get. Virtually all car companies update their product lineup every 7 years, with refreshes in between. Tesla does minor refreshes but their vehicle lineup is all 7 years or older at this point. I have seen/heard nothing to suggest that they have an all new Model X/Y etc…

What the fuck is Tesla doing? How long do they think that customers will continue to buy old products when everyone else is pumping out new vehicles, including EVs that are as good, if not better EVs than Tesla?

you can get a model 3 and model y now for well under $40,000. what other EV is comparable to that with similar features and charging capabilities?

As for Liberal customers being driven away, I got nothing on that as I don’t even understand the comment.//

You dont understand that the figurehead of a company can affect their sales positively or negatively depending on people’s perception of that person?? I mean it is just a car that can easily be replaced by many other companies cars at this point. And I dont see anything on the horizon that says we are coming out with the latest and greatest thing in the EV market, so even a small dislike of him will certainly affect sales, forget about the hatred he generates in a lot of people. I think a lot of CEO’s of today have found out the hard way to not dip too far into one side or the other in politics, and now all the offshoots it has created. Like the anti vax, anti sciences, abortion, etc, categories that still generate a lot of emotions in folks. Elon has a way of pissing off just about everyone these days, all he really needs to do now is donate a whole bunch of money to the Biden campaign and it will be like the eclipse in Texas, totality!!!

I dont pay too much mind about these things, but in the very back of my mind if two things are equal, I probably go for the one where I dont even know the figurehead’s politics…

Hyundai Ionic 5. Bigger battery and further range than the base Model Y.

Not apples to apples though. What’s the price of the long range Model Y? That one is closer to the Ioniq and there’s no way in hell it’s $40,000

if you qualify for the point-of-sale tax rebate the MYLR is ~$37k ish before taxes and fees.

ETA - I’ve seen a few of those Ionic 5s around; they are good looking cars.

As for Liberal customers being driven away, I got nothing on that as I don’t even understand the comment.//

You dont understand that the figurehead of a company can affect their sales positively or negatively depending on people’s perception of that person?? I mean it is just a car that can easily be replaced by many other companies cars at this point. And I dont see anything on the horizon that says we are coming out with the latest and greatest thing in the EV market, so even a small dislike of him will certainly affect sales, forget about the hatred he generates in a lot of people. I think a lot of CEO’s of today have found out the hard way to not dip too far into one side or the other in politics, and now all the offshoots it has created. Like the anti vax, anti sciences, abortion, etc, categories that still generate a lot of emotions in folks. Elon has a way of pissing off just about everyone these days, all he really needs to do now is donate a whole bunch of money to the Biden campaign and it will be like the eclipse in Texas, totality!!!

I dont pay too much mind about these things, but in the very back of my mind if two things are equal, I probably go for the one where I dont even know the figurehead’s politics…

what are elon’s politics?

what vehicles do you drive?

if you qualify for the point-of-sale tax rebate the MYLR is ~$37k ish before taxes and fees.

Hence all the upset Model Y owners from 2023 and earlier who saw their resale value crash.

Overall I really like the direct-to-consumer model and even the “dynamic” pricing. I hope it propagates to more brands. That’s a check in the “Tesla” box for me. Lots of checks in the other column too, though.

The article does make a fair point that leasing is a decent protection against Tesla price fluctuations. Leasing is not in my DNA, though.

Hence all the upset Model Y owners from 2023 and earlier who saw their resale value crash.

Overall I really like the direct-to-consumer model and even the “dynamic” pricing. I hope it propagates to more brands. That’s a check in the “Tesla” box for me. Lots of checks in the other column too, though.

The article does make a fair point that leasing is a decent protection against Tesla price fluctuations. Leasing is not in my DNA, though.

I can only speak for me but if I were to go down the EV route right now… I would lease. Not enough long term battery data yet to make me feel comfortable with buying one.

**Hence all the upset Model Y owners from 2023 and earlier who saw their resale value crash. **

I’ve had two orders for MY’s over the past 3 years. For various reasons, I have canceled them (none to do with my desire for the vehicle, just put money towards other things). This was one of the configurations (they were very similar, and this was when white was the free color):

(I’m not sure how visible that is, but about $65,000)

This same vehicle right now (when white is an upcharge) from inventory:

Not sure how visible that is, but $53,400 prior to any available tax incentive if you qualify. (and I could actually find one locally that is white with a white interior - more expensive - for $49,000ish).

So even though I’ve wasted $500, I’ve “saved” (if I actually end up buying one) almost $12,000! I could certainly understand their annoyance. Although everyone that purchased a new or used car from ~2021 - 2022 could say something similar with regard to their depreciation.

Annotation 2024-04-08 105549.jpg
Annotation 2024-04-08 105741.jpg
Annotation 2024-04-08 105549.jpg

I don’t know what elon has done, to politically piss off the liberal’s. And no When spending $50k + so basically you house or your car, I don’t many take the CEOs politics into consideration. How many CEO’s do you even know their political leaning. Sure they have a public face, but do you think they vote they way they talk for the company (your a fool if you think they do) these people are paid to put a corporate spin on things. Now Elon is not your normal CEO. But I did not know he had a conservative leaning.

I can only speak for me but if I were to go down the EV route right now… I would lease. Not enough long term battery data yet to make me feel comfortable with buying one.

How to say you don’t follow EV’s without saying that.

How many miles of data on how many vehicles do you need? Lots of data, As long as the OEM ran thermal control on the batteries (EDIT – Nissan Leaf did not thermal protect not Prius) they are running way longer, with less losses than expected, early Tessla’s and Volts are 2 of many examples of batteries that are well over 200k and minimal losses.

Body, sheetmetal stampings are expensive, if you can keep that and just improve the mechanics underneath you can save a lot of money to pass on in lower prices or make more profit. Look at GM’s G van, I have lost how old that is now 15yrs? tools long paid for.

Tesla could get away with it, as they had no competition and they were unique and not a ton out there, now the numbers are growing, people have seen it, newer stuff is out, and another reason the have a sales issue.

I don’t know what elon has done, to politically piss off the liberal’s.//

Well like I said, he pisses off everyone at some point, but havent you followed his buyout of twitter and the way he has run it since then? You know when it was worth over 40 billion and now 5 to 10 billion? Perfect example of how a figurehead and their decisions can affect a company, on steroids…Letting back in all the skinkeads, white supremest’s, Trump, seems like a recipe to piss off liberals to me?

And my point is that I shouldn’t know what the political leanings of CEO’s are, or if I do, it doesnt effect how they run their companies. Give two shits what they believe or how they vote, just dont force it down our throats in your everyday business. When Elon goes on an anti vax rant in public and it gets reported, that offends me. If he just doesnt get vaccines, I dont give a fuck, he can roll those dice however he wants, just dont put your shit on easily influenced folks that maybe dont have your resources…

You dont understand that the figurehead of a company can affect their sales positively or negatively depending on people’s perception of that person??

Well like I said, he pisses off everyone at some point, but havent you followed his buyout of twitter and the way he has run it since then? You know when it was worth over 40 billion and now 5 to 10 billion? Perfect example of how a figurehead and their decisions can affect a company, on steroids…Letting back in all the skinkeads, white supremest’s, Trump, seems like a recipe to piss off liberals to me?

And my point is that I shouldn’t know what the political leanings of CEO’s are, or if I do, it doesnt effect how they run their companies. .

Okay I am confused.

How to say you don’t follow EV’s without saying that.

How many miles of data on how many vehicles do you need? Lots of data, As long as the OEM ran thermal control on the batteries (Prius - not) they are running way longer, with less losses than expected, early Tessla’s and Volts are 2 of many examples of batteries that are well over 200k and minimal losses.
This. My EV is 8 years old. I don’t even baby the battery (limit to 80%) I full send it to 100% every charge. The car still has the same range it did 8 years ago. Or at least similar enough that I didn’t notice any degradation. This is a typical experience with very few exceptions. One being the battery in the original ugly-bug Nissan Leaf degrades quicker.

You dont understand that the figurehead of a company can affect their sales positively or negatively depending on people’s perception of that person??

And my point is that I shouldn’t know what the political leanings of CEO’s are, or if I do, it doesnt effect how they run their companies. .

Okay I am confused.

What is the confusion? Elon is trying to use his enormous influence to push some horrible right-wing stuff into our politics. What car you drive is, to many people, an important statement about who you are. It’s a big dollar item, you have tons of choices, and cars are marketed/seen as a personal reflection. For some liberals, buying a Tesla — while once kinda cool — is now iffy, both because it further enriches Elon and it could be seen as a statement about your view of his politics.

Okay I am confused.

What is the confusion? Elon is trying to use his enormous influence to push some horrible right-wing stuff into our politics. What car you drive is, to many people, an important statement about who you are. It’s a big dollar item, you have tons of choices, and cars are marketed/seen as a personal reflection. For some liberals, buying a Tesla — while once kinda cool — is now iffy, both because it further enriches Elon and it could be seen as a statement about your view of his politics.

I am confused by monty questioning me on my I got nothing on liberals not driving Tesla’s, He then says you don’t understand how a corperate figure head can impact sales, To which I said, I don’t know elons politics (I mean he pissed of the Trump with Twitter) But he then says well he pissed off everyone, and that his point is that he should not know the leaning of a ceo and if he did it doesn’t effect how they run the company… Which was my sort of my original point of I got nothing on why Liberals avoid Tesla’s (which I don’t think they do).

So why you then went off on an elon flyer is even more odd, as the conversation you injected into was about Monty’s comments to me and not at all really about Elon.

but to your statements about Elon, I have Zero clue about any right wing stuff he pushed into our politics but I am not confused about that, cause I simply don’t care, how people choose to spend their money.