CFP championship game predictions: And a solution to the chaos of college football

Michigan vs Washington, who do you have?

Michigan is built to beat this Washington team, they are basically the Ohio State team from 2 years ago that Michigan beat. I think Washington’s only path to winning is having Penix go off while Michigan can beat Washington in several ways. Michigan has a better D and O line and with the pressure they were able to put on Milroe, if they can do that gain it’s going to be hard for Washington. Michigan’s ground game can run the clock and keep Penix off the field and I believe that should be part of their game plan.

If the game is 30’s and above Washington has a better chance to win, if it’s below the 30’s I think Michigan takes the title.

My solution to the CFB landscape.

Problems
Transfer portal opening up between season and bowl games
Too long off between season and bowl games
NIL and bowl-opt outs
Chance of rivalry games (Mich/OSU, Alabama/Auburn) played multiple times a year

Solution
End the CFB season the first Saturday in December. Following week is the 4 games playing into the quarterfinals which are played at the higher seed team. Following week is the quarterfinals with the semi’s the week after, all would be played at NY6 bowls and have the championship game set before the holidays with some time off. CFP championship game Jan 1 at the Rose Bowl. it is the absolute best venue for this, holds tradition, high seating capacity, desirable spot and has the rose parade to kick off the day. The 2pm PT time slot works great for the holiday and east cost times with nothing starting too late. The 10-14 day break gives plenty of time to build and hype the national championship, and who wouldn’t want to spend NYE in the Pasadena area.

Season would be over Jan 2 before the NFL playoffs start.

So the biggest changes is move up the games a few weeks and move the championship to the Rose Bowl permanently.

College baseball plays their World Series in Omaha every year and college football should play their championships in Pasadena at the Rose Bowl permanently. One of the biggest worries of Rose Bowl officials is moving the game to the quarterfinals to keep it in the Jan 1st 2pm time slot is a reduction in the quality of matches, this solves all of that. Keep it on Jan 1 and have the best damn matchup possible.

Solving the bowl opt-outs or transfers. If a player transfers before Jan 2nd, they have to take a year off, but if they play in the bowl game, they can transfer and play the following year. It’s not a perfect solution and can be worked around, but could prevent games like FSU/Georgia.

I do believe at this point with the expanded CFB playoffs that conference championships are not longer necessary but do realize the financial gain is too lucrative to pass it up. I do think that maybe going to an 8-team playoff with the conference championship games playing as a “de-facto” first round could be a possibility, but I believe that ship has already sailed. However, stopping the conference championship games could reduce the likelihood of these main rivalry games played 2-3x/year.

The big issue is the NIL without holding the players obligated to play anywhere for any length of time. It is essentially NFL free agency without any contracts. in the NFL players are at least under contract and need to be traded, in CFB they can just pack up and leave. This also doesn’t have a salary cap, so schools like Minnesota that might have been able to get a big recruit could lose them to another school with deeper pockets and a bigger market. CFB is all about “fairness” with their rules. this is a HUGE gap in the fairness.

This is the new CFB landscape, I love and hate it, but think it can move forward reasonable with some smart changes.

So do what High School, NJCAA D1, NJCAA D3, NCAA D3, NCAA D2, NCAA D1AA does… Wow novel approach, I wonder why they never thought of this before.

I am guessing it will never work, I mean if that format worked other places would be doing it.

Do I really need the pink?

So do what High School, NJCAA D1, NJCAA D3, NCAA D3, NCAA D2, NCAA D1AA does… Wow novel approach, I wonder why they never thought of this before.

I am guessing it will never work, I mean if that format worked other places would be doing it.

Yeah that’s the most practicable but with all the bowl games and the NCAA not doing that for decades it’s obvious it will never be done.

But the NCAA doesn’t sanction the CFP playoffs, it’s the CFP, that is a big difference and I am not sure why or how that happened? The NCAA has never sanction CFB D-1A championships.

Do I really need the pink?

The 12 team playoff starts next year which will take care of most of the problems already.

Transfer portal needs to be delayed until spring.

Permanent change to Rose bowl, no thanks.

With the superconference consolidation that’s currently underway, everything will have to be fluid until there’s some conference stability.

GC5ErEAXgAA5xcJ.jpg

Michigan vs Washington, who do you have?

Michigan is built to beat this Washington team, they are basically the Ohio State team from 2 years ago that Michigan beat. I think Washington’s only path to winning is having Penix go off while Michigan can beat Washington in several ways. Michigan has a better D and O line and with the pressure they were able to put on Milroe, if they can do that gain it’s going to be hard for Washington. Michigan’s ground game can run the clock and keep Penix off the field and I believe that should be part of their game plan.

If the game is 30’s and above Washington has a better chance to win, if it’s below the 30’s I think Michigan takes the title.

I think you’re spot on. The best chance Washington has is to turn it into a shootout and hope Michigan can’t keep up. I’m thinking the OSU-Utah Rose bowl from a couple of years ago.

Michigan on pace for close to a thousand yards rushing in this game

Damn good offensive line and great playcalling and scheming.

Donovan Edward’s first two carries, 87 yards, 2 Tds

Plenty of game left but Michigan is showing you can still win championships off a solid run game and great defense. McCarthy has a few great tosses to boot.

Plenty of game left but Michigan is showing you can still win championships off a solid run game and great defense. McCarthy has a few great tosses to boot.

It is hard to admit but Michigan really is a great team and Harbaugh is a great coach.

It is hard to admit but Michigan really is a great team and Harbaugh is a great coach.

I’ve honestly never understood the hate for Harbaugh, but he seems like a love him or hate him guy.

He served his penalty this year, got rid of those that were causing all the trouble and has kept his mouth shut per NCAA orders.

That all said, he is a coach that can build a damn good culture and you can see it in the team. They all love each other, everyone on the team praises each other, lots of seniors came back specifically for this game. Just watch their interviews you can see it. This just doesn’t happen to any team and it’s rare in sports to see a team this close and connected, that is a product of Harbaugh’s coaching, his team is fully bought in.

Whatever happens in these next 30 minutes this is a team that will stay close for decades past this and Harbaugh is the man behind the gift.

I can respect that.

I’ve honestly never understood the hate for Harbaugh, but he seems like a love him or hate him guy.

He served his penalty this year, got rid of those that were causing all the trouble and has kept his mouth shut per NCAA orders.

That all said, he is a coach that can build a damn good culture and you can see it in the team. They all love each other, everyone on the team praises each other, lots of seniors came back specifically for this game. Just watch their interviews you can see it. This just doesn’t happen to any team and it’s rare in sports to see a team this close and connected, that is a product of Harbaugh’s coaching, his team is fully bought in.

Whatever happens in these next 30 minutes this is a team that will stay close for decades past this and Harbaugh is the man behind the gift.

I can respect that.

I don’t hate him, I just think he is an odd dude. A tall, odd, dude. He is a damn good coach though. He is going to make a boatload of money in the NFL.

I can respect that.

He was suspended twice this year for two different types of cheating, I can’t.

I can respect that.

You’re a tad biased

I can respect that.

That’s fine.

There is still ZERO evidence that he specifically was involved or knew about the sign stealing from his staff. He cleaned house of all those that were causing the problems. Had he kept them or is found to be guilty for sure. Yes he is 100% responsible for his staff and rogue staffers, I say good on him for removing him and taking the suspension, that is responsible in my opinion.

It’s kind of like when parents kids do bad things in school or break laws. You as the parent are responsible for their behavior, if you accept it, fix the problem and move on I don’t see that as a bad parent. if it happens again and the problem isn’t solved or you were with the kid, well then it’s different.

The other wasn’t cheating, he bought burgers for already committed players outside a special covid window, seems pretty damn trivial, but if in your context that is cheating so be it.

I can respect that.

You’re a tad biased

https://media2.giphy.com/media/3ofT5MppOjmbM68lMI/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47t2ut596sxqe7qa2j7jdkba51bivex28s7o18s8em&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

**He served his penalty this year, got rid of those that were causing all the trouble and has kept his mouth shut per NCAA orders. **

I can respect that.

OMG… no the NCAA was about to hand out a suspension, and then pulled it back - rumor they found even more shit, MICH. adminstration said, well Jim sit 3 games, hoping it will ease the punishment when it comes… Then later the sign stealing came out. MIchigan has at least 2 active NCAA investigations, that should come forward in the off-season with penalties. Many think they will have season’s (w/l) removed from the record, including this season. but no one knows.

But Jimbo has not served, any NCAA penalties.

I can respect that.

I don’t hate him, I just think he is an odd dude. A tall, odd, dude. He is a damn good coach though. He is going to make a boatload of money in the NFL.

You know he’s been there before, didn’t go all that well. He was nearly run out of Michigan, then turned things around the last few years (oh hey funny, the sign stealing started 3 yrs ago, I am sure its not related). He did well at stanford with a stud qb, followed him to the NFL with some success, till he lost his qb.

And now he will leave UofM before the NCAA punishments hit and the team goes back down.

I can respect that.

He was put on administrative leave by the Univ. and the second one the Univ was punished by the Big10 for unsportsmanlike behavior. Still waiting the NCAA penalties.

**He served his penalty this year, got rid of those that were causing all the trouble and has kept his mouth shut per NCAA orders. **

I can respect that.

OMG… no the NCAA was about to hand out a suspension, and then pulled it back - rumor they found even more shit, MICH. adminstration said, well Jim sit 3 games, hoping it will ease the punishment when it comes… Then later the sign stealing came out. MIchigan has at least 2 active NCAA investigations, that should come forward in the off-season with penalties. Many think they will have season’s (w/l) removed from the record, including this season. but no one knows.

But Jimbo has not served, any NCAA penalties.

keyword rumors.

To be more clear, Harbaugh served the BIG suspension on behalf of Michigan.

I know USC had some years taken away with a championship game I recalling watching that they won. Vacating wins is the most useless punishment. Florida State had to vacate wins, Ohio State, LSU had a couple seasons as well. I think just about every BIG school has had wins vacated, had scholarships removed, been put on probation, etc.

It’s almost like this is standard practice when you look over the past few decades in NCAA football.

I can respect that.

That’s fine.

There is still ZERO evidence that he specifically was involved or knew about the sign stealing from his staff. He cleaned house of all those that were causing the problems. Had he kept them or is found to be guilty for sure. Yes he is 100% responsible for his staff and rogue staffers, I say good on him for removing him and taking the suspension, that is responsible in my opinion.

It’s kind of like when parents kids do bad things in school or break laws. You as the parent are responsible for their behavior, if you accept it, fix the problem and move on I don’t see that as a bad parent. if it happens again and the problem isn’t solved or you were with the kid, well then it’s different.

The other wasn’t cheating, he bought burgers for already committed players outside a special covid window, seems pretty damn trivial, but if in your context that is cheating so be it.

Uhm the first one, he had a kid on campus, in the facility during a no contact period, kid even posted pic’s to social media, from the practice facility and with coaches. UoM fans made the burger the story, like the good trump folks make a side story and deflect.

NCAA still investigating both issues. the BIG 10 punished UofM and said they had to sit their coach, but still waiting for NCAA.