Challenge Sandefjord (Norway) canceled right before the start

Half distance race to be held in Sandefjord (Norway) under Challenge brand, was cancelled minutes before the start, allegedly due to traffic on the bike course; story here: Major triathlon race cancelled on safety grounds after road users fail to obey local closures - Elite News - TRI247

That’s incredibly bizarre. Would’ve understood if this had happened in a country of rebels like Poland or France (never has, to my knowledge) but friggin’ Norway?

“Road users failing to obey” is not clear enough. Local resident(s) stealing traffic signs and sabotaging the race road closures is more accurate.

There is more to this i read in other places many things were not in place at all to prganize this, timining mats etc

Things I’ve read make it sound like a bit of a clusterfuck, not just a few signs going awol.

Wasn’t there a Challenge race that also failed to payout the pro’s? This is a tough look for challenge, outside of Roth.

That’s incredibly bizarre. Would’ve understood if this had happened in a country of rebels like Poland or France (never has, to my knowledge) but friggin’ Norway?

Please enlighten this polish guy on Poland being a country of rebels. I’ve only live in Europe for 2.5 years

I think Kajet has played Poland down a bit. Unnecessary, in my opinion.

Protests happen, but they’re rebellious mostly when a higher virtue is at risk. Almost nobody rebels for fun, burns cars, run shops etc. This is generally a matter of democracy, freedom or common enemy.

In recent years I’ve done: IM Gdynia, 5150 Warsaw and Challenge Gdansk. All were organized perfectly, up to the highest standards.

so why did they not do a swim run race ,

I’m from Italy; despite our traditions (Giro, Sanremo, Lombardia, Tirreno Adriatico etc.), local residents often become ah*s against cycling events: I can remember a few cases with thumbtacks spreaded on the roads. But I can’t remember a similar fact (last minute cancellation) happening here, at least not in a major event

Because everything was messed up. To me this seems like an easy way out without having to repay people in full.

Protests happen, but they’re rebellious mostly when a higher virtue is at risk. Almost nobody rebels for fun, burns cars, run shops etc. This is generally a matter of democracy, freedom or common enemy.

In recent years I’ve done: IM Gdynia, 5150 Warsaw and Challenge Gdansk. All were organized perfectly, up to the highest standards.

This isn’t playing down, just noting that we don’t have a culture of obedience like most of the West and especially the Nordic countries. Living in Germany and Switzerland, I’m sure you’ve noticed the difference. The standard Polish response to “it’s forbidden” is “but why!!!??”, and that’s fine. It’s a feature, not a bug.

Yes, triathlons are very well-run here and not just the big international brands, and I did indicate that we’ve never had folks remove signage before races like it is alleged the Norwegian locals did.

One famous incident is the thumbtacks someone threw across the road in Gdynia one year, but it was isolated AFAIK.

Because everything was messed up. To me this seems like an easy way out without having to repay people in full.

i have no idea, but it seems they managed to hold the norwegian super series champs either the day before or after. since they have the results on their website.
anyway it makes sense to check the track record of a challenge franchise race organizer for the first year before signing up if one travels far.

From what I have read elsewhere, seems that the main issue was that it is harvest time and local farmers were unhappy that the road closures disrupted this.

I don’t know enough to comment on whether a half day road closure is truly detrimental and whether this is the fault of the organisers for not working better with the local community; but seems like you don’t want to get on the wrong side of Norwegian farmers.

This isn’t playing down, just noting that we don’t have a culture of obedience like most of the West and especially the Nordic countries. Living in Germany and Switzerland, I’m sure you’ve noticed the difference. The standard Polish response to “it’s forbidden” is “but why!!!??”, and that’s fine. It’s a feature, not a bug.

Yes, triathlons are very well-run here and not just the big international brands, and I did indicate that we’ve never had folks remove signage before races like it is alleged the Norwegian locals did.

One famous incident is the thumbtacks someone threw across the road in Gdynia one year, but it was isolated AFAIK.

Once again I don’t know why you called out those 2 countries , as that one incident seems isolated, and happens in other countries, so you know seems some racist vibe. I lived in Netherlands where we had hooligans, and here in USA rednecks throw tacos or drive you off the road with their 4x4

I singled out the two countries (including my own - auto-racism?) because of known tendencies for Poles to distrust governments and ignore “unreasonable” laws and for the French to protest.

You needn’t be such a tight ass, really.

Follow the money

Once again I don’t know why you called out those 2 countries , as that one incident seems isolated, and happens in other countries, so you know seems some racist vibe. I lived in Netherlands where we had hooligans, and here in USA rednecks throw tacos or drive you off the road with their 4x4

I’ve actually been hit with a beer can that the driver just finished.

I pulled off and called the police. Local cop arrives to take my statement and says something like “oh, yeah, we know who that is”.

yay 'merica.

I singled out the two countries (including my own - auto-racism?) because of known tendencies for Poles to distrust governments and ignore “unreasonable” laws and for the French to protest.

You needn’t be such a tight ass, really.

“Known”? No it’s not known, unless you provide evidence. All I know in Europe poles were viewed as the immigrant job takers of NW euro countries