Christianity and decency

Interesting article about the re-emergence of a fascinating (and admirable) christian movement, the Social Gospel. And those WWJD bracelets? New age christianity? Nope, the slogan came from a popular 1897 novel, “In His Steps: What Would Jesus Do,” written by the Rev. Charles Sheldon, a Social Gospel leader. The UAW strikes, the fight against poverty, christianity, and empathy all wrapped up in a single movement.

There’s another Christian movement that’s changing our politics. It has nothing to do with whiteness or nationalism
https://www.cnn.com/...blake-cec/index.html
https://media.cnn.com/api/v1/images/stellar/prod/231110134428-02-social-gospel-analysis.jpg

Jesus would be proud.

the far right evangelicals are the most un-christian of people in their actions at times.

Jesus would be proud.

He’d most likely be befuddled as to why these people are so worried about getting more money when the world is about to end and the Kingdom of Heaven come into being. Worried about material things when they should be repenting and getting right with God.

Jesus would be proud.

He’d most likely be befuddled as to why these people are so worried about getting more money when the world is about to end and the Kingdom of Heaven come into being. Worried about material things when they should be repenting and getting right with God.

Are we certain that date is imminent?

If there is any single concept that history has taught us about religion, it’s that adherents can and will find whatever they need in the scriptures, beliefs, or customs of their chosen religion to justify almost any choice or course of action. Sometimes that works for good and sometimes for evil, but it’s rare to find a significant social, political, or ideological movement that doesn’t find ways to support its objectives with tailored aspects or interpretations of religion.

Jesus would be proud.

Are we certain that date is imminent?

The point is, he was certain.

If there is any single concept that history has taught us about religion, it’s that adherents can and will find whatever they need in the scriptures, beliefs, or customs of their chosen religion to justify almost any choice or course of action. Sometimes that works for good and sometimes for evil, but it’s rare to find a significant social, political, or ideological movement that doesn’t find ways to support its objectives with tailored aspects or interpretations of religion.

No matter how bad some religious guidance is, you’ll generally found most adherents being decent people. No matter how good the guidance is, you’ll find some that pervert it to behave badly.

I assume this is sarcasm? From my recollection, Jesus care quite a bit about the comfort of lower-class-type people during their time on earth. Made sure they had bread and stuff. He was quite a social justice warrior himself.

This theory seems to have gone overboard on Jesus’s teachings about social issues. His main message had nothing to do with social issues. It was that he was God and his kingdom was at hand. Give up your life and follow him. He had a heart for the poor and downtrodden but at the end of the day his goal was not to make everyone wealthy or have a better job. Those were not his concerns.

This article is really dumb. “Would Jesus have been on a picket line?” Not only NO, but my lord NO. He was not concerned about your work situation or the money you maid. He wanted you to believe him, give all you have to the poor and follow him.

Jesus was not concerned if the fisherman had bad work conditions or the guys at the dock were screwing them on the price of Cod that day. He told them to leave their nets and follow him.

These folks are trying to read into a Jesus theory that they are using for their own perceived ideas of what is right but it is not in the bible.

Well, this is an interesting, if nihilistic, view. It is almost like you’re saying that religion, any religion, is essentially meaningless. Not that I am saying that you are right or wrong, but aren’t you yourself a Christian?

These folks are trying to read into a Jesus theory that they are using for their own perceived ideas of what is right but it is not in the bible.

Do you mean like these folks?

https://www.thewrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Bus.jpg

Well, this an interesting, if nihilistic, view. It is almost like you’re saying that religion, any religion, is essentially meaningless. Not that you are right or wrong, but aren’t you yourself a Christian?

It’s not meaningless. Christian suicide bombers aren’t really a phenomenon like Muslim ones are. It’s just that like humans do with most things, they arrive at a conclusion and then justify it, including with religion. Hence, today’s prosperity preachers.

Do you mean like these folks?

https://www.thewrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Bus.jpg

I have found common ground with you there. Nut jobs think Jesus cares about your guns for some reason and I don’t get it. Never heard of Peter or Luke concealed carrying around Galilee.

Well, this is an interesting, if nihilistic, view. It is almost like you’re saying that religion, any religion, is essentially meaningless. Not that I am saying that you are right or wrong, but aren’t you yourself a Christian?

I’m not commenting on whether or not the religions are meaningless. But every religion is populated by fallible people, and people’s views and interpretations of religion have frequently tended to be colored by their perspectives on other considerations such as personal profit or advantage, desired outcomes of a political or social issue, etc.

I’m not saying this is always for the negative. I’m just saying that people have historically not been shy about deciding the outcome they want, and then finding the support in religion to justify that outcome or the measures they would take to achieve the outcome.

If there is any single concept that history has taught us about religion, it’s that adherents can and will find whatever they need in the scriptures, beliefs, or customs of their chosen religion to justify almost any choice or course of action. Sometimes that works for good and sometimes for evil, but it’s rare to find a significant social, political, or ideological movement that doesn’t find ways to support its objectives with tailored aspects or interpretations of religion.Well, this is an interesting, if nihilistic, view. It is almost like you’re saying that religion, any religion, is essentially meaningless. Not that I am saying that you are right or wrong, but aren’t you yourself a Christian?I’m not commenting on whether or not the religions are meaningless. But every religion is populated by fallible people, and people’s views and interpretations of religion have frequently tended to be colored by their perspectives on other considerations such as personal profit or advantage, desired outcomes of a political or social issue, etc. I’m not saying this is always for the negative. I’m just saying that people have historically not been shy about deciding the outcome they want, and then finding the support in religion to justify that outcome or the measures they would take to achieve the outcome.

I really do not differ with you at all on this.

But, based on your reasoning, people also decide on outcomes on all kinds of things irrelevant of religion or even being atheists. So, if the tenets or philosophy of a religion can be bent willy-nilly for good, for bad, or for pretty much any direction, does that not, in effect, make religion sort of meaningless? If this logic is correct, it seems like religion becomes just an afterthought or window dressing, not a set of powerful guidelines for thought, action or belief. I am asking this, not asserting this. What do you think?

If there is any single concept that history has taught us about religion, it’s that adherents can and will find whatever they need in the scriptures, beliefs, or customs of their chosen religion to justify almost any choice or course of action. Sometimes that works for good and sometimes for evil, but it’s rare to find a significant social, political, or ideological movement that doesn’t find ways to support its objectives with tailored aspects or interpretations of religion.Well, this is an interesting, if nihilistic, view. It is almost like you’re saying that religion, any religion, is essentially meaningless. Not that I am saying that you are right or wrong, but aren’t you yourself a Christian?I’m not commenting on whether or not the religions are meaningless. But every religion is populated by fallible people, and people’s views and interpretations of religion have frequently tended to be colored by their perspectives on other considerations such as personal profit or advantage, desired outcomes of a political or social issue, etc. I’m not saying this is always for the negative. I’m just saying that people have historically not been shy about deciding the outcome they want, and then finding the support in religion to justify that outcome or the measures they would take to achieve the outcome.

But, based on your reasoning, people also decide on outcomes on all kinds of things irrelevant of religion or even being atheists. So, if the tenets or philosophy of a religion can be bent willy-nilly for good, for bad, or for pretty much any direction, does that not, in effect, make religion sort of meaningless? If this logic is correct, it seems like religion becomes just an afterthought or window dressing, not a set of powerful guidelines for thought, action or belief. I am asking this, not asserting this. What do you think?

Yeah, I’m not arguing that the only thing people ever use to justify action is religion. And I’m not saying that all people abuse religion. But the historical examples are frequent enough to illustrate that many many people will, sometimes deliberately and sometimes unconsciously, interpret religion in ways that supports views they might have already held. That doesn’t make religion meaningless, but should just act as a caution to be careful when you hear someone appealing to religious scriptures or ideas when promoting some political, social, or commercial movement. Some examples are obvious; “buy this car because it’s the car Jesus would have driven.” Some are less so; “go on strike because Jesus would have supported the struggle of workers to demand fairness.” And the degree to which these justifications actually are legitimately supported by religion will clearly vary to a great degree and may be a matter of interpretation more than clear and obvious fact.

Amen brother!

Well said. Anybody care to refute?

Yeah, I’m not arguing that the only thing people ever use to justify action is religion. And I’m not saying that all people abuse religion. But the historical examples are frequent enough to illustrate that many many people will, sometimes deliberately and sometimes unconsciously, interpret religion in ways that supports views they might have already held. That doesn’t make religion meaningless, but should just act as a caution to be careful when you hear someone appealing to religious scriptures or ideas when promoting some political, social, or commercial movement. Some examples are obvious; “buy this car because it’s the car Jesus would have driven.” Some are less so; “go on strike because Jesus would have supported the struggle of workers to demand fairness.” And the degree to which these justifications actually are legitimately supported by religion will clearly vary to a great degree and may be a matter of interpretation more than clear and obvious fact.

Communism or Environmentalism? (Personally I’d argue the fervor of religion is substituted by them)

Why is it that we all define narrow-mindedness is you not understanding my perspective.

I try and take a different approach: Liberation Theology, Feminist theology, even Fundamentalism are merely the best theological understanding one can hope to have given their set of life experiences.

I’ll give a simple yet illustrative example. We all know the song “Mary had a little lamb.” What do the lyrics mean to you? If you grew up in a society that did not allow married women to work, would you clue into the fact that Mary was possibly a widow while others who didn’t have that experience might not? Are we really sure that there needs to be a definitive answer on that?

Shakespeare is still performed centuries later because he specifically didn’t tell us what was right. Did Hamlet’s uncle really kill Hamlet’s dad? Who’s to say? Maybe Hamlet wanted the crown and deceived himself.

Here’s the truth: you don’t know and neither do I. I am as petrified of living forever as I am being dead forever. So being a good and kind neighbor really might be the most important message to me. But my friend whose children died. He needs to seem them again. And I don’t need to try and take that from him.

Communism or Environmentalism? (Personally I’d argue the fervor of religion is substituted by them)

I’m sure there are environmentalists who think their religion supports the need for men to be greater stewards of the natural world around us, to care for animals, to safeguard the planet for the future benefit of our descendants, etc.

As for communism, well, there was Christian communism before Marxist communism, and variations of it continue today. That said, sure, the communism we typically think of associated with Marx and the Soviets tends to be anti-religion.